Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia issues

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I often have trouble sleeping. The number 1 thing that helps me is exercizing my ass off. If you don't have a workout routine start one, a tough one.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pot

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eastern European hotties!

On a serious note....if you smoke or drink alcohol or caffeinated drinks try to avoid them after say 8 pm. See how it works.
    A shower before you go to sleep, or clean sheets may make a difference as well.
    And if all else fails see a doc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a very odd work schedule and it's caused a serious insomnia issue with me over the past couple of years.

I work overnight (2:30am-10:30am) two days a week and work different shifts throughout the week depending on what I'm needed for. But the end result tends to be a few 9a-5p shifts and a 4p-midnight.

I can't fall asleep when I want to and often wake up frequently throught the night when I do finally pass out.

I'll try anything legal. Help please.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me be clear since some misunderstand. I'm recomending a proper diagnosis and treatment by any certified sleep center. Benadryl has been used for sleep UNDER CERTAIN INDICATIONS for many years. When used properly it is very effective, and LEGAL. See my comment on REM sleep. Ambien is very often SAFELY prescribed but not in all cases. Further, no illicit drug use will cure any medical issue, much less help a student trying to pass his grades.

Good luck w/ ur knee as well, 32.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-18-2010 at 02:17 AM.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You awake?

This has worked for me:

Place the alarm clock far away from your bed on full blast and set it to an evangelical radio station (or any station that really pisses you off). Wake up early 9 or 10am, it will suck and you will have to drag your body out of bed but just effing do it. Do not drink any caffeine. Drink a liter of water. Ride your bike to Princeton check out palmer square. Ride back to New Brunswick. Get back to your place at 6 to 7 pm not earlier. Re-hydrate. Eat dinner. Do a shot of liquor. Take a shower. Do another shot. Masturbate. Do another shot. Masturbate again. Take another shower to wash away your guilt, you animal. Set your alarm clock for 7:30 am; place the clock in the same position and on the same station as the night before. Lay in bed with the lights off. Concentrate on the word ďsixĒ, itís shape, how it is spelled and look at it from different angles.

If you are a weed smoker do this only when you first get home right before you eat. If you smoke later itíll just let you contemplate all that sh!t that has probably been keeping you up. Donít swap beer for the shots; itíll make you have to piss in the middle of the night and that may eff things up.

Good luck

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;3563800]You awake?

This has worked for me:

Place the alarm clock far away from your bed on full blast and set it to an evangelical radio station (or any station that really pisses you off). Wake up early 9 or 10am, it will suck and you will have to drag your body out of bed but just effing do it. Do not drink any caffeine. Drink a liter of water. Ride your bike to Princeton check out palmer square. Ride back to New Brunswick. Get back to your place at 6 to 7 pm not earlier. Re-hydrate. Eat dinner. Do a shot of liquor. Take a shower. Do another shot. Masturbate. Do another shot. Masturbate again. Take another shower to wash away your guilt, you animal. Set your alarm clock for 7:30 am; place the clock in the same position and on the same station as the night before. Lay in bed with the lights off. Concentrate on the word ďsixĒ, itís shape, how it is spelled and look at it from different angles.

If you are a weed smoker do this only when you first get home right before you eat. If you smoke later itíll just let you contemplate all that sh!t that has probably been keeping you up. Donít swap beer for the shots; itíll make you have to piss in the middle of the night and that may eff things up.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

+3.5
    :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3563775]Further, no illicit drug use will cure any medical issue...[/QUOTE]

Hence the slogan "Don't do drugs...do OUR drugs instead" :P

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3563642]I have a very odd work schedule and it's caused a serious insomnia issue with me over the past couple of years.

I work overnight (2:30am-10:30am) two days a week and work different shifts throughout the week depending on what I'm needed for. But the end result tends to be a few 9a-5p shifts and a 4p-midnight.

I can't fall asleep when I want to and often wake up frequently throught the night when I do finally pass out.

I'll try anything legal. Help please.[/QUOTE]

Jeez, seriously, try melatonin. Go to CVS or Walgreens and pick some up. It's about the only thing that helps regulate our daughter's horrible sleep habits (she has autism). Take some about an hour or so before you want to hit the bed. You'll thank me within a few days.:yes:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of good options posted here--my 2 cents is to go to a psychiatrist (not a psychologist). Most cases of insomnia are a combination of some environmental stressor(s) and physiological response. These guys are better able to treat this situation via drugs and if needed, psychotherapy.

Also, they're m.d.'s so insurance coverage should not be a problem.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been suffering from insomnia since I was in HS. I am 25 now. Cannabis will help however do not be fooled. It can actually **** you in der schhvinkter and it will become a crutch eventually and leave the condition worse than when you started-trust me i know. I highly recommend excersize intensely and if your too busy or lazy like me take melatonin and cycle it. 3mg should do the trick. Ive been guilty of not taking it lately and will be on JI at 4am PST.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dealing with a bit of insomnia myself. My problem is, I don't hit the hay until I get super tired or wind up falling asleep on the couch and then I wake up at 5:30 or something and crawl back into bed. Oh yeah, I also have sleep apnea, that makes things even more interesting. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Used to have insomnia years ago when I was all stressed and unhappy in a previous job. Took Unisom to get me to sleep, and it worked -- too well. The next morning I was still very groggy from the stuff.

Ever since I changed jobs I never had the sleep problems again and never had to rely on medication, so what you do for a living plays a big part in how well you sleep.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second the former plumber.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;3563800]You awake?

This has worked for me:

[COLOR="Red"]Place the alarm clock far away from your bed on full blast and set it to an evangelical radio station[/COLOR] (or any station that really pisses you off). Wake up early 9 or 10am, it will suck and you will have to drag your body out of bed but just effing do it. Do not drink any caffeine. Drink a liter of water. Ride your bike to Princeton check out palmer square. Ride back to New Brunswick. Get back to your place at 6 to 7 pm not earlier. Re-hydrate. Eat dinner. Do a shot of liquor. Take a shower. Do another shot. Masturbate. Do another shot. Masturbate again. Take another shower to wash away your guilt, you animal. Set your alarm clock for 7:30 am; place the clock in the same position and on the same station as the night before. Lay in bed with the lights off. Concentrate on the word “six”, it’s shape, how it is spelled and look at it from different angles.

If you are a weed smoker do this only when you first get home right before you eat. If you smoke later it’ll just let you contemplate all that sh!t that has probably been keeping you up. Don’t swap beer for the shots; it’ll make you have to piss in the middle of the night and that may eff things up.

Good luck[/QUOTE]
    I did this listening to B.O. without a teleprompter. After 48 minutes of a 60 minute speech and 15 minutes of a gun to my head, I fell asleep.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=acepepe;3564725]I did this listening to B.O. without a teleprompter. After 48 minutes of a 60 minute speech and 15 minutes of a gun to my head, I fell asleep.[/QUOTE]

Won't make you sleepy...quite the opposite. But might force you to be committed...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clss1PI8xsQ[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3563826]Hence the slogan "Don't do drugs...do OUR drugs instead" :P[/QUOTE]

Very valid point, actually.

:P

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=acepepe;3564725]I did this listening to B.O. without a teleprompter. After 48 minutes of a 60 minute speech and 15 minutes of a gun to my head, I fell asleep.[/QUOTE]

My point was he should put the clock radio on a station that pisses him off because that wake him.

Your response was very witty. Did you write for Shecky Greene or Henny Youngman?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetDevil74;3562929]I've been falling asleep past 4 every night for the past week. Is there anything I can do to reset my sleep schedule? Someone help.[/QUOTE]

A powerful sleeping pill I have used in the past was Klonapin. It will no question put you to sleep within half an hour of taking it, but you have to go off of it as soon as possible as it can get very addicting to the point where you feel like you have to take it every night or you wont fall asleep at all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;3565040]My point was he should put the clock radio on a station that pisses him off because that wake him.

Your response was very witty. Did you write for Shecky Greene or Henny Youngman?[/QUOTE]

AHHH UMMMM oooo UMMMM let me uhh me be clear. Now ahh I want you to listen to this , ahh, No. Although, I along with Henny was known as " the king of the one liners, back in the day!:P