Thread: Eagles want to trade up for a safety

Eagles want to trade up for a safety

Eagles want to trade up for a safety

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2010 12:13 PM ET

With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round, and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. (Our mock draft has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)

King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall trade.

For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-for-a-safety/

The violence loving part of me wants to see Taylor Mays fall to us, and this wouldn't help that. More teams needing safeties would be inclined to consider Mays earlier than we pick if someone were to move up and take Thomas.

Plus I think Thomas is going to be a good player so I'd rather he not go to a team I dislike such as the Eagles.

Good, I hope someone takes Mays before us and I hope the Eagles trade into the top 20 to get him. Hopefully this will let Graham fall one more spot to us. It's the same reason why I'm hoping that some team will be dumb enough to reach for Tebow in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    Good, I hope someone takes Mays before us and I hope the Eagles trade into the top 20 to get him. Hopefully this will let Graham fall one more spot to us. It's the same reason why I'm hoping that some team will be dumb enough to reach for Tebow in the first.
    Definitely want Tebow to go above us. Just makes a player at a needed position fall to us.

Mays however I have a bit of interest in. There is just nothing better than watching a running back on a sweep to the outside and then this huge safety coming out of nowhere and just about destroying him. Good stuff.

But yes... If it makes Graham fall then I'm on board. Hopefully a lot of the receivers catch peoples' eyes because we don't need that position either, and it would be nice if they are all off the board too.

Receivers will probably go considering the two teams in the super bowl last year had great depth at the position. Everyone loves to copy.

Veteran
    I'm hoping the Dolphins aren't able to trade down. They have a number of holes and the less picks they have to fix them, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    I'm hoping the Dolphins aren't able to trade down. They have a number of holes and the less picks they have to fix them, the better.
    I don't get upset so much when a team has a lot of picks, it's who they pick.

I've been thrilled over the years with the crap that New England keeps taking. Even last year with the laughable trade up for Ron Brace. Dude is complete trash.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Definitely want Tebow to go above us. Just makes a player at a needed position fall to us.

Mays however I have a bit of interest in. There is just nothing better than watching a running back on a sweep to the outside and then this huge safety coming out of nowhere and just about destroying him. Good stuff.

But yes... If it makes Graham fall then I'm on board. Hopefully a lot of the receivers catch peoples' eyes because we don't need that position either, and it would be nice if they are all off the board too.

Receivers will probably go considering the two teams in the super bowl last year had great depth at the position. Everyone loves to copy.
    Mays has grown on me to the extent where I won't throw my remote at the TV if the Jets draft him, but I'd still be weary of picking him. All of the videos that I've watched of him makes him look extremely stiff. He also looks to get caught out of position a lot. In one of the Golden Tate vids I was watching last week before we traded for Holmes, I saw one play where Mays got caught ridiculously out of position and led to a Tate TD. I'm also afraid that he always goes for the monster hit rather than wrapping the guy he's tackling. I know that his monster hits are going to make receivers be afraid to go across the middle, but when he whiffs on those huge hits (and he whiffs fairly often), he's going to give up huge plays. So like I said, I wouldn't be level 10 pissed if we drafted him, but there is still a boatload of players I would want before him.

Also, good point on the receivers, I hadn't even thought of that. Hopefully Thomas and Tate go before us too. I also hope that Cleveland is able to trade up with St. Louis because than Clausen probably won't fall to us either. I'm just trying to think of ways that positions that we don't need get drafted in front of us so we can have some awesome players fall to us.
    Last edited by WeeZiTe; 04-16-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

mays isn't even in the conversation here- they are considering moving up for either berry or thomas according to the article...they could stand pat and draft mays when he falls in their laps but they realize he's a one-dimensional straight line player and they have no use for him....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    mays isn't even in the conversation here- they are considering moving up for either berry or thomas...they could stand pat and draft mays when he falls in their laps but they realize he's a one-dimensional straight line player and they have no use for him....
    Very true. I just hope someone takes Mays before us and another, more valuable player falls.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Very true. I just hope someone takes Mays before us and another, more valuable player falls.
    he'll be there @29, the Jets pass and people will scream....

what could possibly happen is a team early in round two could try and trade into the late first round to grab him as he starts to tumble....

Do you feel that S is as big of a need as some people are making it or do you feel confident in Pool? I don't think I would mind picking up someone like Reshad Jones or Chad Jones in the 2nd, but do you think it's a position that we definitely need to focus on this draft?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Do you feel that S is as big of a need as some people are making it or do you feel confident in Pool? I don't think I would mind picking up someone like Reshad Jones or Chad Jones in the 2nd, but do you think it's a position that we definitely need to focus on this draft?
    its' definitely a need- the need will be reduced or exagerated by the Jets ability to rush the passer during the season- which is impossible to guage now....

the only way I'd go safety in round one is a trade up for Earl Thomas- the jets at this point have shown zilch interest in Berry...

I agree with your thought process- R Jones or TJ Ward in round two, Morgan Burnett or Major Wright later on (though they are likely 3rd round guys), Kurt Coleman/Oh St (Jets have shown no interest in him at all though) guys later on like Robert Johnson/Utah, Aaron Webster/Cincinnati....

safety has always been a position where you can find quality players in the middle-to-late rounds...