View Poll Results: How would you guys feel about McCourty with our first round pick?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy with that pick

22 51.16%
  • Do not want

21 48.84%

Thread: CB Devin McCourty @ #29

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

CB Devin McCourty @ #29

How would you guys feel about McCourty with our first round pick?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are getting slaughtered Buzz.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You are getting slaughtered Buzz.
    lol, for sure. But I got killed last year when I was pushing for Sanchez as well. And little known to JI posters is that I can change poll results

Seriously though McCourty's in my top-5 because I think he can make an impact this season and be a future starter if Cro doesn't work out. As a rookie he'd be a terrific returner and come in for our nickel and dime packages. And Rex loves DB's:

But as general manager Mike Tannenbaum likes to recall Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome telling him about Rex Ryan some 15 months ago, "You're going to hire a really good coach, and all he wants is corners."

"The ink wasn't even dry on this trade and Rex wanted to know who the next corner was that we were going to get," Tannenbaum said of the Cromartie deal with San Diego. "Depth at corner is something that's paramount to Rex and the way he and Mike Pettine want to play defense."
    I don't know as much about the draft as a lot of posters here, but I think I know the Jets as well as anyone and I think McCourty's on the Jets draft list for possibilities for that 1st round pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for McCourty because I think he can be a nickel corner right away, and IMO he can upgrade Special Teams. Special Teams need help with the loss of Wallace Wright, Trusnick & Izzo.
    Just to contradict myself, you take the Pass Rusher, or a big guy if they are there at 29 . Excellent values at 61 at CB, Murphy, Ghee and possibly Jackson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Seriously though McCourty's in my top-5 because I think he can make an impact this season and be a future starter if Cro doesn't work out. As a rookie he'd be a terrific returner and come in for our nickel and dime packages. And Rex loves DB's:
    Buzz, I'm with you 100%. As Rex reportedly says, you can never have enough corners -- and I'm thinking that he's thinking about the mismatch problems we had with the Colts 4 or 5 receiver sets last January. I also love what McCourty immediately brings to special teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    believe it or not, nickel cornerback/returner is probably the Jets worst need at the moment.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    believe it or not, nickel cornerback/returner is probably the Jets worst need at the moment.
    I'm not sure if its our biggest need, but it's certainly a need. To get to where we want to go, we have to go through NE, Indy, Pitt and SD, all pass happy teams, and right now our 3rd CB is Lowery.

Special teams has def been an overlooked need. Leon's coming off an injury, and B. Smith, Cotchery and Leonard are only OK returners. I'd have no problem with McCourty.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problem with McCourty as a player, there will be better value than him at 29. Cody, Odrick, Kindle, at least one of those players should be available and if they aren't, I prefer Kareem Jackson to McCourty.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming that we sign Jason Taylor to fill that pass rusher hole, I see the positions we are addressing in the first 2 rounds being OL/DL/DBs. DL being the biggest position of need right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    As in biggest need?

I can see (in any order) S, DL, OLB, CB in the 1st and 2nd round for the Jets. Two of those positions are being filled.

It depends on better comparative value.

If the Jets have an OLB in mind at 29 they'll compare him to the OLB available at 61, if there is a huge dropoff they'd likely take the OLB at 29. Same with CB or DL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Corners and Pass rush, Pass rush and Corners.....the more the better.