Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Who do you take?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • DE Jared Odrick - Penn State

    25 52.08%
  • DE Linval Joseph - East Carolina

    14 29.17%
  • DE Tyson Alualu - California

    9 18.75%
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: DE: The Big 3

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,583
    Post Thanks / Like

    DE: The Big 3

    Jared Odrick
    Linval Joseph
    Tyson Alualu

    If we had the choice of these three at #29, who do you take?

    Also, who do you favor the most? Who are you not so high on?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like


    Of the 3, give me Joseph barely over Odrick.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for Joseph because of his size and decent quicks for a big man. He could play inside or out on the line...

    Next would be Alualu, the guy is a human motor and a fiery, high-passion type guy who would play anywhere you asked him and give 100% on every snap. He is the anti-Gholston. He would crawl through barbed wire to make a tackle, and he hits like a truck. If his "measureables" were a bit better, hed be the guy.

    Odrick I just don't trust. Honestly, I trust NOBODY coming out of Penn State. They just never seem to measure up. I've watched some tape of Odrick and he seems a bit like VG, he seems to get lost out there sometimes, gets blocked a bit too easily 1 on 1, and just doesn't have "it". I'd take DeVito over Odrick on our line.

    If they were both on the board, I think I'd take Everson Griffen over Odrick. Everson Griffen. That just SOUNDS like a Jets name, like a guy who played in Super Bowl 3 or was an old school Jet to me....Emerson Boozer, Verlon Biggs, Randy Beverly....Everson Griffen. It just GOES, ya know?
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 04-15-2010 at 12:43 PM.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think the jets probably would take alaulu. he's a classic rex ryan guy and perfect for that locker room. he can play anywhere on the DL and would bring more energy and toughness to the D. he's a guy you want on the field when the dolphins have a 3rd and 1.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Posts
    7,824
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... if those are the DE options @ 29... I pass and take Carrington in the 2nd, or Geathers in the 4th....
    Last edited by Starkweather; 04-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    I voted for Joseph because of his size and decent quicks for a big man. He could play inside or out on the line...

    Next would be Alualu, the guy is a human motor and a fiery, high-passion type guy who would play anywhere you asked him and give 100% on every snap. He is the anti-Gholston. He would crawl through barbed wire to make a tackle, and he hits like a truck. If his "measureables" were a bit better, hed be the guy.

    Odrick I just don't trust. Honestly, I trust NOBODY coming out of Penn State. They just never seem to measure up. I've watched some tape of Odrick and he seems a bit like VG, he seems to get lost out there sometimes, gets blocked a bit too easily 1 on 1, and just doesn't have "it". I'd take DeVito over Odrick on our line.

    If they were both on the board, I think I'd take Everson Griffen over Odrick. Everson Griffen. That just SOUNDS like a Jets name, like a guy who played in Super Bowl 3 or was an old school Jet to me....Emerson Boozer, Verlon Biggs, Randy Beverly....Everson Griffen. It just GOES, ya know?
    if griffen were available at #29 it would be a no brainer for the jets to take him.but alas.he will not be there at #29.but the jets could move up to get him.

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,583
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think the jets probably would take alaulu. he's a classic rex ryan guy and perfect for that locker room. he can play anywhere on the DL and would bring more energy and toughness to the D. he's a guy you want on the field when the dolphins have a 3rd and 1.
    I can see that.

    Alualu is the quickest and most explosive of the three and what he lacks in size he makes up with in tremendous hustle. He's awesome in pursuit and has a motor that never quits. Basically Mike DeVito on steroids.

    Cal even experimented with lining him up at OLB on occasion.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    im not a big odrick fan but hes the best option of these 3 players.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
    ... if those are the DE options @ 29... I pass and take Carrington in the 2nd, or Geathers in the 4th....
    *Hugs*

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im not a big odrick fan but hes the best option of these 3 players.
    I agree with you.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info.......

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Me either, bit, only I refuse to draft a player I don't like much less love.

    I Just can't draft a player because its the logical choice if I myslef don't like/love him as a prospect.

    I think we made that mistake with Gholston and its been a disaster. I don't think any of us loved him, we just talked ourselves into taking him because he was the preceived BAP if the first five fell as we suspected it would.

    It did (fall as we expected) and I believe Tanny fell into the same trap.

    I think there's a lesson to be learned from that recent experience .. if you don't love a particular prospect, or even like him very much, you probably shouldn't take him in RD 1 even if he is "the pick you're supposed to make"

    I'm not saying you should reach wildly or completely ignore the consensus rankings.

    I'm just saying you should use those rankings as a guide, but take a player you love or at least really like a lot.

    Therefore my order of preference for the three players listed reads as follows ...

    1. Linval Joseph
    2. Tyson Alualu
    3. Jared Odrick


    AMEN, Brother Green! We saw the Jets "Make the Pick they were supposed to make", the UNCONTESTED, CONSENSUS "6th best player in the draft".....Vernon Gholston.

    Imagine if they trusted their scouts and went against conventional wisdom....think of the players they could have "reached" for rather than getting the "boom or BUST" Ghost....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us