Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Could we possibly launch ourselves into the Top 5/6 for Eric Berry?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    What no one is saying is why would the other team even WANT to trade with us?

    Even if it's for 2 #1s, it's a late one this year, and likely a late one next year.

    And don't tell me about getting Sanchez -- that was a GIFT, and they weren't offering the 29th pick.

    I gotta think A LOT of teams could offer more than we could, regardless of what package we put together.
    It's like I was saying on another board when people were complaining about us going after Marshall right after he was traded to the Phins.. We wouldn't be able to get Marshall for two second round picks because our second round picks are much less valuable than Miami's. We would've had to have given up much more. It's the same thing here.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Pass on trading up for Berry. Guy is a very good prospect but this draft is too deep at the Safety position to be packaging a whole bunch of picks to move up into top 10.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    I agree.

    But, for arguments sake.

    This would happen only IF Tanny and Rex believe Berry is the missing piece.

    If they feel he fills the void in the secondary that will put us in direct contention for a Superbowl, then it would get done.

    Thankfully, even my tiny football brain knows that's not the case so I disagree with the OP's premise.
    Intriguing argument. But, if Tanny & Rex thing that a college safety is a "missing piece" to contend for a SB then the Jets are in REAL trouble.

    There is no way a rookie safety could have such an impact.

    I think the Jets believe they already have the pieces for a SB and any rookie the Jets get in this draft is icing on the cake.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,643
    can we please stop with Eric Berry? Some people have gotten really spoiled by Tanny's last few offseasons and now seem to expect miracles every other week. Just let it go.

  5. #25
    I would be surprised if it happened, but can we seriously discount Tanny at this point? I think Berry would be an absolutely tremendous addition and would fill the Ed Reed role in this defense. Revis, Cromartie, Leonard and Berry with Lowery filling in as a 3rd DB? Sign me up for that any day of the week.

    Let's not forget that this front office has consistently moved up to snag players they deemed to be head and shoulders above the rest. That player is most definitely Eric Berry in this year's draft. Do we have the ammo to make such a big move? Not on the surface, but we all know Tanny has been extremely creative in the past...

  6. #26
    Does this sound like somebody tailor-made for Rex's defense to you? It does to me:
    As Berry put it, “I like to know what the defensive tackles are doing. I know what the defensive ends are doing. I know what the linebackers are doing. When I draw it up on the board, I show that I know every single player’s responsibilities.

    “I love being the guy coaches can come to and say ‘This week we need you to match up with this guy in the slot,’ or ‘Next week we need you blitzing through the B-gap because they’re weak’, or they want me dropping back in the zone or up in the box. Whatever the coordinator comes to me with that particular week, I want to be the guy who can do all of that.”

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Intriguing argument. But, if Tanny & Rex thing that a college safety is a "missing piece" to contend for a SB then the Jets are in REAL trouble.

    There is no way a rookie safety could have such an impact.

    I think the Jets believe they already have the pieces for a SB and any rookie the Jets get in this draft is icing on the cake.
    What he said. Just need Taylor to hurry his prancing ass and sign, get another passrushing presence/DL depth, maybe CB, OL, RB depth players etc.
    No outstanding needs we are strong right now.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,791
    a lot players got to get paid next season. i doubt the jets want to take on a top 5. Contract

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,785
    I'd be estatic but I just don't see it happening. My hope is that Mays is available at 29 and then if we have to move up at some point in the draft, I personally hope it would be to the earlier 2nd round for Cody.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    What no one is saying is why would the other team even WANT to trade with us?

    Even if it's for 2 #1s, it's a late one this year, and likely a late one next year.

    And don't tell me about getting Sanchez -- that was a GIFT, and they weren't offering the 29th pick.

    I gotta think A LOT of teams could offer more than we could, regardless of what package we put together.
    Easy, because if Clausen slides, the obvious spot for him to go would be 30 to the Vikings. A team could certainly want to trade down with the Jets to draft Clausen as late (and cheaply) as possible, or want to trade UP from the second round to 29.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    What no one is saying is why would the other team even WANT to trade with us?

    Even if it's for 2 #1s, it's a late one this year, and likely a late one next year.

    And don't tell me about getting Sanchez -- that was a GIFT, and they weren't offering the 29th pick.

    I gotta think A LOT of teams could offer more than we could, regardless of what package we put together.
    But a team still needs to want to trade..

    If the trade makes sense for both teams a trade will be done.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us