Thread: NHL Draft Pick Value Chart...

NHL Draft Pick Value Chart...

Just in case we have anyone on here that cares about the NHL draft.

I'm not sure how many people are familiar with the NFL draft but some time ago one of the teams (I think it was Dallas) came up with a draft value chart. Although somewhat maligned because it can't take into account the changes in talent from year to year in a draft it has been used a lot by mock drafters and even the real NFL trades over the last few years are in the ball park with the NFL value chart.

I decided to try to make one for the NHL. I based it on the NFL chart but tweaked the actual draft pick values to come in line with actual NHL draft pick for draft pick trades over the last 4 or 5 years. (I would have liked to have data going back further but just can't locate the specifics I need further back than about 2005 or 6.)

The idea behind the chart is it allows you get an idea of what value a particular pick has and what would be a realistic offer to try and obtain that pick. (For example if your team was picking in the middle of the 2nd round and you want to move up to the beginning of the 2nd round to take a player that you like.)

I've got the first draft of the chart along with the actual draft pick trades I based it one and some instructions on a spreadsheet. If any one would like to look at it and give feedback perhaps you can pm me and I'll fire it off via email.

(I intend to have it in the final version of my mock draft creator spreadsheet.)

I'm interested. PM me and I'll give you my email address.