Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm really feeling Alualu...

I'm really feeling Alualu...

I don't think he lasts till the second round, no way, not the way everyone is talking about him lately. A bit undersized (6.2 290) but strong and tough as nails, unlike all these other guys, Alualu actually played DE on a 3-4 defense at Cal and notched 7.5 sacks which is great for a 3-4 end. I'm thinking he's the guy the Jets are really salivating about and they know they can get him with a slight trade down. Houston and Price are two others I would consider if we trade down.

The fact that he played 3-4 end in college doesn't matter...a college 3-4 is very different from a pro 3-4...the closest thing to a pro 3-4 in college is the 'Bama 3-4.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-15-2010 at 01:48 PM.

i agree. and if they sign jason taylor they're not in need of a rush olb right away either, so that 2nd round pick can be any position.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Odrick, Alualu, Joseph, Carrington...all of these guys are going to go sooner than expected, mark my words. Anyone who thinks any of the guys I just mentioned are there at #61 is kidding themselves IMO.

About 80% of the league is now running some variation of the 3-4. ALL OF THEM are looking for talented big men up front.

I think Alualu would do better in a 4-3 than a 3-4 in the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Odrick, Alualu, Joseph, Carrington...all of these guys are going to go sooner than expected, mark my words. Anyone who thinks any of the guys I just mentioned are there at #61 is kidding themselves IMO.

About 80% of the league is now running some variation of the 3-4. ALL OF THEM are looking for talented big men up front.
    i can see the jets taking alualu in the 1st and then taking BAP in round 2, with the understanding that there will be a run on DL and they won't have the opportunity to get these guys at 61. someone interesting should fall to them in the 2nd at a position they didn't expect.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I think Alualu is the kind of player who will find success regardless of system. He's just that kind of guy. Graham and Worilds are two players who fit that criteria as well IMO.

Guys who are football players through and through, are animalistic on the field, and play the first snap like it's their last. Not to mention that all three are top notch athletes as well.

1 draft site's opinion.

Quick, strong and passionate, Alualu's production is even more impressive considering he played defensive end in the 3-4 alignment -- a position typically defined as a block-consuming, role-playing spot more than a stat-producing position. Scouts believe Alualu's numbers would be even more impressive if he were playing in a 4-3 defense. He appears better suited to be a "three technique" defensive tackle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...;pageContainer

my buddy plays OL for the Oregon Ducks and went up against Alualu one-on-one. this is what he had to say about him:

Alualu on the other hand, believe the hype. Dude is a tank with a motor. I think he will be a stud... only consideration will be his transition to the NFL because Cal's Dline plays very, very weird 2 gap hold schemes. In our blowout of Cal, he was the only one giving us issues. Alualu would be a stud in the Jets system, IMO

Alualu would fit in here, hes one of the guys I want.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    1 draft site's opinion.

Quick, strong and passionate, Alualu's production is even more impressive considering he played defensive end in the 3-4 alignment -- a position typically defined as a block-consuming, role-playing spot more than a stat-producing position. Scouts believe Alualu's numbers would be even more impressive if he were playing in a 4-3 defense. He appears better suited to be a "three technique" defensive tackle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...;pageContainer
    I was thinking something like LDE in Philly's scheme or something....I might be sounding like a size queen right now, but size is kind of a big deal on this DL.

I was thinking something like LDE in Philly's scheme or something....I might be sounding like a size queen right now, but size is kind of a big deal on this DL.
    I'm no expert, never seen Alualu play but the writeups about him and his size sound like Marques Douglas?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    my buddy plays OL for the Oregon Ducks and went up against Alualu one-on-one. this is what he had to say about him:

Alualu on the other hand, believe the hype. Dude is a tank with a motor. I think he will be a stud... only consideration will be his transition to the NFL because Cal's Dline plays very, very weird 2 gap hold schemes. In our blowout of Cal, he was the only one giving us issues. Alualu would be a stud in the Jets system, IMO
    just out of curiosity, who was he talking about first - presumably about how you shouldn't believe the hype?

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    just out of curiosity, who was he talking about first - presumably about how you shouldn't believe the hype?
    Just a guess, but since it is pac10 so first guy that comes to mind is Griffen from USC.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Taylor Mays and Everson Griffen. heres everything he said:

Mays=WEAK. Dude is just a physical freak... just a big intimidating safety because he's fast and 240. Didnt think he came off blocks well. Griffin is much of the same, but softer. USC's entire dline was just athletic... not enough hand violence or explosiveness to be a huge threat. Just another guy that sounds like a stud on paper.

And yeah, Mays, regardless of film, is probably a first rounder based on experience, level of play against elite competition, and his pure stats.

on Brian Price...

I don't think he's a first rounder personally. Weak motor. But when that dude saw a double team, he was ****ing immovable.
    My knee was all jacked up in the 3rd qtr, but i still couldn't move him on a power if I was 100%. It took awhile for him to get going though, the first series or two he was really soft... looked that way on film too.

Yeah, Price is definitely out of shape. Dude plays lazy, but like I said, can be immovable. Can't get a pass rush and can't get off the snap, but whenever we ran power at him it was not pretty.

he also says that, after seeing Dez Bryant up close in 2008 tear up his entire secondary, anyone would be foolish to pass on him....

Anyone who passes up on Dez Bryant is a fool... I think from seeing this guy first hand he is one of the best receivers I've ever seen. Jonathan, go throw on a tape of the first half of the 2008 Holiday Bowl and don't watch anything but him...

He was doing absolute WORK on our DBs, which were proven studs (Chung... playing with the Pats as a rookie last year, Byrd... I'd have to say he was shaping up to be a Defensive rookie of the year with all the picks he had this season for the Bills

also, to test out his own validity - he's predicting Ed Dickson is drafted by the Ravens. also said he was the #1 strongest player on the Ducks, ahead of all OL and DL and LB

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Taylor Mays and Everson Griffen. heres everything he said:

Mays=WEAK. Dude is just a physical freak... just a big intimidating safety because he's fast and 240. Didnt think he came off blocks well. Griffin is much of the same, but softer. USC's entire dline was just athletic... not enough hand violence or explosiveness to be a huge threat. Just another guy that sounds like a stud on paper.

And yeah, Mays, regardless of film, is probably a first rounder based on experience, level of play against elite competition, and his pure stats.

on Brian Price...

I don't think he's a first rounder personally. Weak motor. But when that dude saw a double team, he was ****ing immovable.
    My knee was all jacked up in the 3rd qtr, but i still couldn't move him on a power if I was 100%. It took awhile for him to get going though, the first series or two he was really soft... looked that way on film too.

Yeah, Price is definitely out of shape. Dude plays lazy, but like I said, can be immovable. Can't get a pass rush and can't get off the snap, but whenever we ran power at him it was not pretty.

he also says that, after seeing Dez Bryant up close in 2008 tear up his entire secondary, anyone would be foolish to pass on him....

Anyone who passes up on Dez Bryant is a fool... I think from seeing this guy first hand he is one of the best receivers I've ever seen. Jonathan, go throw on a tape of the first half of the 2008 Holiday Bowl and don't watch anything but him...

He was doing absolute WORK on our DBs, which were proven studs (Chung... playing with the Pats as a rookie last year, Byrd... I'd have to say he was shaping up to be a Defensive rookie of the year with all the picks he had this season for the Bills

also, to test out his own validity - he's predicting Ed Dickson is drafted by the Ravens. also said he was the #1 strongest player on the Ducks, ahead of all OL and DL and LB
    Thanks - Always nice to hear an insider's take.

no prob, this guy will be with the ducks for at least another 2 seasons at least so i expect a ton of his opinions. on a side note, hes very close with the Chargers front office. they conducted a combine for west coast high school recruits a few years back that he attended.

Whenever I hear people talking about a player having a non stop motor my ears perk up. That is what separates medium from good and good from great players.

Johnathan, that dude is so right about Bryant. I understand that he missed a year and he's said some dumb things, but I think it's laughable that some think he'll fall because he's lacking as an on-field player. Dude is straight up dominant when he's on, and he's on often.

Didn't know Dickson was such a profound lifter. I like watching the Ducks, so tell your boy thanks.

Whenever I hear people talking about a player having a non stop motor my ears perk up. That is what separates medium from good and good from great players.
    That's not necessarily true. Randy Moss can dominate a game while half assing it...Casey Hampton is a pretty lazy mofo sometimes (he was the first name I thought of but Moss also fits well)...so many top players came out with the "not going 100% all the time" knock from Haynesworth and Wilfork to Moss and Shawn Andrews. In the end, ability separates everyone.

Johnathan, that dude is so right about Bryant. I understand that he missed a year and he's said some dumb things, but I think it's laughable that some think he'll fall because he's lacking as an on-field player. Dude is straight up dominant when he's on, and he's on often.

Didn't know Dickson was such a profound lifter. I like watching the Ducks, so tell your boy thanks.

That's not necessarily true. Randy Moss can dominate a game while half assing it...Casey Hampton is a pretty lazy mofo sometimes (he was the first name I thought of but Moss also fits well)...so many top players came out with the "not going 100% all the time" knock from Haynesworth and Wilfork to Moss and Shawn Andrews. In the end, ability separates everyone.

A NT can afford to be lazy as long as they're controlling who's in front of them and hold their ground, I don't remember Ted Washington moving much, but he sure made piles around him. What this guy says about Alualu mirrors everything I've seen and heard so far, a lot of people are really high on him. He's not undersized, just a tad short which actually works in his favor with leverage and all, a DE shouldn't be any taller than 6.3, I like my DE's to be short with long arms and big hands, easier get under taller LT's pads that way. I remember how good Hugh Douglass was at turning into the QB because of the leverage he used to get around them and his height helped him... What was Hugh 6.1 270? Alualu is 6.2 290-295... That's plenty of size to play any scheme.