Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Cody @ 29?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

    36 52.94%
  • Nay

    32 47.06%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Terrence Cody @ 29?

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Possible starting lineup:

    Ellis
    Jenkins
    Cody

    Thou shalt not run.
    Fixd.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    believe it or not Terrence Cody is a rare athlete.

    There are not 6'4" nose tackles who can still play effectively at 350 every year.

    It just doesn't happen.

    There won't be one next year... maybe not for another 3... 5... or even 10 years.


    and when it does happen, he probably won't have Terrence Cody's resume of winning a champ and being first team all-american.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    FATBOY didn't even crack my TOP 50

    He's #60 on my board

    http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/glenn_bernardi/?p=697
    that very well might be his draft value... fair enough

    i dont care if he's selected 160 he's gonna be a guy coaches rely on in short yardage situations.

  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta laugh at Schein and his "high powered NFL exec" source.

    What, you mean the same remark that was in EVERY COMMENT posted on deadspin when that picture was released?

    To call that some kind of "insider" red flag is ridiculous.

    Cody is out of shape, but is also a rare physical specimen. It all comes down to his interviews. If Rex can sense that the kid loves football, and is willing to work on his stamina, we take him at 29 if Graham is already off the board.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green&White51 View Post
    If the top three Safties are gone, or they're simply not looking for a S in round 1, then I say go for it.
    There are going to be some quality Safeties available for us at 61. Safety is a deep position in this draft, deeper than NT.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,753
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Is it true Terrence Cody was throw out of the army for hiding a jelly donut in his foot-locker?
    "Did you just call my beloved corp, "the army", private Pyle?"


  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we selected him I would hope I am wrong and he turns out to be the elite player that some of you say he is. He will be on the board come draft day, I am pretty sure of that. I did a few mock drafts and I just can't see where he goes in the first. I think he'll be drafted in round 2 personally. And no I did not come up with this conclusion based on his 40-time, I just haven't been impressed by him in the Alabama games I have watched this past season. I kept an eye on him too since he was the hyped up 6'5 400 pound NT prospect.


    Only a few more days till draft day so we can find out what happens.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    FATBOY didn't even crack my TOP 50

    He's #60 on my board

    http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/glenn_bernardi/?p=697


    But don't let that give you the impression I would be happy with Baby Huey in RD 2, because I wouldn't
    Excellent story my good man.

    He didn't crack your top 60, but Linval Joseph cracked your top 30.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ So you feel you haven't made your point yet or...?

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, NFL Network just had a segment on "Path to the Draft" with Baldy, Casserly, and Brooks talking about Cody "sneaking" into the first round so I guess hes been listed by the "experts" as pretty much a second rounder.

    I think hes worth a look at 350lbs and with his highlights, but remember that he was pretty much a SITUATIONAL/ 2 Down player at 'Bama. He had/has stamina issues and is a fatass at 22 years old.

    And before people jump in about "NFL Conditioning programs", remember, this guy played for Saban. 'Ol Coach Saban knows how to run a program and is a disciplinarian and He couldn't keep this kid from nearly eating his way out of Football.

    As much as weight is a plus at the position, his TERRIBLE conditioning at 22 years old coming out of 4 years of NCAA Football playing for Nick Saban is a HUUUUGE (no pun intended) warning flag....


    So I'll see your "but he'll be in an NFL Conditioning Program" and raise you a Bryan "The Hamburgler" Thomas.
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 04-16-2010 at 11:52 PM.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Come on, Gato, where's your sense of humor man?

    I'm just goofing around a little, no harm done.
    Of course. Still repeating that he's fat over and over in various forms doesn't really add much.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-17-2010 at 12:56 AM.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow we're evenly split here, I say yay, I think this kid has upside and I like his attitude, something tells me he will go to work right away on getting his body right, those tits are scary and he looks soft like he's never picked up a dumbell in his life, that is actually good news to me because it tells me he can actually get a lot stronger, also, you know big Jenks will take the kid under his wing and teach him the ropes... Come ere' big fella, let me see them titties wiggle, come on don't run now tittie boy...

    Oh and CBTNY would have a heart attack

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Wow we're evenly split here, I say yay, I think this kid has upside and I like his attitude, something tells me he will go to work right away on getting his body right, those tits are scary and he looks soft like he's never picked up a dumbell in his life, that is actually good news to me because it tells me he can actually get a lot stronger, also, you know big Jenks will take the kid under his wing and teach him the ropes... Come ere' big fella, let me see them titties wiggle, come on don't run now tittie boy...

    Oh and CBTNY would have a heart attack
    I just hope the Chargers take him at 28.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Posts
    7,824
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he'd be a steal at 29...
    100% agree.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Posts
    7,824
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Excellent story my good man.

    He didn't crack your top 60, but Linval Joseph cracked your top 30.
    ... lol....

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    I worry about his playing strength and ability to stand his ground effectively. From what I have seen he ends up on the ground too much for a man his size. I couldn't care less whether he can run an eight minute mile but I want incredible strength from an NT. His lower body lacks explosive power as evidenced by the 40yd dash and the 10yd split of that time. His upper body is relatively weak for a man his size. Has potential in my mind because god doesn't make frames that big very often but he is a huge question mark in my opinion.

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Well, NFL Network just had a segment on "Path to the Draft" with Baldy, Casserly, and Brooks talking about Cody "sneaking" into the first round so I guess hes been listed by the "experts" as pretty much a second rounder.

    I think hes worth a look at 350lbs and with his highlights, but remember that he was pretty much a SITUATIONAL/ 2 Down player at 'Bama. He had/has stamina issues and is a fatass at 22 years old.

    And before people jump in about "NFL Conditioning programs", remember, this guy played for Saban. 'Ol Coach Saban knows how to run a program and is a disciplinarian and He couldn't keep this kid from nearly eating his way out of Football.

    As much as weight is a plus at the position, his TERRIBLE conditioning at 22 years old coming out of 4 years of NCAA Football playing for Nick Saban is a HUUUUGE (no pun intended) warning flag....


    So I'll see your "but he'll be in an NFL Conditioning Program" and raise you a Bryan "The Hamburgler" Thomas.
    while conditioning is the biggest concern regarding Cody, you need to get your facts straight.

    first, he didn't play 4 years under Nick Saban. hell, 4 years ago, Nick Saban was still coaching the Dolfags. Cody played 2 years of NCAA Football under Nick Saban, 2008 and 2009.

    second, good ol' disciplinarian Nick did manage to keep this kid from eating his way out of football. when he came in from Mississipi Gulf Coast CC, Cody weighed over 400 pounds. in his two years at Alabama, Cody lost over 40 pounds and played at around 360 last year. this shows that, in the right environment, Cody will put in the work to get in better shape.

    it's true that he got fat once the season ended, weighing-in at 370 for the Senior Bowl. that once again raised flags about his ability to stay in shape and hurt his draft stock to the point that he's even in the conversation for us at #29. without that, he'd be a lock for the Top 20. but once again, he has shown dedication by dropping over 20 pounds -- the last reports had him at 349 for his Pro Day.

    as far as him being a "situational/2-down player" well, that just the nature of his position. you don't see many Nose Tackles playing all downs on a regular basis, not even our own Kris Jenkins.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I worry about his playing strength and ability to stand his ground effectively. From what I have seen he ends up on the ground too much for a man his size. I couldn't care less whether he can run an eight minute mile but I want incredible strength from an NT. His lower body lacks explosive power as evidenced by the 40yd dash and the 10yd split of that time. His upper body is relatively weak for a man his size. Has potential in my mind because god doesn't make frames that big very often but he is a huge question mark in my opinion.
    his playing strength as a rookie may not be ideal, but this guy can develop it over the years. cody at 22 won't be cody at 26 if he works at it.

    i think cody gives the jets a dominant run defense right away and forces teams (like the dolphins) to rethink how they'll attack the running game. it begs teams to pass and that plays into rex's hands. i think cody is a prime target of the jets, like it or not. being able to control 1st down is a big deal, statistically.

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    we can talk about what shape he was in until the cows come home

    the bottom line Saban had no problems with his weight... the scouts did... and that defense kicked ass.

    Saban won the national championship with a first team all-american first team sec "slob" at the middle of his defense.

    my stance its not really gonna be an issue for the Jets

    too many other 3-4 teams need terrence cody more than the Jets do. he's the 3rd string NT at best on this team

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,183
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a big NT to rotate and eventually replace Kris Jenkins, definitely yes. This guy is big and can dominate

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us