Thread: My old gym is stealing money from me...

My old gym is stealing money from me...

So back in the fall when I was at Cornell, I was a member of a nice off-campus gym. I signed up for a membership plan that would automatically deduct the monthly fee from my checking account until I terminated my membership. Being set to graduate in December and leave town, I figured I'd let them know I would like to terminate my contract after finals were over.

Things were so stressful around finals week that after I was done, I packed up all my stuff and drove right home. Didn't even stay for the graduation ceremony. I called up my gym, spoke to the manager, and told him I'm no longer in town and would like to cancel my membership. He told me that since I did not cancel before December 10th, I'd be on the hook for January's membership fee. Being on the verge of broke, I told him I would very much appreciate it if there was any way he could wave that fee, especially since I'm no longer in town and can't even work out there for the month of January. He was sympathetic and said he would talk to the owner then get back to me.

Never heard from him.

Four months later, I close out my old bank account and opened a new one in anticipation for moving into the city for my new job. I just got a letter in the mail from my old bank saying a $50 payment has been made to my gym from my closed account.

I put two and two together and realize the gym has deducted $200 bucks from my account over the last 4 months despite me asking them close my account.

I called the gym, and the manager is off this weekend but they left a message for him in my name. Do I have any reprieve here?

And yes, I know I should have checked my statements more periodically and carefully. :cool:

You got nada.

[IMG]http://mmoredrama.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/super-cool-story-bro.png[/IMG]

Lesson learned: Don't go to the gym anymore. Did I get it right?

Most gym contracts (check yours) terminate if you move out of the area. Also complain to the local BBB

50 bucks a month? Don't they have Planet Fitness or something similar around?

I pay $15/month for the wife and I.

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;3562718]50 bucks a month? Don't they have Planet Fitness or something similar around?

I pay $15/month for the wife and I.[/QUOTE]

Nah it was just this or the gyms on campus, and the hours were more flexible with this. The place was nice though, real nice. I pay $10 a month now at a dump called Fitness II but it gets the job done.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=acepepe;3562660]Most gym contracts (check yours) terminate if you move out of the area. Also complain to the local BBB[/QUOTE]

exactly....it would help to have the name of the manager and the date of your conversation....if they tell you on the phone they can't do anything tell them you will take it to the next level to retrieve your money...

I filed a complaint against Dell with the BBB for parts they said my computer needed to install a writable CD-rom (years ago) that didn't fit...they wouldn't return my money....

I put the claim in via the internet within three days I had a mailing label to send the parts back and was reimbursed fully within two weeks...

btw- don't you check your bank statements??

All League
    Send them a CERTIFIED LETTER. Otherwise, they will NEVER stop charging you. I waged a Jihad against Ballys over a similar thing a few years ago. Went as far as going to court against them. Never got a dime back from those thieves.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3562759]Send them a CERTIFIED LETTER. Otherwise, they will NEVER stop charging you. I waged a Jihad against Ballys over a similar thing a few years ago. Went as far as going to court against them. Never got a dime back from those thieves.[/QUOTE]

I belonged to numerous gyms over the years (starting with the Little Neck Jack Lalanne on the LIE, iffin anyone remembers that dump) and have found nearly all the owners and staff to be imbeciles, thieves and connivers.

In fact, as an 18 year old, the Jack Lalanne sic'd a collection agency on me because of a stupid clerical error they committed when I signed up on a 2 for 1 deal. I pretty much planted myself in the managers office until he personally took care of it, as I had nothing much to lose by taking a collar at that point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Screw the gym, did you ever go to that steakhouse, John Thomas, i think it was called, in Ithaca?

That was some good stuff.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;3562778]Screw the gym, did you ever go to that steakhouse, John Thomas, i think it was called, in Ithaca?

That was some good stuff.[/QUOTE]

When in Ithaca...

[img]http://ithacabeer.com/images/NB-bottleglass.jpg[/img]

All League
    you must be talking about island fitness because thats the only nice gym in town.

All League
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3562718]50 bucks a month? Don't they have Planet Fitness or something similar around?

I pay $15/month for the wife and I.[/QUOTE]

Actually yes but planet didnt open until December which would be when he was leaving.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

IF your contract does not specify that you have to cancel via certified letter (I know mine does), having phone records showing that you had called to cancel when you said you did would probably be enough evidence for you to win a small-claims suit. Call the gym management and tell them you have phone records and will file tomorrow if they do not reimburse you, and I bet they'll cave pretty quick.

[QUOTE=32green;3562769]I belonged to numerous gyms over the years (starting with the Little Neck Jack Lalanne on the LIE, iffin anyone remembers that dump) and have found nearly all the owners and staff to be imbeciles, thieves and connivers.

In fact, as an 18 year old, the Jack Lalanne sic'd a collection agency on me because of a stupid clerical error they committed when I signed up on a 2 for 1 deal. I pretty much planted myself in the managers office until he personally took care of it, as I had nothing much to lose by taking a collar at that point.[/QUOTE]

I remember a gym in Rosedale Queens I liked a lot. privately owned, sort of like a "boxing/weightlifting" , guys only place and I offered to pay a year up front to get a discount. He said "Come back next week".

They closed the doors on that Monday. I thought what a good guy he was.

Not all are "imbeciles, thieves and connivers" I did find the ONE that wasn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If all else fails, and you need a last resort...

Open a gym across the street, enroll some scrubs, have a dodgeball tournament, challenge your rival, with the winner gets the $228.56 purse. You get your 200 bucks and reward your team with Gatorade and orange wedges.

[QUOTE=jets31;3562846]you must be talking about island fitness because thats the only nice gym in town.[/QUOTE]

That would be the place.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3563134]If all else fails, and you need a last resort...

Open a gym across the street, enroll some scrubs, have a dodgeball tournament, challenge your rival, with the winner gets the $228.56 purse. You get your 200 bucks and reward your team with Gatorade and orange wedges.[/QUOTE]

did you forget to tell him the most important ingredient?? he must have some hot bisexual chicks on his team??

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3563139]did you forget to tell him the most important ingredient?? he must have some hot bisexual chicks on his team??[/QUOTE]

I have an implied perception that bi-sexual chicks are in all senerios.