Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm really feeling Alualu...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Johnathan, that dude is so right about Bryant. I understand that he missed a year and he's said some dumb things, but I think it's laughable that some think he'll fall because he's lacking as an on-field player. Dude is straight up dominant when he's on, and he's on often.

Didn't know Dickson was such a profound lifter. I like watching the Ducks, so tell your boy thanks.

That's not necessarily true. Randy Moss can dominate a game while half assing it...Casey Hampton is a pretty lazy mofo sometimes (he was the first name I thought of but Moss also fits well)...so many top players came out with the "not going 100% all the time" knock from Haynesworth and Wilfork to Moss and Shawn Andrews. In the end, ability separates everyone.
    A talented player that works hard all the time will do better than a talented player who loafs. A medium player that who has a good motor will be better than a medium player who takes plays off. The league and colleges are littered with great talents that loafed and also littered with guys with less talent but a great motor that ended up being more effective.

The people you quoted as being great players that took plays off would have been all the better if they had a good motor.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3561093]I like watching the Ducks, so tell your boy thanks.

QUOTE]
    since when 2009? also, take that moss jersey off your wall already.

Jonathon,

Can you get his thoughts on TJ Ward for me please. I'm a fan and think he is underrated and a fit for Jets sytem.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    I like watching the Ducks, so tell your boy thanks.

Jonathon,

Can you get his thoughts on TJ Ward for me please. I'm a fan and think he is underrated and a fit for Jets sytem.
    i just emailed him to ask, ill post as soon as he responds

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    a DE shouldn't be any taller than 6.3,
    In the CFL or the NFL? Cause in the NFL....

Yea, since 2009. And sir, yes, sir.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    alualu is a great player.. a little undersized but high motor and great leverage... i have him ranked about 31 on my big board, which is higher than most and he wouldn't be a dire reach at 29. he's kind of a tweener but has all the intangibles that would make mangini go crazy

I question whether Rex Needs a high priced DL but that's another discussion. Alualu is 6'3" 295 and worth a first or second round pick. Pitoitua is 6'8" 315 and free.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    alualu is a great player.. a little undersized but high motor and great leverage... i have him ranked about 31 on my big board, which is higher than most and he wouldn't be a dire reach at 29. he's kind of a tweener but has all the intangibles that would make mangini go crazy

I question whether Rex Needs a high priced DL but that's another discussion. Alualu is 6'3" 295 and worth a first or second round pick. Pitoitua is 6'8" 315 and free.
    i actually agree and i've come to the conclusion that unless something screwy happens the jets will be looking at hughes/kindle/sapp to instantly upgrade the pass rush, with an eye to taking a pure DE who falls to them in round 2. i could easily see them taking hughes in the 1st and either joseph or carrington in the 2nd, or even a cb in the 2nd and a decent DE prospect in the 4th who rex likes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

The 29th pick isn't high priced and breaking the bank....

You should be Pito's agent...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pito is a poor man's DeVito in the making, but Alualu could be special I think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the stuff, but those comments basically describe someone who is the opposite of Brian Price.

Price has elite penetration ability and pass rushing skills. Dude is a first rounder and the closest thing to Sapp that I've seen in years. Ability to penetrate is unmatched.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I appreciate the stuff, but those comments basically describe someone who is the opposite of Brian Price.

Price has elite penetration ability and pass rushing skills. Dude is a first rounder and the closest thing to Sapp that I've seen in years. Ability to penetrate is unmatched.
    dropping faster than an anvil and could fall out of the top 40....the first round is an afterthought at this point...plus Price is a one-gap/three technique d-lineman...awful fit for the jets....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-16-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

id trust a guy who played against him one-on-one over anyone else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    id trust a guy who played against him one-on-one over anyone else.
    That's fine. But I'm telling you he's wrong. I've now seen 2 games focusing on Brian Price with him against USC and him against Tenn. Perhaps something got lost in translation, so there is some leeway there. Price is a penetrating guy who has unbelievable ability to knife through the line. Has good strength although he's not like a McCoy who can just toss aside a blocker or blow him into the QB. Price is very much like what Sapp used to be.

And I watched a good deal of Alualu recently and I'm not impressed... Guy just doesn't have the next level strength and he'll need it unless he's going to play OLB in our system. not only that, but he's not especially great at getting angles on blockers and being able to really make a difference. USC LT Charles Brown (who looks damn good) was able to win every matchup, when they did match up. Was impressed how Cal actually moved Alualu to both sides of the line, but he just wasn't good enough consistently enough to really make someone think he could be a big time player.

Everson Griffen will be a player... Dude has great athleticism despite his size and could absolutely play OLB even though he's 270. Good pass rusher and can get the edge on a lot of guys.

I actually put Griffen and Graham on par with eachother even though Graham is going to go significantly higher.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    dropping faster than an anvil and could fall out of the top 40....the first round is an afterthought at this point...plus Price is a one-gap/three technique d-lineman...awful fit for the jets....
    Marques Douglas is a guy who lives behind the line of scrimmage as well.. Rex's system is truly one of the few that actually utilizes all types of players. And yes... I understand that it seems Price is going to fall quite a bit. I have to see him fall out of the top 40 before I believe it though. Some team out there has to have film on him and that speaks for itself. The guy is so damn tough to block.

Same reason Rex was willing to trade Kenyon Coleman. Coleman is the prototype 2 gapping 5 technique, but that wasn't worth much to Rex because he really doesn't ask for that.

Rex's 3-4 involves a lot of 1 gapping, as compared to the traditional 3-4 you see with New England, Cleveland, or what we used to have.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 04-17-2010 at 01:43 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex traded coleman to get a qb. period, end of story.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Marques Douglas is a guy who lives behind the line of scrimmage as well.. Rex's system is truly one of the few that actually utilizes all types of players. And yes... I understand that it seems Price is going to fall quite a bit. I have to see him fall out of the top 40 before I believe it though. Some team out there has to have film on him and that speaks for itself. The guy is so damn tough to block.

Same reason Rex was willing to trade Kenyon Coleman. Coleman is the prototype 2 gapping 5 technique, but that wasn't worth much to Rex because he really doesn't ask for that.

Rex's 3-4 involves a lot of 1 gapping, as compared to the traditional 3-4 you see with New England, Cleveland, or what we used to have.
    that's great- in Marques Douglas you are comparing a guy who gets the most from his ability, ditto Devito- can't say the same about Price at this point....those types have a huge bust factor, especially when they are struggling against multiple blockers, which Price will have to put up with as a 3-4 end regardless of whether he's asked to one-gap or two-gap...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's fine. But I'm telling you he's wrong. I've now seen 2 games focusing on Brian Price with him against USC and him against Tenn.
    your 2 games on TV vs his careers-worth of actual game film (not to mention physically going up against him one-on-one)? really?
    Last edited by Jonathan; 04-18-2010 at 01:10 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    your 2 games on TV vs his careers-worth of actual game film (not to mention physically going up against him one-on-one)? really?
    Absolutely. I don't sit there and watch a UCLA game rooting for a team, and then say "yeah, I've seen Brian Price play." I sit there and watch Price the entire game, only watching him.

A person learns real quick what a player has in terms of style, quickness, strength at the point, and even mentality.

Overall, just telling you that I really think your friend's opinion on him is wrong.

Price reminds me of Warren Sapp with the way he can just consistently get penetration. Typically defensive linemen don't have that style, or the ability to do it. Very often, the best linemen like Suh are stack and shed types of guys who just have great hands. Price has this penetration ability, coupled with very good strength. He can't hold the point of attack like a Dan Williams, but he just can manage to knife through an offensive line.

We'll see what happens though. I've watched these guys play and I have an opinion I trust. Usually in past I am right for the most part.

Here are my opinions:

McCoy: Star
    Suh: Good player, but will start SLOW (will be called bust his first year)
    Cody: Bust
    Alualu: Not good
    Price: Very good player
    Dan Williams: Very good player
    Odrick: Bust

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    also, to test out his own validity - he's predicting Ed Dickson is drafted by the Ravens. also said he was the #1 strongest player on the Ducks, ahead of all OL and DL and LB

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    meone interesting should fall to them in the 2nd at a position they didn't expect.