Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets Targeting Odrick?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think the pick will be aluaha. odrick will be gone, and they'll take an anti-gholston guy who will be able to come in right away and give quality snaps. he's a borderline 1st rounder on many boards.

i also wouldn't be surprised if they traded up to get joseph in the 2nd round to come away with 2 DL prospects.
    That is Tannebaum's MO. However, on the surface he doesn't have the ammo this year to do that. A 4th, a low one at that, isn't going to allow much trade up opportunity.

Of course he could deal a high pick next year. But I'm not sure he can even do that except his 2011 1st since the 3rd round, which could become a 2nd, goes to SD for Cromartie.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    That is Tannebaum's MO. However, on the surface he doesn't have the ammo this year to do that. A 4th, a low one at that, isn't going to allow much trade up opportunity.

Of course he could deal a high pick next year. But I'm not sure he can even do that except his 2011 1st since the 3rd round, which could become a 2nd, goes to SD for Cromartie.
    my theory is that if there is nobody they absolutely love at 29, they look to trade out of the first round, perhaps to #4 in the 2nd with phily or #5 with cleveland (personally i think this is the most likely of all nyj tradedown scenarios b/c the vikings at 30 may target a qb), pick up either a 3rd or 4th round pick, then select a guy like aluaha with that first 2nd rounder or someone else who falls. then the jets would have extra ammo to trade up in round 2 to get that 2nd defensive guy they want. obviously it takes 2 to tango, but if tebow and mccoy are sitting there when the jets are picking there may be antsy teams who fear they'll miss out if they wait much longer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    my theory is that if there is nobody they absolutely love at 29, they look to trade out of the first round, perhaps to #4 in the 2nd with phily or #5 with cleveland (personally i think this is the most likely of all nyj tradedown scenarios b/c the vikings at 30 may target a qb), pick up either a 3rd or 4th round pick, then select a guy like aluaha with that first 2nd rounder or someone else who falls. then the jets would have extra ammo to trade up in round 2 to get that 2nd defensive guy they want. obviously it takes 2 to tango, but if tebow and mccoy are sitting there when the jets are picking there may be antsy teams who fear they'll miss out if they wait much longer.
    completely agree with that. I thought you meant picking at #29 and then trying to trade up from #61.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    completely agree with that. I thought you meant picking at #29 and then trying to trade up from #61.
    with tanny, you never know. he may try to do that as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really don't see why everyone is so down on Odrick.

He's universally considered a 1st round pick in one of the deepest drafts in decades and fits our defense perfectly. This isn't the classic two-gapping 3-4 employed by the likes of Parcells and Belichick. Rex asks his DE's to help push the pocket, not just simply tie up blockers every play.

There are some things Odrick needs to work on but he uses his hands very well to disengage and he has great footwork. Good size (6'5 305) and a pretty good athlete as well.

I've been saying from the get-go that we would target a DL high in the draft. Be it Odrick, Joseph, Alualu, Cody...I'll take any of them.
    But are you willing to trade up to get him, that is the question.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    i'm saying no. clearly they lack the ammo, and in this deep draft, beauty is in the eye of the drafter. truth, is there really that much difference b/t odrick and alualu? why would there be a need to trade up for odrick, when the jets could get as blasted by network pundits for staying at 29 and taking alualu?

if the jets are even considering trading up in the first round this year, it's for a premiere pass rusher. tanny understands which positions are worthy of the big bucks, and after the rhodes mistake there's no way he would deal up even for a berry, if for some weird reason he slipped into the teens.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Eric Smith is on a 1 year RFA deal.
    Brodney Pool got a 1 year deal.
    James Ihedibo is also on a 1 year deal.

Jim Leonard is under contract for 2 more years, 2010 and 2011.

So to review they only have 1 safety under contract for more than 2010.

long story short they NYJ have a huge amount of uncertainty at safety right now. way more than they do at OLB, DE or other popular picks. If taylor mays drops to 29 he's a huge factor.

Let's rattle off some names at OLB.
    Pace - likes those PEDs and old (turning 30) good though
    Thomas - Does anyone like him? Turning 31 BTW
    Gholston - comment?
    Westerman - the hometown Rutgers boy who has done what?

Now DE -
    Ellis - on social security yet? Plus a weed man
    Devito - nice fill in and back up across the line
    Piti- has done what ever?
    Wayne - total JAG

Seems like a problem to me versus safety where Leonhard is a good player, Eric Smith is liked and has started, same Pool, Ihedigbo has performed well.
    Games are won up front on Off and Def. Again for record, the Jets have the best pass defense in the NFL and it will be better in 2010 than 2009.
    Get a safety next year in the second round. LG in the first.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    with tanny, you never know. he may try to do that as well.
    True. I'll never say never with Trader Tanny.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm saying no. clearly they lack the ammo, and in this deep draft, beauty is in the eye of the drafter. truth, is there really that much difference b/t odrick and alualu? why would there be a need to trade up for odrick, when the jets could get as blasted by network pundits for staying at 29 and taking alualu?

if the jets are even considering trading up in the first round this year, it's for a premiere pass rusher. tanny understands which positions are worthy of the big bucks, and after the rhodes mistake there's no way he would deal up even for a berry, if for some weird reason he slipped into the teens.
    I don't think you can say that with Tanny. If he really wants a certain guy he is going to try and go get him no matter what else is out there. I don't think he's the one to say "Well I could always sit where I am and take someone similar."

Either way...its a week till the draft, these kind of rumors are gonna be flying around everyday with different scenarios. Hard to take any of them serious until the Jets are on the clock.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Let's rattle off some names at OLB.
    Pace - likes those PEDs and old (turning 30) good though
    Thomas - Does anyone like him? Turning 31 BTW
    Gholston - comment?
    Westerman - the hometown Rutgers boy who has done what?

Now DE -
    Ellis - on social security yet? Plus a weed man
    Devito - nice fill in and back up across the line
    Piti- has done what ever?
    Wayne - total JAG
    these are your opinions. I was talking purely contracts. Money talks.

In terms of pure contracts, the only player on that list who is on the last year of their deal is Ellis. they've re-upped Pouha and Devito recently.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    +1

Let people think they want Odrick, but they really want Linval Jospeh
    These guys have kept their cards very close to their vest the past several years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    I don't think you can say that with Tanny. If he really wants a certain guy he is going to try and go get him no matter what else is out there. I don't think he's the one to say "Well I could always sit where I am and take someone similar."

Either way...its a week till the draft, these kind of rumors are gonna be flying around everyday with different scenarios. Hard to take any of them serious until the Jets are on the clock.
    i think this is a year in which he may be forced to do this. he's eliminated the wr need, the rb need and the immediate cb need, leaving DL/OLB as the glaring upgrades to be addressed, but also has no 3rd or 5th round pick this year and no 2nd or 3rd next year. i'm guessing he either stays at 29 or trades out of the first round.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I might be willing to trade up maybe 5 spots or so, but I wouldn't be in favor of trading up into the Top 20.

I personally think that Odrick is the best 5-tech in this draft. Unless you want to throw in a name like Suh, who has no chance of falling out of the Top 5.

Odrick may not be a Seymour-esque player, but he'll be damn good. A very safe prospect and could add to the DL rotation immediately.

The one thing Odrick really needs to work on is leverage. He gets too high at times and can be controlled at the line. But he's perfect for Ryan's defense. Again, let's not forget that this isn't your traditional 2-gapping 3-4. Rex doesn't just ask his ends to hold their gaps, he likes his DE's to get some penetration and Odrick is excellent at that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    last year around this time the Jets were supposedly gonna pick around 20 and they were "targeting" tyson jackson.

Yes they like this player, no he's not gonna be there.

Jared Odrick might very well be a top 10 pick when this is all said and done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    last year around this time the Jets were supposedly gonna pick around 20 and they were "targeting" tyson jackson.

Yes they like this player, no he's not gonna be there.

Jared Odrick might very well be a top 10 pick when this is all said and done.
    i could see that. but i think there are enough other DL options at 29 and odrick is not head and shoulders better than those guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had to laugh at this line:

Sources have said the Jets are more likely to move up in round one rather than the opposite direction as the organization feels they are only a player or two from being a Super Bowl team.
    Odrick is not going to make the Jets a Super Bowl team.

Either they are now with Holmes, LT, Cromartie, etc. with the talent the Jets already have or they're not. Odrick is not going to put them over top. If anything, Odrick will be carried along for the ride.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's also not discount that Tannebaum is just calling around to see what teams are willing to trade up and down and their costs...

All part of the draft prep work so come draft day he knows what teams to call if he wants to move up or down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's also not discount that Tannebaum is just calling around to see what teams are willing to trade up and down and their costs...

All part of the draft prep work so come draft day he knows what teams to call if he wants to move up or down.
    and teams definitely know that tanny isn't just messing with them. teams with a legit interest in trading up or down will probably let the jets in on the conversation.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    +1

Let people think they want Odrick, but they really want Linval Jospeh
    Maybe... maybe they do want Joseph... but to take him with ANYTHING higher than a middle second is completely rediculous. Joseph is a 2nd/3rd rounder, simple as that! Will he be there @61?... maybe, maybe not... my guess is, probably. Is he really the must have 1st round player, you make him out to be?... absolutely not!

There will a dozen higher rated BPA's on the board @29... hell there will be a hand full of better players at his position @29(especially if you are penciling him in at DE)... Why would, and How could the entire Jets FO, just ignore all that?

This is last year all over again... all we heard was Gilbert, Gilbert, Gilbert from you constantly... you brainwashed a couple of people here... but the fact is... Gilbert went, right where he was supposed to... in the early 3rd.

I understand the idea of having a "pet player" that no one knew about, and cultivating him so you could say "I told you so", but come on already dude... in my book, all you are doing now is losing more and more credibility by argueing tooth and nail over these guys year after year.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 04-15-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
    Maybe... maybe they do want Joseph... but to take him with ANYTHING higher than a middle second is completely rediculous. Joseph is a 2nd/3rd rounder, simple as that! Will he be there @61?... maybe, maybe not... my guess is, probably. Is he really the must have 1st round player, you make him out to be?... absolutely not!

There will a dozen higher rated BPA's on the board @29... hell there will be a hand full of better players at his position @29(especially if you are penciling him in at DE)... Why would, and How could the entire Jets FO, just ignore all that?

This is last year all over again... all we heard was Gilbert, Gilbert, Gilbert from you constantly... you brainwashed a couple of people here... but the fact is... Gilbert went, right where he was supposed to... in the early 3rd.

I understand the idea of having a "pet player" that no one knew about, and cultivating him so you could say "I told you so", but come on already dude... in my book, all you are doing now is losing more and more credibility by argueing tooth and nail over these guys year after year.
    In Ham's defense several "experts" Mayock, PFW, Brandt, Kirwan all have said the past week that Joseph is climbing and "could" go in the 1st.