Thread: Mike Mayock is a wanted man

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Mayock is a wanted man

Mike Mayock is a wanted man

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 15, 2010 10:54 AM ET

I'm not shy in my praise of Mike Mayock as the best draft analyst out there, and it sounds like NFL teams agree with the assessment.

Mayock told Joe Rose on WQAM Thursday (Via Omar Kelly) that he's had "three or four offers to join NFL front offices" but that "it wasn't the right time."

One of those offers may have come from the Raiders. Mayock was tied to Oakland as a possible successor to Mike Lombardi three years ago, although the team denied the report.

Mayock went on to say he'd be open to the possibility of joining a team "if the right opportunity came along."

Selfishly, we hope he sticks with television.

There are plenty of front office jobs, but only so many prominent TV gigs. It would be hard for him to leave. Working in television isn't as grueling, it probably will pay better long-term, and it has far more security.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-wanted-man/

No surprise. Mayock is the best!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he has several offers he would be crazy to work for the Raiders. Can you think of anything more frustrating than having old weird Al tell you to pick the work out warrior over the guy you really want. Or have old weird Al tell you, you cannot trade up to get some prospect you really covet?

As an aside: Not sure if you guys watch 'path to the draft' each day on nfl network but I swear Mayock was ready to kill some smarmy goof they had on there the other day. It was the usual of Mayock, Charles Davis (who i also like) and bucky brooks. They usually also have Casserly but they had some internet draft guy and he was being a real a-hole mocking the other guys opinions and such. Mayock was turning red.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 04-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If he has several offers he would be crazy to work for the Raiders. Can you think of anything more frustrating than having old weird Al tell you to pick the work out warrior over the guy you really want. Or have old weird Al tell you, you cannot trade up to get some prospect you really covet?

As an aside: Not sure if you guys watch 'path to the draft' each day on nfl network but I swear Mayock was ready to kill some smarmy goof they had on there the other day. It was the usual of Mayock, Charles Davis (who i also like) and bucky brooks. They usually also have Casserly but they had some internet draft guy and he was being a real a-hole mocking the other guys opinions and such. Mayock was turning red.
    +1

Davis is also very good!

You can't remember the internet guy's name? Just curious

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is the perfect gig for him... NFL films is near Philly, his family is in PA, his son plays football at nova, he can take a quick ride up to NY for when he needs to be in the studio... easy... being a GM in Oakland would be a pain... and probably a thankless job.

I'd expect when his son graduates he might get antsy...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    +1

Davis is also very good!

No I can't remember his name. He was on earlier in the week. A real loud mouth snook. The other guys disagree on players but are at least respectful to each other. This clown would interrupt one of the other guys pieces to interject his wisdom with 'Come on mike, how can you say that! the guy had no production unlike...such and such a person.' Mayock was pissed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A bit off topic but interesting non the less. The other day Lombardi was saying that teams do indeed pay attention to some draft site or fan site mocks or big board lists over the period leading up to the draft. It doesn't directly influence them of course but he did say that they will at least investigate if they see a guy rising up or falling as a concensus on draft lists.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    +1

Davis is also very good!

Matt Hayes from the sporting news

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A bit off topic but interesting non the less. The other day Lombardi was saying that teams do indeed pay attention to some draft site or fan site mocks or big board lists over the period leading up to the draft. It doesn't directly influence them of course but he did say that they will at least investigate if they see a guy rising up or falling as a concensus on draft lists.
    He probably means the Lions under Matt Millen and Al's Raiders...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    Don't recognize his name/work. Thanks!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    That's him. He might not be like that all the time but he sure as heck rubbed me the wrong way during that segment. (Guess he is not just an internet guy, my bad on that.)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Mayock is great. I think hes tha best guy out there at what he does (from a TV/journalism standpoint), is likeable, and doesn't get into the BS and phony crap (McShay and Kiper - HUGE phonies imo). I hope he stays where he is.

That being said, I can't believe Mike Lombardi has a job he is so incredibly stupid. The man is a total ass. I can understand his employment with the disaster the Al Davis Raiders have become, but the guy is a fool.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, wasn't it that fat guy from sporting news? Who disagreed with him over Clausen.. fcking internet pundits. Mayock owns you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayock was turning red.
    Didn't it happen on Monday or Tuesday? If it was, I thought Mayock was going to reach thu the screen and punch Matt Hayes . .You could feel the fustration..

I agree Mayock is the best.. Not only because he seems very confident and explains his choices but I remember Scott Pioli earlier this year on NFLN on sirus say something like "if you want to know the truth from a real scouts perspective, Mayock is your guys.. he not only watches tape but understands what to look for"..

Saying that, I think Kiper has gotten a lot better for one major reason, his contacts. He projects players more on what he is hearing than his personal judgement. Still I take him with a grain of salt but he definitely has some insight on what a team might want.
    Last edited by mcsully; 04-15-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Mike Mayock is great. I think hes tha best guy out there at what he does (from a TV/journalism standpoint), is likeable, and doesn't get into the BS and phony crap (McShay and Kiper - HUGE phonies imo). I hope he stays where he is.

That being said, I can't believe Mike Lombardi has a job he is so incredibly stupid. The man is a total ass. I can understand his employment with the disaster the Al Davis Raiders have become, but the guy is a fool.
    Lombardi can hang his hat on one thing. He called Gholston a flat out bust from a month before his draft and never waivered.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    One other guy who I have gained a lot of respect for is Charlie Casserly. I neer thought much of him as a GM and thought he was foolish to not get Reggie Bush but this line of thinking was as much of my own ignorance.

He doesn't always agree with other evaluators and is pretty honest about where he sees players go as far as which round. I really do like nfl networks coverage though as I've learned a hell of alot about that aspect of the game the last few years.