Thread: Is there a Hunter-Killer ILB after RD.4 ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a Hunter-Killer ILB after RD.4 ?

The Jet's depth at ILB is almost non existant. There is Cummings and possibly Westerman moving inside but thats about it. Special teams is in dire need of some help, I think we can all agree that we need another ST ace. With only 5 picks its tough to look at depth ay ILB, but Scott and /or Harris could get hurt.
    IMO the 4th, 6th& 7th round and of course Undrafted Free Agents are the source of ILB depth. How about Jamar Chaney in the 4th, or Phillip Dillard in the sixth ?
    Looking for some thoughts and Ideas for ILB ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a Hunter-Killer ILB after RD.4 ?
    of boars?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't Lance Laury an ILB?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That title gave me wood.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Isn't Lance Laury an ILB?

He is. Mostly a ST guy, but can play ILB. Along with Cummings and Westerman (maybe), that's 5 ILBs.
    Outside - Pace, Thomas, Gholston, hopefully a round 1 or 2 guy and maybe Taylor. That's maybe 5 OLBs. 10 total. Don't see a drafted ILB. Maybe a UDFA for the PS but there's no room for more than 10 if that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is one position that seems weak to me this year (one of the people in the know could tell us for sure.)

Jamar Chaney - Mississippi State
    Phillip Dillard - Nebraska
    Travis Goethel - Arizona State
    Vincent Rey - Duke

Just not a lot of ILBS of quality this year. And I totally agree about our lack of depth at ILB. Fowler sucked when he had to go in there last year.

I know this guy gets very little love on here these days but of Brandon Spikes fell far enough would people be opposed to going after him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This is one position that seems weak to me this year (one of the people in the know could tell us for sure.)

Vincent Rey - Duke

Just not a lot of ILBS of quality this year. And I totally agree about our lack of depth at ILB. Fowler sucked when he had to go in there last year.

I know this guy gets very little love on here these days but of Brandon Spikes fell far enough would people be opposed to going after him?
    i would LOVE dillard in the late rounds. very good potential. he had a lot of issues while here at NE (injury, his mother dying which led to a weight issue, etc), but when he was on the field and when he was able to focus on football, he looked great. he really bought into bo's system and thrived in it. plug him into rex's system for 2 years, let him learn from rex, pettine, and sutton (not to mention bart and harris), and he'll be a stud.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the Jets sign Taylor, maybe we could grab Brandon Spikes in the 2nd...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    of boars?
    lol

I got a feeling Mangini lobbied the FO for that clown.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    lol

I got a feeling Mangini lobbied the FO for that clown.
    i have to admit... i was a big fan of his in college (he was simply a better grinder and johnny on the spot type of backer than aj hawk who too often for my taste ran himself out of the play) and wanted the 49ers to draft him. glad they didnt lol

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    i have to admit... i was a big fan of his in college (he was simply a better grinder and johnny on the spot type of backer than aj hawk who too often for my taste ran himself out of the play) and wanted the 49ers to draft him. glad they didnt lol
    College is a slower game and he played with Hawk and Carpenter so he managed to look decent. Outside of Mangold, Ferguson and Leon the '06 draft really was not all that as some people say. Schlegel was a horrible waste of a day 1 pick. It now seems asinine that our FO traded up in the 2nd rd to get a below mediocre backup QB like Kellen Clemens. I know Brad Smith and Eric Smith stepped it up last year but they both have been average at best for most of their careers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are thinking Angerer goes off in the 4th?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Vincent Rey - Duke

Chaney's gonna go earlier than 4th (3rd)...agree with you on Rey, but he's not big....

I'd look in the 7th round area- Joe Pawalek/Baylor, Alex Joseph/Temple, Lee Campbell/Minnesota....Marcus Washington/UGA, 255lbs, is terrific when he's healthy, which he hasn't been for much of the past two years...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    CBNY, do you think Roddrick Muckelroy can be a versatile OLB/ILB in the 3-4 defense?

I'm thinking he might be a good middle round pick for linebacker depth, with a chance to develop into a starter.

I know he has the size for the 3-4, but I'm not sure if he can go inside?
    i think he's best as a 4-3 OLB, preferably on the weak side....was woefully out of position last year when Norton went down with the injury....really underperformed....I loved him coming into the '09 season, (as did scouting services as they gave him a higher grade than kindle prior to the year) but he's struggled....hopefully he ressurects his career...

the Norton kid i mention is one to watch next year if he rebounds healthy...