Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets Targeting Odrick?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Jets Targeting Odrick?

Staying with the New York Jets, sources have told us right now it looks as though the team will target a defensive tackle in round one. They like Jared Odrick of Penn State, who would fit their scheme as a two gap end. If the team wants Odrick they will likely have to move up to acquire him as sources have told us Odrick could be this year’s version of Tyson Jackson; a defensive lineman selected much earlier than his talents warrant because of the position he plays.

Sources have said the Jets are more likely to move up in round one rather than the opposite direction as the organization feels they are only a player or two from being a Super Bowl team. They are moving towards the draft looking for a few quality players rather than sitting on a quantity of draft picks.

Could the team be interested in Tyson Aluala if they stand pat at pick 29? Sources have told us they have not overtly shown interest as far as visits or individual workouts but they have made calls about the Cal defensive lineman.
    from tfydraftinsider 4.14.10

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=1835

If they really like Odrick, a possible trade up as mentioned here would fit Tannenbaum's MO. The Pats are picking at 22 so I think we'd have to move ahead of them to 21 (Cincy) or higher.

Is Odrick really that good? I don't know I've heard conflciting reports on him and am skeptical that he is worth a trade up to get. I don't want us trading up just because that is what we always do. Only do it if a realy special player is there. There will be good players of a variety of positions at 29.

Jets Insider VIP
    I really don't see why everyone is so down on Odrick.

He's universally considered a 1st round pick in one of the deepest drafts in decades and fits our defense perfectly. This isn't the classic two-gapping 3-4 employed by the likes of Parcells and Belichick. Rex asks his DE's to help push the pocket, not just simply tie up blockers every play.

There are some things Odrick needs to work on but he uses his hands very well to disengage and he has great footwork. Good size (6'5 305) and a pretty good athlete as well.

I've been saying from the get-go that we would target a DL high in the draft. Be it Odrick, Joseph, Alualu, Cody...I'll take any of them.

I don't like the idea of trading up for Odrick...If we trade up it should be for a pass rusher or safety.

This sounds like a smokescreen to me, the JEts will not disclose to anyone who they really want.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    +1

Let people think they want Odrick, but they really want Linval Jospeh
    lol there is NO CHANCE that we take this guy with our #1 pick.

All Pro
    I hope we let the draft come to us instead of moving up. I do not want to move our #2 to move up some slots in the 1st round

All Pro
    The great Green Smoke screeen

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro22 View Post
    The great Green Smoke screeen

"The Jets are seriously considering moving up for Mark Sanchez."

Half of JI's response: "Smokescreen!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    I hope we let the draft come to us instead of moving up. I do not want to move our #2 to move up some slots in the 1st round
    This is how I feel unless Brandon Graham gets to the 20th pick.. Then I'm interested. If he gets past the Pats, I'm all for a tradeup.

If Odrick is there at 29, that's fine. Moving up for him is not fine.
    Everyone is not going to be gone. Kindle, Hughes, Joseph. Someone is still going to be available to fit a Jet NEED.
    And someone will be be available at 61 to fit a need at DE or OLB as well.

Safety is not one of those needs BTW. At least not in round 1 or 2.

Of the players that realisticly could be available at 29, I'm a big Odrick fan. Berry and Thomas should be gone and I don't think Mays fits our system. I would consider McCourty at 29 but not Robinson or Jackson. Kindle and Graham will be gone, Hughes seems like a 2nd round guy to me..

If I am ranking my realisitic wish list it goes like this:
    1 - Odrick
    2 - Cody
    3 - McCourty
    4 - Alualu
    5 - Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

He's universally considered a 1st round pick in one of the deepest drafts in decades and fits our defense perfectly. This isn't the classic two-gapping 3-4 employed by the likes of Parcells and Belichick. Rex asks his DE's to help push the pocket, not just simply tie up blockers every play.

There are some things Odrick needs to work on but he uses his hands very well to disengage and he has great footwork. Good size (6'5 305) and a pretty good athlete as well.

I've been saying from the get-go that we would target a DL high in the draft. Be it Odrick, Joseph, Alualu, Cody...I'll take any of them.
    Because people have WATCHED HIM. Just give a look to that Iowa game and you will absolutely laugh at the number of times he gets tossed aside in the running game.

I really hope we don't like him.

Also, if the team wanted a prototype 2 gapping end, they would have KEPT Kenyon Coleman and certainly not signed Marques Douglas. This defense does not look for guys like Odrick very much and that is the reason we will not pick him.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Safety is not one of those needs BTW. At least not in round 1 or 2.
    Eric Smith is on a 1 year RFA deal.
    Brodney Pool got a 1 year deal.
    James Ihedibo is also on a 1 year deal.

Jim Leonard is under contract for 2 more years, 2010 and 2011.

So to review they only have 1 safety under contract for more than 2010.

long story short they NYJ have a huge amount of uncertainty at safety right now. way more than they do at OLB, DE or other popular picks. If taylor mays drops to 29 he's a huge factor.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    from tfydraftinsider 4.14.10

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=1835

Sources have said the Jets are more likely to move up in round one rather than the opposite direction as the organization feels they are only a player or two from being a Super Bowl team. They are moving towards the draft looking for a few quality players rather than sitting on a quantity of draft picks.
    Hmmmm......Where have I heard this before....ahh yes:

2 1 33 David Baas 49ers C Michigan
    2 34 Brodney Pool Browns DB Oklahoma
    3 35 Reggie Brown Eagles WR Georgia
    4 36 Barrett Ruud Buccaneers LB Nebraska
    5 37 Shaun Cody Lions DT USC
    6 38 Stanford Routt Raiders DB Houston
    7 39 Mark Bradley Bears WR Oklahoma
    8 40 Josh Bullocks Saints DB Nebraska
    9 41 Michael Roos Titans T Eastern Washington
    10 42 Kevin Burnett Cowboys LB Tennessee
    11 43 Corey Webster Giants DB Louisiana State
    12 44 J.J. Arrington Cardinals RB California
    13 45 Lofa Tatupu Seahawks LB USC
    14 46 Matt Roth Dolphins DE Iowa
    15 47 Mike Nugent Jets K Ohio State
    16 48 Odell Thurman Bengals LB Georgia
    17 49 Marcus Johnson Vikings T Mississippi
    18 50 Ronald Bartell Rams DB Howard

I think the "sleeper" pick is Maurkrice Pouncey.Might have to trade up to mid 20's to get him(Philly maybe?).Nobody has mentioned an o-lineman in any mocks to us,and would be be a starter no worse than next year.We have zero depth on our line,and this would solve that as well as push Moore and Faneca.Everyone was shocked when Pats took Logan Mankins a few years back;how'd that work out?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Because people have WATCHED HIM. Just give a look to that Iowa game and you will absolutely laugh at the number of times he gets tossed aside in the running game.

I really hope we don't like him.

Also, if the team wanted a prototype 2 gapping end, they would have KEPT Kenyon Coleman and certainly not signed Marques Douglas. This defense does not look for guys like Odrick very much and that is the reason we will not pick him.
    Having worked with Rex Ryan, I know he wants the best player available... It's up to the coaches to fit him into the lineup

http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

Ex-Raven and Browns scout said that

I'm not saying Odrick is the pick or a player.....I remember this guy said not to believe a word you hear from NFL teams the 2 weeks prior to the draft..

i think the pick will be aluaha. odrick will be gone, and they'll take an anti-gholston guy who will be able to come in right away and give quality snaps. he's a borderline 1st rounder on many boards.

i also wouldn't be surprised if they traded up to get joseph in the 2nd round to come away with 2 DL prospects.

if we trade up ahead of the Pats (22), it won't be for Odrick!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I'm all for taking Odrick at 29, as I am Alualu and even Cody and Joseph (I personally wouldn't - but if that's how the team has them rated, so be it.) BUt, I can't justify giving up valuable picks for a guy that has question marks. Sure, everyone has questionmarks once you leave the top 10, but Odrick is not a sure fire stud that warrants giving up a 2nd rounder to move up to the low 20s.

Odrick looked very very good most of the time this year, but the memory that sticks out for me from this past year is constantly thinking that Haywood looked that much better than Odrick on the same field. Now, that's not necessarily an indictment of Odrick as Haywood is a fantastic player, but to me, Odrick comes off as a very nice player, who I wouldn't mind having, but not someone I "need" to have. I'd rather trade up for a guy that I "need" to have.

JMO.