Thread: Mayock discusses the Jets 29th pick with reporters

Mayock discusses the Jets 29th pick with reporters

BY RICH CIMINI

NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock, speaking today on a conference call with reporters, believes the Jets will pick a rush linebacker or a defensive lineman with the 29th overall pick. The first possibility he mentioned was Penn State DE/DT Jared Odrick, whom he said should go anywhere between 22 and 29.

Odrick (6-5, 304), the Big Ten defensive player of the year, is attractive to the Jets because of his versatility. He can be a '5-technique,' a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme, and slide inside on passing downs when they go to a four-man line.

Mayock, one of the sharpest draft guys in the business, also mentioned Texas OLB Sergio Kindle (6-3, 250) as a candidate for the Jets. Kindle is a hybrid player, having played a lot of OLB and DE in college. He recorded only six sacks last season, but he became the first player in history to be nominated as a finalist for the Butkus Award (best LB) and Hendricks Award (best DL) in the same year. Kindle has some off-the-field questons, but, hey, the Jets aren't afraid to take chances, as we know.

I mentioned TCU pass rusher Jerry Hughes to Mayock, and he raved about him. Mayock believes Hughes is a late-1 value, adding, "I like him a lot ... He's explosive, he's tough and he's got a motor that doesn't stop. He's one of the players they'd have to consider."

The big question with Hughes, Mayock pointed out, is his size. He's a shade under 6-2, 255 pounds, lacking bulk and strength to anchor against the run. But this dude can get after the quarterback (11 1/2 sacks last season) and he'd be able to contribute immediately as a nickel rusher.

The Jets' pick could hinge on the outcome of the Jason Taylor saga. If they don't land him, they will need to address the pass-rushing situation early in the draft.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...#ixzz0l6XiQnpl

As good as these guys like Mayock and Kiper are in certain areas evaluating prospects, they are AWFUL on determining the needs of an NFL team.

I really hope we don't take Odrick, and I would like Hughes, but I really think they are not going to take a rush linebacker in the first.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The big question with Hughes, Mayock pointed out, is his size. He's a shade under 6-2, 255 pounds, lacking bulk and strength to anchor against the run.
    Someone else mentioned this in another thread today I think

All League
    Not knocking the post or article, but nothing that hasn't been debated or analyzed a billions times already. I think most stuff written up at this point is retreads of things most board posters/debaters already know. We're only ONE WEEK AWAY from NFL Xmas in April!

I think the only thing that materially impacts the draft at this point is moves which erase needs by teams. Jets getting Holmes and Fins getting Marshall indicate covering your butts. With Marshall now a fin, I GUARANTEE that Dan Williams will go to them at #12 putting to bed the debate whether they take Dez Bryant; just like the debate Jets getting D. Thomas of GT or Tate at #29.

There'll be a run on D-Line and the Jets will either jump to pounce on someone they LOVE, or see what falls in a VERY rich and deep draft.

All to be answered next week over a STUPIDLY reformatted 3 day period . . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    As good as these guys like Mayock and Kiper are in certain areas evaluating prospects, they are AWFUL on determining the needs of an NFL team.

I really hope we don't take Odrick, and I would like Hughes, but I really think they are not going to take a rush linebacker in the first.
    Mayock is pretty good at determining team needs.

Forget about Odrick and Hughes specifically: are you saying that Pass Rusher and DL are not the Jets' biggest need right now?

Before it was CB (got Cromartie now) and WR (got Holmes now). Where else is there a need besides DL (age) and Pass rusher (Pace is the only 1)???

i think the smaller the rush lb, the more important it is to have a coach who knows how to utilize him.

if mangini got a guy like jerry hughes, the guy would be forced to read/react and play in space and his career would flounder. if rex gets a guy like hughes he'll point him at whoever has the ball and say go get him. that will force the other team to stick a guy on him and that's what rex wants, b/c once you have guys who the other team devotes guys to blocking rex can create mismatches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Not knocking the post or article, but nothing that hasn't been debated or analyzed a billions times already. I think most stuff written up at this point is retreads of things most board posters/debaters already know. We're only ONE WEEK AWAY from NFL Xmas in April!

I think the only thing that materially impacts the draft at this point is moves which erase needs by teams. Jets getting Holmes and Fins getting Marshall indicate covering your butts. With Marshall now a fin, I GUARANTEE that Dan Williams will go to them at #12 putting to bed the debate whether they take Dez Bryant; just like the debate Jets getting D. Thomas of GT or Tate at #29.

There'll be a run on D-Line and the Jets will either jump to pounce on someone they LOVE, or see what falls in a VERY rich and deep draft.

All to be answered next week over a STUPIDLY reformatted 3 day period . . . .
    Agree Miami takes D. Williams and a run on DL will occur. Thus the recent talk of Linval Joseph sneaking into the 1st could be accurate.

That said I could see the Jets taking him at 29, if they like him.

Especially when you look at the early 2nd round teams and how many play the 3-4..

KC, Cleveland, SD (from Seattle), Buffalo, Denver, NE..All pick in the top 12 of the 2nd round.

So if the Jets like/want Linval Joseph they'll have to take him at 29....

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    With Marshall now a fin, I GUARANTEE that Dan Williams will go to them at #12
    im kinda getting the feeling the chiefs will reach for Dan Williams at 4. It's a classic pioli move.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im kinda getting the feeling the chiefs will reach for Dan Williams at 4. It's a classic pioli move.
    even with all that money tied up in dorsey and jackson? i think theres a better chance of them reaching for mcclain.

All Pro
    Pioli will go to the trenches for sure but it'll be O-line. I still can't believe that Tyson Jackson pick last year. It was awful, such a reach. And he doesn't get crucified for it because he's Scott Pioli.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    even with all that money tied up in dorsey and jackson? i think theres a better chance of them reaching for mcclain.
    dorsey was not his draft pick... and even then he's supposedly playing DE in their D.

The Chiefs nose tackle situation might be the bleakest of the 3-4 teams. (Buffalo is also in rough shape, as is San Diego).

no one thought Tyson Jackson would go 3... he needs to go back to that well

It's obvious our Front line and secondary are primary concerns for the Jets. If the Jets walk away with a DE, OLB, CB or FS in the first round who can start I'd be happy.

Banned
    I can see that happening too they need a NT bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Someone else mentioned this in another thread today I think
    Ya I also thought it was funny how he didnt have the bulk or strength against the run yet they say nothing about Kindle who is only one inch taller and 5 lbs less.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Mayock is pretty good at determining team needs.

Forget about Odrick and Hughes specifically: are you saying that Pass Rusher and DL are not the Jets' biggest need right now?

Before it was CB (got Cromartie now) and WR (got Holmes now). Where else is there a need besides DL (age) and Pass rusher (Pace is the only 1)???
    i agree.... i think they hit it dead on... not that its difficult... DL and pass rushers are out biggest need by far... i would still like to sign a veteran if we dont get taylor(somebody who gets cut)... we need a few bodies at DL and def need some youth... Jenks and ellis are not getting any younger and Devito as a starter is a major ?