Thread: Cimini: Another look into the crystal ball

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini: Another look into the crystal ball

Some interesting stuff....Of course who are his "personnel peeps"? If he has any....What he says is primarily what Tannebaum said the other day that Rex and Pettine feel they don't need high DE picks that they feel they can develop DEs..

Another look into the crystal ball

April 17, 2010 9:42 AM

By Rich Cimini

A couple of weeks back, we unveiled the first draft-watch list -- five candidates for the Jets with the 29th pick in the upcoming draft. This is the 2.0 version, and we have some big changes.

Dropped from the list: USC S Taylor Mays, Northwestern DE Corey Wootton and Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant.

Obviously, the acquisition of Santonio Holmes greatly reduces the need for a wide receiver.

Mays probably will be gone by the 29th pick, but as some personnel people around the league pointed out to me, safety isn't a value position in Rex Ryan's defense. The value positions are nose tackle (good ones are hard to find), pass rushers and cornerbacks. Lots of cornerbacks.

At first glance, defensive end would appear to be a need position, but the feeling among my personnel peeps is that Ryan and D.C. Mike Pettine can get by with ordinary talent at end. In a 34 front, the ends are table setters, tying up blockers so others can make the plays.

Obviously, there are always exceptions (the Ravens once drafted some safety named Ed Reed in the first round), but you get the idea. With that, our updated list:

DE Jared Odrick, Penn State, 6-5, 304: I know what you're thinking: "He just said they're not going to draft a defensive end." Well, you're right, but Odrick is a versatile player who can play end in a 34 front and tackle in a 43 front. One GM told me Odrick is one of the safest picks in the draft. Unfortunately for the Jets, he probably won't make it to 29.

OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU, 6-2, 255: Arguably the best pure pass rusher in the draft. Ryan is looking for his new Terrell Suggs, and we all know it isn't going to be Vernon Gholston. The one knock on Hughes is that he's a bit undersized, which could hurt his ability to play the run. The Packers (No. 23) are looking hard at Hughes.

NT Terrence Cody, Alabama, 6-4, 354: Yes, Mt. Cody. He caught a lot of grief at the combine for being so out of shape and so slow, but this dude can play football when he's in proper condition. Nobody -- repeat, nobody -- ran on the Crimson Tide. Cody is rising on draftboards and probably will be chosen at the bottom of Round 1. The Chargers (No. 28) are interested. Kris Jenkins is doing well in his rehab, but he's going to be 31 and never has been the most durable player. Maybe Ryan envisions a Cody-Jenkins tandem in the middle of his D, a la Tony Siragusa-Sam Adams from back in the day.

CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers, 5-11, 196: When the Jets traded for Antonio Cromartie, everybody figured they didn't have to draft a corner in Round 1. While it may be a bit of overkill, take a closer look: The nickel and dime backs are Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman. Clearly, they need another corner. A nickel back can play 50% of the snaps on defense, so there is value there. If the big fellas and the pass rushers are gone, don't be surprised if the Jets grab another corner.

G Mike Iupati, Idaho, 6-5, 331: Just a hunch. The Jets would have to trade up, but we all know Mike Tannenbaum can do that in his sleep.

In off-the-field news: WR David Clowney, who recently returned from a good-will trip to Haiti, is planning to go to Ghana in July to host a football game and visit an orphanage and a hospital. To make the trip possible, he's hosting a fundraising event.

Check it out: On May 18, Clowney and some of his teammates will be at the Applebee's in East Hanover, N.J., taking orders and mingling with the customers. Proceeds will go to Clowney's foundation and its efforts to raise money for the trip. For more information, go to www.davidclowney87.com or call 1-866-958-9991.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...#ixzz0lMuoK7nO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    his personnel peeps are mike tannenbaum and co. they said this at the presser, so it's not new news. that said, i think odrick, hughes and cody are all strong candidates at 29. i can't see them going cb in the first again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    his personnel peeps are mike tannenbaum and co. they said this at the presser, so it's not new news. that said, i think odrick, hughes and cody are all strong candidates at 29. i can't see them going cb in the first again.
    Didn't you hear Tannebaum's comment that when he hired Rex Ozzie Newsome said Rex will be coming to NY with his sign "get me CBs"...Rex can never have enough CBs.

But you could be right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the pick will be either McCourty or Odrick. But a trade up for a guard is a laughable scenario
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04-17-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Didn't you hear Tannebaum's comment that when he hired Rex Ozzie Newsome said Rex will be coming to NY with his sign "get me CBs"...Rex can never have enough CBs.

But you could be right.
    Why do you think that is? So his schemes have time to work?

I know that's the logical explanation, but conventional wisdom would be to strengthen the pass rush, thereby getting to the QB quicker.

Sounds like Rex sees it the other way?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be pleased with Kindle, Hughes, or Cody.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I might be the only one, but I really want no part of Odrick. Safe pick means just that, he'll never be anything special.

Can't really explain it, but he doesn't do it for me at all. He'd be a waste of a pick at 29 IMO.

What makes him better than Lamarr Houston, other than 6'5" vs. 6'3"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I might be the only one, but I really want no part of Odrick. Safe pick means just that, he'll never be anything special.

Can't really explain it, but he doesn't do it for me at all. He'd be a waste of a pick at 29 IMO.

What makes him better than Lamarr Houston, other than 6'5" vs. 6'3"?
    This is kinda how I feel.

If we take him at 29, it'll be an underwhelming pick IMO. If we move up for him, I'll be pissed.

I'd rather go pass rusher/safety at 29 and take Alualu/Houston/Jones/Carrington at 61.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would pull hard for Cody...Him and Jenks in the middle would be unstopable

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odrick will be a JAG if hes lucky.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Why do you think that is? So his schemes have time to work?

I know that's the logical explanation, but conventional wisdom would be to strengthen the pass rush, thereby getting to the QB quicker.

Sounds like Rex sees it the other way?
    Hughes, McCourty, Cody, Wilson, Robinson

Honorable mention: Linval Joseph
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 04-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with Hughes. He is the best passrusher in the draft. Then either take a CB or OL in round two, and Austen Lane in rd 4.