Thread: O Lineman.

O Lineman.

This is an area that needs to be addressed. What is the value of the lineman this year in the later rounds. Is it a deep class where we can pluck a lineman or two later in the draft????

I think the Jets depth is absolutely fine for the OL. Are there any eventual starters, definately not, but they are good enough to step in for a game here and there. I know Feneca and Woody prob wont be around in the near future, but they can be addressed next offseason.

The only way I want the OL addressed more is if the Jets decide to take a late round flyer on a blocking TE with the upside to transition to RT in the future.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    This is an area that needs to be addressed. What is the value of the lineman this year in the later rounds. Is it a deep class where we can pluck a lineman or two later in the draft????
    No, you are right the quicker we get someone into the fold the better....

The Jets have 11 or 12 OLmen currently on the roster. 8 will lmake the 53, probably the same 8 as last year. They will carry at least one on the PS.
    The Jets do not have a good track record of drafting OL after round 3.

As far as tight ends. No tight end in the league or college is big enough to transition to play RT down the road. A smaller college tackle (270) "might" be able to play TE not the opposite as a general rule.

I still would love to see Pouncey as our 1st rd pick for depth now and as a starter next year and beyond, but I think he will be long gone by our pick.

I hope Callahan knows something extra about slauson since he coached him in college, and maybe he can be a starter after this year, but Iworry about center more then anything....Mangold is one of our most irreplaceable players along with Revis and Sanchez.

Jon Asomah from illinois is a very solid guard who definitely has talent and has probably been pushed down further he normally would given the talen in this draft.

Id like to see the Jets look at Matt Tennant in the late 5-6th round area. On the smaller side which is ok in our zone-style blocking. Hes been a starting center in college on a good line for 3 years, and BC has a very good track record with centers making it in the NFL.