Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could we possibly launch ourselves into the Top 5/6 for Eric Berry?

Could we possibly launch ourselves into the Top 5/6 for Eric Berry?

Last year to move up it cost us our 1st, 2nd, and 3 reserve players, so is there any chance Tanny makes another big move and deals the 29th and 61st overall picks, plus some reserves, or maybe even Leon Washington, to move up and land Berry?

What say the draft "experts" here on JI?

I'd love to see it happen, but I'd like it to happen without losing Leon.

We would have to give up our 1st, our 2nd and next years 1st plus something else in my opinion to move up from 29 into Berry range. We might get lucky and he falls but the Jets wee flat out lucky to get Sanchez last year in that they were dealing with a retarded GM.

Not impossible but just not likely.

No.

There's a large difference between trading up from mid first round to pick 6, and trading up from 29 to the same range.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    No.

There's a large difference between trading up from mid first round to pick 6, and trading up from 29 to the same range.
    Also if you are doing it to pick a franchise QB as opposed to a DB.

Jets Insider VIP
    No.

There is no way possible we can justify moving up to the top 10 for a safety.

All Pro
    Jax moved from 26th to 8th for their first, 2 thirds, and a fourth.

I think it'd be like 2 ones and a later pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Jax moved from 26th to 8th for their first, 2 thirds, and a fourth.

I think it'd be like 2 ones and a later pick.
    And there's no way Tannenbaum would give up a future No. 1 for a safety.

He didn't want to give up the 2010 1st rounder for Sanchez and he didn't have to.

All League
    no. this team can't afford anymore big contracts with as many in house re signings they have to make already.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    No.

There is no way possible we can justify moving up to the top 10 for a safety.
    I agree. moving up that many spots and the costs associated with it are immensly difficult to justify... and for a safety?

No.

If this is a weak draft, this would be an interesting idea.. In this draft, it would be absoultely crazy to considered trading up over 20 picks for a Safety, no matter how good he is. Besides, this draft is pretty deep for safeties and we could probably pick one up later in the draft.

I could see a scenario where Earl Thomas is available in the early 20s. I could also see him going top 10. However, based on the way it plays out, I could see a move up to where the Eagles are to select Thomas. Shouldn't cost that much either.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanInSec230 View Post
    Last year to move up it cost us our 1st, 2nd, and 3 reserve players, so is there any chance Tanny makes another big move and deals the 29th and 61st overall picks, plus some reserves, or maybe even Leon Washington, to move up and land Berry?

What say the draft "experts" here on JI?

I'd love to see it happen, but I'd like it to happen without losing Leon.
    Are you nuts???

Jets Insider VIP
    Our 1st this year, our 1st next year and a 4th this year.

Put it in the books. I have been saying all along berry is on our radar. Turn on the draft early cause were trading up w/ tampa or Cle for berry.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    And there's no way Tannenbaum would give up a future No. 1 for a safety.

He didn't want to give up the 2010 1st rounder for Sanchez and he didn't have to.
    I agree.

But, for arguments sake.

This would happen only IF Tanny and Rex believe Berry is the missing piece.

If they feel he fills the void in the secondary that will put us in direct contention for a Superbowl, then it would get done.

Thankfully, even my tiny football brain knows that's not the case so I disagree with the OP's premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

Put it in the books. I have been saying all along berry is on our radar. Turn on the draft early cause were trading up w/ tampa or Cle for berry.
    Do you work for ESPN and trying to boast ratings?

If that were to happen, after sitting in total shock for 10 minutes I would finally mumble, "in Tanny and Rex I trust" and then go into a coma....

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Do you work for ESPN and trying to boast ratings?

If that were to happen, after sitting in total shock, clutching a handle of Jack for 45 minutes I would finally mumble, "in Tanny and Rex I trust" and then go into an alcohol induced coma....

Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

No chance...

Even by judging from what Tannenbaum said today, there is just no chacne they move up a significant amount. Perhaps that unbelievable instance happens and a guy like Dan Williams falls within striking distance, but Tannenbaum laughed off the

Going by what Bradway said, it seems like they love the depth in this draft, and could easily end up trading down.

And they AbSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT move up for Berry. Would take far too much, and he's a safety. There is a reason that safeties do not get paid as much as other positions. They simply cannot have as big an impact as some other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And they AbSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT move up for Berry. Would take far too much, and he's a safety. There is a reason that safeties do not get paid as much as other positions. They simply cannot have as big an impact as some other positions.
    Maybe it's because I played safety, but I've always disagreed with those who say that safeties don't have as big an impact on the game. While it's easier to hide a bad safety and minimize his impact on the game, a great safety can have a larger impact on the game than a great player at any other position IMO. They're important in coverage, run support, and can pressure the QB as well. They scoop up the fumbles, lay out receivers going over the middle, and cover up the mistakes made by everyone else. Rod Woodson, John Lynch, Rodney Harrison, Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu, Darren Sharper. Seems like an awful lot of the Super Bowl champions of the last decade had elite safeties. And they're only going to get more important as the role of the TE continues to grow (another position that has been traditionally undervalued).

The effect of a bad safety can be minimized, but great safeties completely change the complexion of the game. I think Eric Berry is a great safety, so I'd have no problem giving up next year's first rounder to move up to get him.

What no one is saying is why would the other team even WANT to trade with us?

Even if it's for 2 #1s, it's a late one this year, and likely a late one next year.

And don't tell me about getting Sanchez -- that was a GIFT, and they weren't offering the 29th pick.

I gotta think A LOT of teams could offer more than we could, regardless of what package we put together.