Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: We should heavily consider 2011.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

We should heavily consider 2011.

This is a team with very little needs at this point, and even if we were to draft just for those needs-will a rookie fill them?

I think we need to step back, and look at the big picture for 2011 and beyond. In the upcoming two years we have Monstrous contracts to hand out including: Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris and one of Edwards/Holmes. Cromartie?

That leaves us replacing these players: Leon Washington, 3rd WR, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Safety, Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas and Vernon Gholston unless he picks it up.

Add up those players above that need to be replaced(because of cut, or FA), and add that to our current needs at S, OLB, DE, CB2, and Nickel(depending if Cro pans out). We have ALOT of needs to fill.

This really may be the year to sign Jason Taylor although I hate him, and move down and start acquiring some depth. It is also the year to sign Brick, and Harris in the least to extensions with much of the money put in the uncapped year but it has not happened yet.

I dont see a big difference in the talent at 29 through 40. This is also a range many teams move up every year so I think we will find a buyer. Between trading back, and possibly trading Leon we could acquire some much needed picks.

Who would you guys target in the mid 30's?
    Is Odrick really that much better then Joseph, Carrington, or Wooten?
    Is Hughes(If hes even there?) that much better then Misi or Sapp?

In past years we have needed impact players right away, and trade up's made sense. This is the first year our football team is full of impact players waiting for big contracts....This is the year to trade down, and wait until the summer to pick up cheap vets like Darren Sharper, and Jason Taylor for 1 yr deals. thoughts?
    Last edited by KR; 04-14-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want an OLB in the first because I don't think Hughes is any more special for the position than Misi, Sapp, Worilds (a player I really like now), Hardy (that's right!), Cunningham, Witten, Young, and so on.

Start looking at the DL as a whole...Seymour, Castillo, Ratliff, and so on are 3-4 DE types who've handled the nose and Ngata obviously is a NT that handled DT. I'm looking for someone who can eat space no matter where we line him up, and I like my boy Cody in that regard.

If there's one guy who's a this year and beyond pick it's Terrence Cody...the guy drops 10 more pounds and gets into an NFL training program and he's good to go for the next decade.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-14-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There won't be football in 2011.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    On nfl network yesterday they were speculating on the wisdom of trading back for teams and getting 1st rounders next year because there might be a rookie cap and thus 1st rounders might be more affordable.

This is a double edged sword though because this year seems phenominally deep in some positions.

I like the idea of trading back and getting some possible replacements this year for guys next year. With who we have now I don't think it is a must for any of this years picks to be starters.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    This is a team with very little needs at this point, and even if we were to draft just for those needs-will a rookie fill them?

I think we need to step back, and look at the big picture for 2011 and beyond. In the upcoming two years we have Monstrous contracts to hand out including: Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris and one of Edwards/Holmes. Cromartie?

That leaves us replacing these players: Leon Washington, 3rd WR, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Safety, Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas and Vernon Gholston unless he picks it up.

Add up those players above that need to be replaced(because of cut, or FA), and add that to our current needs at S, OLB, DE, CB2, and Nickel(depending if Cro pans out). We have ALOT of needs to fill.

This really may be the year to sign Jason Taylor although I hate him, and move down and start acquiring some depth. It is also the year to sign Brick, and Harris in the least to extensions with much of the money put in the uncapped year but it has not happened yet.

I dont see a big difference in the talent at 29 through 40. This is also a range many teams move up every year so I think we will find a buyer. Between trading back, and possibly trading Leon we could acquire some much needed picks.

Who would you guys target in the mid 30's?
    Is Odrick really that much better then Joseph, Carrington, or Wooten?
    Is Hughes(If hes even there?) that much better then Misi or Sapp?

In past years we have needed impact players right away, and trade up's made sense. This is the first year our football team is full of impact players waiting for big contracts....This is the year to trade down, and wait until the summer to pick up cheap vets like Darren Sharper, and Jason Taylor for 1 yr deals. thoughts?
    I agree trading down is the way to go, but that of course might not be possible. A few of the guys I like for us, namely Sapp and Joseph, would be much better value in the early/mid 2nd as opposed to 29.