Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: the 'bob smith' test

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

the 'bob smith' test

pretty good read in today's NYT

April 15, 2010, 6:00 AM
    For Name Players in the N.F.L., Try the Bob Smith Test
    By ANDY BENOIT
    Next time you’re evaluating an N.F.L. player, be sure to run a Bob Smith Test. To do this, simply ask yourself, If this player’s name was Bob Smith, would I still notice him? How would my opinion of him differ? The answer could surprise you.

I first discovered the Bob Smith Test when watching film of the Miami Dolphins. I was paying close attention to linebacker Channing Crowder. After a few games, it dawned on me that a big reason I was focusing on No. 52 was because of his catchy name and reputation. But Crowder did nothing to warrant special attention, and I wrote in my notes, “If Crowder’s name was Bob Smith, fans wouldn’t know he exists.”

Brady Quinn. Nice name. But what about his game? (Mark Duncan/Associated Press).
    This got me thinking about players’ names and images. Take Brady Quinn. Because he played at Notre Dame, and because he’s a Brady Quinn, it helped stoke the perception that he could be something like a Tom Brady.

Harrington Quinn would be more of a match for reality.

Quentin Jammer is another example. He can’t pass the Bob Smith test. Jammer is a good cornerback, but he doesn’t play a flashy brand of football. Casual fans have no reason to remember him. Still, they do, because his name is Jammer. Jammer isn’t nearly as physical as he sounds, either. True, he uses his hands well in press coverage (he’s a good jammer), but many believe him to be a potent tackler. He’s not. Insiders describe him as soft.

Other players who probably wouldn’t pass – or at least not ace – the Bob Smith Test include Santana Moss (he’s essentially a Steve Smith ersatz whose first name is that of a rock star with the last name of an N.F.L. superstar); Takeo Spikes (he’s had a noble career, but he got on the map as a Bengal back when Bengal players didn’t get on maps); and Julius Peppers (his first name is smooth, his last name is pungent; without this, would we put up with his inconsistency?)

Many players pass the Bob Smith Test. Bob Sanders – whose real first name is Demond, by the way – won the Defensive Player of the Year award in 2007 despite being named Bob Sanders. Steve Smith in Carolina is virtually a household name. In fact, combine his Q rating with that of Steve Smith in New York and you definitely have a household name. All it took for Titans running back Chris Johnson to overcome his name was a 2,000-yard season. Johnson should buy the first name of his teammate, LenDale White (both would make good money from that). Think about it: Who would forget a dreadlocked speedster with a name as rhythmic as LenDale Johnson?

A few quality players don’t quite pass the Bob Smith Test. Saints defensive end Will Smith is one. If he had a snazzier name – or at least one not already taken by a movie star – he’d probably be more popular nationally. But only fans in New Orleans seem to truly appreciate Smith’s quickness and tenacity.

There’s an even more obvious example of a failed Bob Smith Test. In the 1999 Super Bowl, Rams linebacker Mike Jones made an unforgettable tackle against Kevin Dyson on the 1-yard line to preserve victory. But his name was still Mike Jones, which, in Latin, I believe, means Forget Me. So Jones is forever remembered as “That Guy For The Rams Who Made The Tackle On The 1-Yard Line.” (Although sometimes he’s remembered as “London Fletcher….Right? Was It London Fletcher?”)

Some players refuse to take the Bob Smith Test. Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson went so far as to change his name to Chad Ochocinco. Billy Johnson added “White Shoes” in the middle of his name. Joe Greene is a fairly plain name….until you stick “Mean” in front of it.

But I digress. The bottom line: When pondering a player or convincing yourself that your team’s big-money investment is wise (Raider and Redskin fans know what I’m talking about), ask yourself, If this guy’s name was Bob Smith, would I even notice him?

Andy Benoit is the founder of NFLTouchdown.com

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ob-smith-test/
    end of the day it is entertainment and a certain part of it is Marketing.

Brady Quinn was definately helped by how good tom Brady was that year

not to say they are bad players (many are quite good)

but guys I think are helped by the bob smith factor:

Ndamukong Suh
    Rolando McClain
    Golden Tate
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Dez Bryant
    Sergio Kindle
    Colt McCoy
    Jahvid Best
    Arrelious Benn
    Demaryius Thomas
    Koa Misi
    Zoltan Mesko

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Zoltan Mesko is the biggest beneficiary of this. I've only seen him punt a few times, but I still desperately want him on my team just because his name is Zoltan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    pretty good read in today's NYT

end of the day it is entertainment and a certain part of it is Marketing.

Brady Quinn was definately helped by how good tom Brady was that year

not to say they are bad players (many are quite good)

but guys I think are helped by the bob smith factor:

Ndamukong Suh
    Rolando McClain
    Golden Tate
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Dez Bryant
    Sergio Kindle
    Colt McCoy
    Jahvid Best
    Arrelious Benn
    Demaryius Thomas
    Koa Misi
    Zoltan Mesko
    Really nice find and post. This can be applied for many people in every field too.

Guys who are hurt by the Bob Smith test:

Ed Dickson
    Anthony McCoy
    Matt Tennant
    Derrick Morgan
    Hall Davis
    Jarrett Brown?
    Tim Hiller
    Dan Williams (wasn't hurt, but boring name)
    Mike Neal
    Jeff Owens
    Ben Tate
    James Starks
    Mike Johnson
    Jason Fox
    Sean Lee
    Brandon Ghee
    Myron Lewis
    Walter McFadden
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-15-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taylor Mays first caught my attention because I love the name for some reason.

Vince Carter is my favorite athlete name.

I also hate players with vowels at the end of their name. Not because I dislike Italians or Spanish/Hispanics but it always sounded feminine to me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taylor Mays first caught my attention because I love the name for some reason.

Vince Carter is my favorite athlete name.

I also hate players with vowels at the end of their name. Not because I dislike Italians or Spanish/Hispanics but it always sounded feminine to me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    I believe Zoltan Mesko is the biggest beneficiary of this. I've only seen him punt a few times, but I still desperately want him on my team just because his name is Zoltan.
    LOL

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Really nice find and post. This can be applied for many people in every field too.

Guys who are hurt by the Bob Smith test:

Ed Dickson
    Anthony McCoy
    Matt Tennant
    Derrick Morgan
    Hall Davis
    Jarrett Brown?
    Tim Hiller
    Dan Williams (wasn't hurt, but boring name)
    Mike Neal
    Jeff Owens
    Ben Tate
    James Starks
    Mike Johnson
    Jason Fox
    Sean Lee
    Brandon Ghee
    Myron Lewis
    Walter McFadden

Jerry Hughes can be added as well. If he plays anything like David Harris, sign me up.