Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Does the Marshall Trade Give the Jets More Reason to Draft a CB With its First Pick?

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,250

    Does the Marshall Trade Give the Jets More Reason to Draft a CB With its First Pick?

    I think it does. I wanted McCourty or Jackson before Marshall was traded to the Fins, and now I want the Jets to go that direction even more. Alternatively, Chris Cook in the second round wouldn't be a bad consolation prize, but there's no guarantee he'll last that long.

  2. #2
    No for a few reasons:

    1) Revis can handle Marshall, Cromartie can handle Bess, and Lowery can handle Camarillo.

    2) We need a pass rush and youth along the dline.

    Now if they feel a cornerback is the best player available, then that's fine. I just think that if you look at whose likely to be there at 29, corner would be more of a reach at this point.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,250
    My view has been that there's good CB value at the bottom of the first round (i.e., McCourty and Jackson). I definitely wouldn't want the Jets to reach for a CB. Also, I know our two starting CBs can cover the two starting WRs for each of our division opponents, but depth would give us a good insurance policy in case one of our CBs gets hurt and also give us a better nickel-back option for when we face teams with high powered passing attacks (i.e., Colts).

  4. #4
    Not really, we needed another CB regardless imo.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,862
    I can see the Jets taking a corner but not because of the Marshall trade.

    We don't have any glaring holes on this team outside of maybe DE, and we still have a solid young guy there in DeVito.

    I'd still prefer to go with a DL in the first and pick up someone like Dominique Franks or Brandon Ghee in round 2.

    But I'd have no objections to taking McCourty or Jackson at #29.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Why? The Fins only have 1 good WR and the Jets have 2 No. 1 CBs.

    That said, as mentioned, the Jets could still draft a CB high but it will have NOTHING to do with Marshall going to Miami.

  7. #7
    I don't like the idea of letting what other teams in your div do have a big impact on players you pick. If we draft a guy that can put Henne on his ass or flush him out then Marshall will not have a huge impact.

    The more I think about it the more I want a pass rusher. If only gholston had become the guy we had hoped.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I don't like the idea of letting what other teams in your div do have a big impact on players you pick. If we draft a guy that can put Henne on his ass or flush him out then Marshall will not have a huge impact.

    The more I think about it the more I want a pass rusher. If only gholston had become the guy we had hoped.
    agreed 100%

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    My view has been that there's good CB value at the bottom of the first round (i.e., McCourty and Jackson). I definitely wouldn't want the Jets to reach for a CB. Also, I know our two starting CBs can cover the two starting WRs for each of our division opponents, but depth would give us a good insurance policy in case one of our CBs gets hurt and also give us a better nickel-back option for when we face teams with high powered passing attacks (i.e., Colts).
    we need a pass rush,a pass rush,a pass rush.we must draft a defensive end.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    My view has been that there's good CB value at the bottom of the first round (i.e., McCourty and Jackson). I definitely wouldn't want the Jets to reach for a CB. Also, I know our two starting CBs can cover the two starting WRs for each of our division opponents, but depth would give us a good insurance policy in case one of our CBs gets hurt and also give us a better nickel-back option for when we face teams with high powered passing attacks (i.e., Colts).
    drafting for depth in the first two rounds is a no no.you can be rest assured that the jets go defensive line in the first two rounds.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,949
    The Jets are trading up for Eric Berry. They will find someone to rush the passer in the 2nd round.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The Jets are trading up for Eric Berry. They will find someone to rush the passer in the 2nd round.
    How are they going to trade up that high and still have a 2nd round pick?

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The Jets are trading up for Eric Berry. They will find someone to rush the passer in the 2nd round.
    He isn't getting past 7.

    Imagine what it would cost to move up 22 spots?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The Jets are trading up for Eric Berry. They will find someone to rush the passer in the 2nd round.


    Eric Berry is a top 7 pick. If the Jets want to trade up it will cost them their first, second and fourth rounders. That will be almsot the end of their draft. There will be no pass rusher or anything else.

    It should be
    1. DE or OLB
    2. OLB or DE
    4. CB

    The Jets have no other immediate needs than those. They are a very solid team with the above small draft picks. 6 & 7 BPA or used to move up. Frankly they have no available roster spots if you look at the roster.
    The OL is fine and can be addressed next year in the first round. No need to groom a great OLman. Brick and Mangold started day 1, as do many outstanding OL first rounders.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Eric Berry is a top 7 pick. If the Jets want to trade up it will cost them their first, second and fourth rounders. That will be almsot the end of their draft. There will be no pass rusher or anything else.

    It should be
    1. DE or OLB
    2. OLB or DE
    4. CB


    The Jets have no other immediate needs than those. They are a very solid team with the above small draft picks. 6 & 7 BPA or used to move up. Frankly they have no available roster spots if you look at the roster.
    The OL is fine and can be addressed next year in the first round. No need to groom a great OLman. Brick and Mangold started day 1, as do many outstanding OL first rounders.
    This!!! Period!

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Eric Berry is a top 7 pick. If the Jets want to trade up it will cost them their first, second and fourth rounders. That will be almsot the end of their draft. There will be no pass rusher or anything else.

    It should be
    1. DE or OLB
    2. OLB or DE
    4. CB

    The Jets have no other immediate needs than those. They are a very solid team with the above small draft picks. 6 & 7 BPA or used to move up. Frankly they have no available roster spots if you look at the roster.
    The OL is fine and can be addressed next year in the first round. No need to groom a great OLman. Brick and Mangold started day 1, as do many outstanding OL first rounders.
    It'd cost at least 2 firsts

  17. #17
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    agreed 100%
    +1000000 Our biggest need is a pass rusher!! If we can get to the QB without blizting at much...all of a sudden, our already good secondary gets alotttt scarier!!!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    It'd cost at least 2 firsts

    Maybe. You might be right. I was just looking at what the Jets had this year and what other trade ups cost in the past.
    I believe it is unthinkable to give two firsts except for a franchise QB. And I don't mean Sanchez. I am thinking of a Peyton Manning caliber.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,890
    We play teams, not Marshall, we need to get to the QB,period. Lay those mutha phukas out.

  20. #20
    We need a pass rusher and the more i think about it the more i like Jerry Hughes at 29 but i'm still hoping for a move to get Graham...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us