Thread: OT- Meeting a NY Sports Legend: Mike Richter

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

OT- Meeting a NY Sports Legend: Mike Richter

Yeterday and today I met and spoke with with Mike Richter. For those of you who don't know (I am sure almost all of you do) he was goalie of the Rangers when they won the Stanley Cup in 1994, 3 time all star, and inducted into the hockey Hall of fame in 2008.

Mike works in the same office building as me and I have passed by him a few times over the last year but never in a good situation to strike up a conversation. I did bring a Rangers goalie mask (bought one as a young kid) into work a few months back to get autographed in case I did bump into him again.

Yesterday when I get back into my office building after lunch I find myself in the elevator alone with Mike. I tell him it was a tough game the other day, especially to miss out on the playoffs on a shootout and he said it was pretty ridiculous that a shooutout determines who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. He tells me he still follows the team closely and watches some of their games. As he is about to get off at his floor, I ask him if I can stop by his office a few floors below mine some time to get my goalie mask signed. He gave me his business card and told me to call him today, which I did. I was suprised that on his business card his job title said "Partner." I was more expecting it to say "Partner/Goalie."

So today I call him and ask if I can come down and he says sure. I figured I would be in and out and he would just sign the mask but we started talking for a while (like 10 minutes). The guy is extremely friendly and seemed much more honored rather than annoyed that I recognized who he was and wanted his autograph. I told him that I passed by him a couple of times before but he was always on his way out of the building so I didn't stop him, but joked that I told my coworkers I should just wear the goalie mask around the office all day in case I did bump into him again. Pretty impressive that a hall of fame hockey player who is obviously already loaded works at a prive equity firm. I congratulated him on making the hall of fame and asked the question if being inducted or winning the cup was more important to him (I knew what the answer would be). He said defenitely winning the cup because that was his job and what he was paid to achieve. He tells me if any of my coworkers ever want to stop by to meet him I should just call him and he would be more than happy to.

I thought I would just share this story with you guys because I thought it was pretty cool and I know a good amount of you are also huge Rangers fans.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool story, even being a Devils fan. I really respect the athletes that accomodate to fans like that. A few years back, my younger brother sent in a couple sports cards to the Jets and Devils, asking for autographs. One was a Curtis Martin card and the other was a Martin Brodeur card. The Jets sent back an autographed card, except it wasn't the same card my brother had sent them. He sent them back and they ended up sending back his autographed rookie card along with the original card. I was very impressed by both the Jets and Martin. He never received anything back from the Devils. While I love the Devils and have been a huge fan of Brodeur's for a very long time, it's always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great story, he's a class act.
    Good for you bro:D

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    That story reminds me a little of when i met Mark Messier it was really random. I went to high school on the upper west side really near where he live so i had seen him around a few times but always like walking past him. but it was the day after his number was retired and 2 of my friends and I are sitting on a stoop eating lunch and He walks by with one of his kids and I recognize him and my friends and I all say our congratulations. he thanks us and before he starts walking again i tell him that winning the cup on my 5th birthday was the best gift anyone has ever given me. for some reason this kind of piqued his interest and he turned back and had like a 5 minute conversation with us about hockey and that playoff run, all the while we couldn't get over the fact that we were talking to mark messier, and he it seems couldn't believe that the rangers actually won the cup on my fifth birthday. it was awesome and none of us had a pen so we didn't ask for his autograph and that plus the fact that he kind of turned back, it made us feel that it wasn't just us worshipping him but him being really interested in the conversation. it was unlike any experience i have ever had with a famous person.
    Last edited by soks45; 04-14-2010 at 03:45 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice story and it's always nice for fans like us to see that many of the pro athletes are just nice guys or random people like you and me. I mean in the end we are all people and it's great that a lot of these guys don't forget that. I've been around a few pro athletes in my young life and many of them have been awesome to talk to, friendly and overall just very nice and down to earth. Then of course you have guys who think they are entitled to anything and are complete jerks. Just like in the "normal" society, you'll find different types of guys... glad you experienced a nice guy like Richter...

Since we share some stories, I got a pretty funny one actually too. I work for a german basketball magazine and so I've been to a bunch of Knicks games with press access which means you get to go to the locker, floor level and everything. The first time I ever went (I was 23 at the time, life long Knicks fan from Germany and basically was in awe of everything) I went down to the lockers after the game and I bump into Chase Blackburn from the Giants and his girlfriend. I wouldn't even have known who he was but I saw him on the video screen during the game. Now what does he do, he asks the overwhelmed young guy from Germany if he could help him to get out of the catacombs of Madison Square Garden! I knew the way so I told him where to go. He thanked me and then I asked him for a picture and his girlfriend took one. Thinking about it was just a really funny thing to have a Giants linebacker ask me out of all people to show him the way out of MSG...
    Last edited by Flaming Mo; 04-14-2010 at 06:51 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;3558105]Yeterday and today I met and spoke with with Mike Richter. For those of you who don't know (I am sure almost all of you do) he was goalie of the Rangers when they won the Stanley Cup in 1994, 3 time all star, and inducted into the hockey Hall of fame in 2008.

Mike works in the same office building as me and I have passed by him a few times over the last year but never in a good situation to strike up a conversation. I did bring a Rangers goalie mask (bought one as a young kid) into work a few months back to get autographed in case I did bump into him again.

Yesterday when I get back into my office building after lunch I find myself in the elevator alone with Mike. I tell him it was a tough game the other day, especially to miss out on the playoffs on a shootout and he said it was pretty ridiculous that a shooutout determines who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. He tells me he still follows the team closely and watches some of their games. As he is about to get off at his floor, I ask him if I can stop by his office a few floors below mine some time to get my goalie mask signed. He gave me his business card and told me to call him today, which I did. I was suprised that on his business card his job title said "Partner." I was more expecting it to say "Partner/Goalie."

So today I call him and ask if I can come down and he says sure. I figured I would be in and out and he would just sign the mask but we started talking for a while (like 10 minutes). The guy is extremely friendly and seemed much more honored rather than annoyed that I recognized who he was and wanted his autograph. I told him that I passed by him a couple of times before but he was always on his way out of the building so I didn't stop him, but joked that I told my coworkers I should just wear the goalie mask around the office all day in case I did bump into him again. Pretty impressive that a hall of fame hockey player who is obviously already loaded works at a prive equity firm. I congratulated him on making the hall of fame and asked the question if being inducted or winning the cup was more important to him (I knew what the answer would be). He said defenitely winning the cup because that was his job and what he was paid to achieve. He tells me if any of my coworkers ever want to stop by to meet him I should just call him and he would be more than happy to.

I thought I would just share this story with you guys because I thought it was pretty cool and I know a good amount of you are also huge Rangers fans.[/QUOTE]

Should have asked him whether his choking against the Flyers (his favorite team growing up) in '97 was a conscious or subliminal act...it's too much of a stretch to assign his choke job in '92 vs the Penguins to pride in being a Pennsylvanian.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to split hairs, but I think Mark Messier is the only one who rates as a "New York Sports Legend" from that team and time.

Great story though. Sounds like a great guy. Pro hockey players are generally the most friendly/down to earth of the pro athletes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3558726]Not to split hairs, but I think Mark Messier is the only one who rates as a "New York Sports Legend" from that team and time.

Great story though. Sounds like a great guy. Pro hockey players are generally the most friendly/down to earth of the pro athletes.[/QUOTE]

I always thought of Messier as an Oiler and just a hired gun by the Rangers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should have kicked Richter in the balls. He's a cheater. Has a sheet of plexiglass behind him covering the net.

Fans of ESPN commercials will know what I'm talkin' about! It's true, it's true!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;3558105]YI was suprised that on his business card his job title said "Partner." I was more expecting it to say "Partner/Goalie."[/QUOTE]

Srsly?

Just kidding, great story!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great story, Great Goalie, I was never able to tend goal after knee surgery....his whole story from start to finish is something.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;3558748]I always thought of Messier as an Oiler and just a hired gun by the Rangers.[/QUOTE]

I think he put his time in with the Rangers and delivered the goods - you can't really say that.

Similar to Reggie Jackson tho - made his name and built a HoF career elsewhere - came here and took it to another level.