Thread: 4/15 Pre-Draft Press Conference info

4/15 Pre-Draft Press Conference info

The whole thing is up on the official Jets site. Pretty good listen with these 3 guys talking if anyone wants to check it out..

The Jets held their pre-draft press today with GM Mike Tannenbaum and his right-hand men, Joey Clinkscales and Terry Bradway. No real news there, but a couple of nuggets:

1. Tannenbaum said the Jason Taylor decision will have only a small impact on the team's draft plans. Not sure if I'm buying that one. Taylor reportedly will make his decision today.

2. Tannenbaum, who has traded up in the first round in each of the last three drafts, said he has no plans to make it four in a row. "I told these guys we're not trading up this year," he said. "No matter what happens, grab the phones. I don't want to trade up, but we'll see what happens. We're happy where we are.

3. He said he'd like to add a DLM or two. He also said he'd like to draft a corner.

4. Clinkscales mentioned Texas' Sergio Kindle and TCU's Jerry Hughes as hybrid pass rushers/linemen that are intriguing.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/#ixzz0lCKDyIht

Mr T has something up his sleeve as usual...

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    ... So they showed minimal interest in D-Linman's, CB's and OLB's... Also said they're not trading up, and have no plans on it....

CONCLUSION....

We are trading our 1st, 2nd and something else to get Eric Berry!!!

i thought the half hour presser was interesting. if anyone has the time, watch tanny's face when he discusses the draft strategy or leon. sometimes i think he has somewhat of a twitch with his eyes, and i don't know if that's a tip that he's lying or i'm going james bond here. he sounded sincere that he didn't want to trade up, yet, you could sense that he wants to manipulate the board somehow with his 5 picks. with bradway insisting that the strength of the draft is in rounds 2-5, and considering the jets only have 2 remaining picks in these 4 rounds, something's got to give.

my money is on the jets trading back, out of round 1 if they can, picking up extra picks, picking 2x in the 2nd round, and then trading up in the 4th somehow. the man has his finger on the trigger and was begging his staff to hide the phones....the man is a gamer, and sounded like he was ready to talk trade right then and there.

Veteran
    Tanny made it seem like were going OLB and CB with our first two picks.

Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    Tanny made it seem like were going OLB and CB with our first two picks.
    tanny mentioned that rex finds guys in the later rounds and molds them into DL. he also said that they don't necessarily need to take a DL in the first 2 rounds, but we'll see about that. one thing that i agree with is tanny seemed inclined to take a cb early, presumably in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i thought the half hour presser was interesting. if anyone has the time, watch tanny's face when he discusses the draft strategy or leon. sometimes i think he has somewhat of a twitch with his eyes, and i don't know if that's a tip that he's lying or i'm going james bond here. he sounded sincere that he didn't want to trade up, yet, you could sense that he wants to manipulate the board somehow with his 5 picks. with bradway insisting that the strength of the draft is in rounds 2-5, and considering the jets only have 2 remaining picks in these 4 rounds, something's got to give.

my money is on the jets trading back, out of round 1 if they can, picking up extra picks, picking 2x in the 2nd round, and then trading up in the 4th somehow. the man has his finger on the trigger and was begging his staff to hide the phones....the man is a gamer, and sounded like he was ready to talk trade right then and there.
    I really hope this is exactly what he does. Just going through the JI mock draft this year there is lots of talent 2nd round and through the mid rounds. Further more the talent is in bunches it seems so that if some teams fill a position need early some really good players of that position will fall further than their talent dictates.

My last mock I had the Jets trading down to get an extra 4th.

Veteran
    tanny mentioned that rex finds guys in the later rounds and molds them into DL. he also said that they don't necessarily need to take a DL in the first 2 rounds, but we'll see about that. one thing that i agree with is tanny seemed inclined to take a cb early, presumably in the 2nd.
    I would love to get Kindle and Cook in the first two rounds. Then going DL in the 4th.

Got a good laugh from a scouting friend today.... teams aren't listening to anything that's out there right now

http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

1) Sergio Kindle
    2) Morgan Burnett
    4) CJ Wilson
    6) Zane Beadles
    7) Zoltan Mesko

Boom.

amen!

Rex Ryan found Justin Bannan after 5 years on the bills. he has Ellis a rock, Pouha and Devito playing their butts off and Jenkins coming back... plus actual sleepers like Pito and Kroul... and Green/Douglas still on the open market.

They need a guy but DL is not a huge "first round" area of concern for the Jets....and it hasn't been all draft season.

Best available value player who falls at ANY of those need positions is going to be their strategy. (CB, OLB, WR, S, RB even is possible)

Rex ryan is not going to be banging the table with his shoe begging for a DL. That's not a scenario that's gonna happen next week. He doesn't need 4 high priced DLs to run a defense.

his old team, the Ravens are probably gonna have to reach for a lineman cause they lost more than a DC when left town. He doesn't put em back there like Herm and Mangini did and ask them to make plays. He sends em to places where the ball is gonna be... Rex Ryan uses these guys in specific ways and it's easier to play an aggressive defense for any player.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
    ... So they showed minimal interest in D-Linman's, CB's and OLB's... Also said they're not trading up, and have no plans on it....

CONCLUSION....

We are trading our 1st, 2nd and something else to get Eric Berry!!!

LOL, Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Got a good laugh from a scouting friend today.... teams aren't listening to anything that's out there right now

its true that there is a ton of misinformation... but sometimes guys let stuff slip in these press conferences.

never forget the time Herm held a press conference, mentioned Vilma, and took him... and he became DROY.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

They aren't...most of this stuff is just noise. Bryant spends 6 months as an unquestioned top 5-10 player then suddenly he's lazy and this and that. Suddenly everyone realizes that DeMaryius Thomas is really talented. Linval Joseph is this week's flavor of the week. Austen Lane had a nice little run with 2nd round talk. Jared Veldheer had a week where he got alot of hype. Golten Tate was guy who had a loud run. It's just building hype and throwing some mystery into the draft. It's the only thing that makes it fun for alot of people really.

Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    I would love to get Kindle and Cook in the first two rounds. Then going DL in the 4th.
    Not a bad idea at all