Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Buyer Beware: The 10 riskiest 2010 draft picks

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Buyer Beware: The 10 riskiest 2010 draft picks

    Buyer Beware: The 10 riskiest 2010 draft picks
    By Doug Farrar

    When we talk about "risk" in the draft, what do we mean? If a team takes a flyer on a guy in the middle-to-late rounds - a spread-offense quarterback with little chance to make the pro transition, a receiver with demon speed and little else, a tackle on either side of the ball with great athleticism and iffy fundamentals, or a player at any position who's already been coached to his ceiling - well, the risk is negligible. Teams are playing dice with the universe after the first couple of rounds, and they know it. It's the picks early on that can come back and haunt a franchise for years if they're made without the proper scouting and background work. Here are 10 players with first- and second-round grades who also possess major risk factors that could make them either bargains or busts.

    QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame: Of course, the big positive with Clausen is that he's pro-ready; his work with Charlie Weis presented him with the ability to get a head start on the intricacies of the pro game. He won't have to adjust too heavily when it comes to the verbiage of NFL play calls, and he's far more comfortable under center than any other highly-regarded quarterback in this class. However, the increase in the number of spread offenses over the last five years sometimes has NFL personnel men overrating the effects of pro-readiness, and not looking closely enough at the pure physical tools that certain coaching tactics may inflate beyond actual potential. Clausen still has many questions to answer at the next level, especially if a team overdrafts him hoping for a quick solution.

    QB Tim Tebow, Florida: It's not the mechanics we're talking about here - it's common knowledge that Tebow will require at least a year of development before he's ready to remotely resemble an NFL quarterback. But that's the problem. If Tebow doesn't go to an NFL team with an established starting quarterback, every mistake made by the QBs in front of him will be amplified by a super-fawning media beyond anxious for him to get on the field so more quick stories can be written. Through no fault of his own, Tebow has the potential to rip a team apart.

    RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech: On the surface, Dwyer seems like a dream for any team looking to add a power back to its roster - he accounted for identical 1,395-yard rushing seasons in 2008 and 2009, bulling his way through opposing lines at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds. But when you look closer, there are concerns about Dwyer's ability to gain consistent yardage away from Paul Johnson's triple-option, not to mention his slow 40 times. Dwyer might be able to transcend schematic concerns, but those concerns are legitimate.

    TE Jimmy Graham, Miami: From Tony Gonzalez(notes) to Antonio Gates(notes), NFL teams have looked to the basketball court to find tight ends. Gates has been San Diego's main playmaker for years despite the fact that he played no college football - his ridiculous athleticism and great potential for the pro game had teams falling all over him in private workouts. Graham shares a similar set of skills - he played mostly basketball for the Hurricanes, with just one season of football at the collegiate level. Still, his 4.5 speed at 6-foot-6 and 260 pounds will have teams looking to take him early in the second day. Living up to Gates and Gonzalez with minimal experience will be a challenge.

    WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State: It's not about the 10-game suspension in 2009 - Bryant was unwise to lie about his friendship with Deon Sanders, but the hypocrisy of an organization that keeps its players under ridiculous financial constraints while raking in ungodly cash is a larger issue. Still, with all his talent, Bryant has been taken off several draft boards altogether because of maturity and work ethic questions. Risky stuff for a kid who could still go in the top 15.

    OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland: Campbell might be the biggest workout warrior in this year's draft class; he's gone to the Raiders with the eighth overall pick in so many mock drafts, the joke isn't even funny anymore. As chiseled as any defensive end, Campbell has only 17 starts to fall back on at the college level, and the raw technique bleeds all over his game tape. He's got a lot of work to do before he's NFL-ready; the question is whether he'll put in the work and move past being just another big, fast guy.

    DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida: Pierre-Paul's high draft stock is based entirely on the amazing speed off the snap that allows him to flash great potential as a pass-rusher. But with only one season out of the junior college ranks, Pierre-Paul's weak points are still glaringly obvious. He's a straight-ahead dasher only, still confused on most stunts, and he can be easily washed out against the run. Pierre-Paul may be the next Jevon Kearse(notes), but he's probably got more work to do to get there than most people think.

    DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida: At 6-foot-6 and 280 pounds, and able to run a legit sub-4.7 40, Dunlap has the physical tools to dominate at any level. However, his tendency to rely too much on that size and not enough on technique may leave him ill-qualified to deal with NFL tackles who will be far less impressed with Dunlap's ability to lunge around a bad block. His DUI arrest four days before the SEC title game begs additional pause, and a harder look at the entire package.

    DB Patrick Robinson, Florida State: Robinson's game tape can be maddening. One play will show him running with any receiver, utilizing his man-on-man speed to shut things down. Then, another will see him bail out of a zone, or slip a tackle. If he can develop consistency, Robinson can become a Pro Bowl defender. As it stands right now, he'll give his coaches an equal amount of agita for every bit of praise.

    S Taylor Mays, USC: Another athletic wonder. It's not often you see a guy who can run 40s before 4-3 at 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds. The problem with Mays is those skills are often used in disorganized fashion. For all his straight-line speed, Mays struggles with coverage concepts. He's good in center field or close to the line, but the fifteen yards in between will decide his effectiveness at the next level.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,234844

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    jpp, jimmy graham and taylor mays are risks i'd want to take

    top 10 measurables at less than half the price

    even if it doesn't work out you gotta have premium athletes to win in the league...

    alot of the league's best players were very raw at first.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... piere-paul isn't supposed to last until us right? ... what about dunlap? ... mays might be the only risky one on this list still on the board when we pick who is also at a position we may be interested in ...







    l_j_r

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ljr@work View Post
    ... piere-paul isn't supposed to last until us right? ... what about dunlap? ... mays might be the only risky one on this list still on the board when we pick who is also at a position we may be interested in ...


    l_j_r

    highly unlikely JPP is there

    and yes dunlap probably makes it... but I wouldn't touch him... there was a time, i'd say he's great value at 29 but its just too risky with him. besides his motor he just looks like a 4-3 player, thin lower body.

    Taylor Mays I'd take in a heartbeat at 29, he's a head hunter and Rex loves those guys.

    Patrick Robinson is another name in this article, im not saying he's ideal but a fast Florida state cornerback is usually a decent bet.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    jpp, jimmy graham and taylor mays are risks i'd want to take .


    Jimmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ljr@work View Post
    ... piere-paul isn't supposed to last until us right? ... what about dunlap? ... mays might be the only risky one on this list still on the board when we pick who is also at a position we may be interested in ...







    l_j_r

    What I just read above about Dunlap sounds similar to how Gholsten is perceived. Ouch.
    As far as safety - Philly is looking for one. Let them take Mays. Sorry bitonti. DE, OLB

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... thx guys ...




    l_j_r

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State: It's not about the 10-game suspension in 2009 - Bryant was unwise to lie about his friendship with Deon Sanders, but the hypocrisy of an organization that keeps its players under ridiculous financial constraints while raking in ungodly cash is a larger issue. Still, with all his talent, Bryant has been taken off several draft boards altogether because of maturity and work ethic questions. Risky stuff for a kid who could still go in the top 15.
    This just seems stupid to me to say. Off their board, all together? So that means they wouldn't even touch him in the 6th round?

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taylor Mays at #29 isn't my personal favorite move, but its wouldn't be a reach, it would be a steal. He has awesome physical tools, he DOES have experience in a Pro-Style Defense under Pete Carroll, he played at a big program, he is a BIG HITTER, and he has great recovery speed.

    He is a guy that COULD, imo, be "coached up" to his potential by a good staff and on the Jets, he would be a great developmental player to learn behind his polar opposite - Jim Leonard. A guy with limited physical skills but great instinct/knowledge for the position.

    I would approve the Jets taking a "chance" on a guy like Mays, a guy who was a potential Top-10 pick at one time and slides back to #29. This isn't a "Gholston Reach", its a great risk to take. Plus, the kid will be at the same time Pissed AND Humbled by sliding to 29 and will want to go out and kill it.

    I'd rather the Jets "reach" for a guy like Hughes, but Mays at #29 would be a fantastic Value.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a pretty good list in my opinion. High risk high reward.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton Fl.
    Posts
    2,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    That's a pretty good list in my opinion. High risk high reward.
    Even a wiff would not be a major set back with the talent on this team. Only set-back would be in the eyes of fans. Just look at the last few drafts. Sanchez a +1, Revis +1, Brick/Mangold +1 Gholsten a negative but can you realy say it set the franchise back, not in my opinion just a wiff.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    This just seems stupid to me to say. Off their board, all together? So that means they wouldn't even touch him in the 6th round?
    The only way to tell draft news is to sensationalize it.

    "OH NO! D. Thomas broke his leg...how sad because teams in the top 15 were thinking about him!"

    "How dare Dez Bryant talk to Sanders and then forget his cleats! He's no longer a top player!"

    "Hey, d'you guys know that Linval Joseph is actually a top 30 player? No bs!"

    "OMG did you guys know Terrence Cody is FAT?!? Have you seen his topless shots!?!? There's a super bust! Most NTs came into the league with near perfect Adonis-esque physiques!"

    "OMG have you see that kid from South Florida do backflips? What an athlete! Top 10 pick!"
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-17-2010 at 02:05 PM.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    The only way to tell draft news is to sensationalize it.

    "OH NO! D. Thomas broke his leg...how sad because teams in the top 15 were thinking about him!"

    "How dare Dez Bryant talk to Sanders and then forget his cleats! He's no longer a top player!"

    "Hey, d'you guys know that Linval Joseph is actually a top 30 player? No bs!"

    "OMG did you guys know Terrence Cody is FAT?!? Have you seen his topless shots!?!? There's a super bust! Most NTs came into the league with near perfect Adonis-esque physiques!"

    "OMG have you see that kid from South Florida do backflips? What an athlete! Top 10 pick!"

    Why are you so angry all the time? Why is NOBODY allowed to disagree with your opinion? Seriously, whats your problem, oh great and knowledgable Football Expert of the Universe?

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Why are you so angry all the time? Why is NOBODY allowed to disagree with your opinion? Seriously, whats your problem, oh great and knowledgable Football Expert of the Universe?
    I'm angry? I was just interpreting this draft offseason with a few of his headlines. I thought Ham's reply was funny as hell when I saw it, it's just a part of the draft process. That said Ham, it's still possible.

    But yea...I'm not even that smart...let alone a great and knowledgeable Football Expert of the Universe.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-18-2010 at 01:05 AM.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Taylor Mays at #29 isn't my personal favorite move, but its wouldn't be a reach, it would be a steal. He has awesome physical tools, he DOES have experience in a Pro-Style Defense under Pete Carroll, he played at a big program, he is a BIG HITTER, and he has great recovery speed.

    He is a guy that COULD, imo, be "coached up" to his potential by a good staff and on the Jets, he would be a great developmental player to learn behind his polar opposite - Jim Leonard. A guy with limited physical skills but great instinct/knowledge for the position.

    I would approve the Jets taking a "chance" on a guy like Mays, a guy who was a potential Top-10 pick at one time and slides back to #29. This isn't a "Gholston Reach", its a great risk to take. Plus, the kid will be at the same time Pissed AND Humbled by sliding to 29 and will want to go out and kill it.

    I'd rather the Jets "reach" for a guy like Hughes, but Mays at #29 would be a fantastic Value.
    Here's the problem with that line of thinking-- Mays just got done spending time with by far the best coaching staff in college football, and he wasn't able to fix his problems. So I see no reason to assume that Ryan is going to fix anything regarding Mays. He could utilize him in a scheme in a way that limits his liabilities, much like Dallas had to do for a long time with Roy Williams, but I wouldn't expect Mays to develop into a guy who can actually cover anyone at the NFL level.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex dealt rhodes b/c he wasn't a complete safety. he's not drafting another safety with obvious weaknesses. his defensive schemes are predicated on versatility.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us