Thread: 2nd round pick - Morgan Burnett S?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

2nd round pick - Morgan Burnett S?

If we go DL or LB in the 1st round, there's a pretty good chance the Jets will be looking at the secondary with the 2nd pick. There ought to be a few CBs to pick through there, but what about this kid from Ga Tech at Safety?

Morgan Burnett - 6'1" 210 lbs., 4.42 speed, great hands.

I've never seen him play, but apparently he was a breakout player in 2008 and regressed a bit last year but still looks like a really solid candidate who can play either Safety position. Looks to be very athletic and not afraid to tackle, although he needs some coaching in that area. 11 INTs in two years doesn't hurt either.

I did a bit of looking around and he appears to be considered a low 2nd, early 3rd rounder, and probably the 4th or 5th safety in the rankings. Personally, I think I like him more than Mays as a really good replacement for Kerry Rhodes, the way Rhodes used to play.

Anyone have some thoughts on him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like him... both safeties from the Georgia schools (Reshad Jones) are high on my list for 61.

He's a well balanced FS with good range and supports the run well. He did get beat deep a couple times last year and despite his INT total, his ball skills could use some work.

But he's big, fast and strong and seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. A good CF type of FS and a nice fit here IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check the sig.

Love Burnett, I think he'll end up being a top-3 safety from this draft. Does everything well and fits the CF safety role well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post
    Check the sig.

Love Burnett, I think he'll end up being a top-3 safety from this draft. Does everything well and fits the CF safety role well.
    I love your first two picks dude. But I would either draft Vince later or use that 4rd on Austin Lane.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2nd best safety in this draft after Berry IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i heard he was a poor tackler. no.

Chad Jones instead for me, or nate allen

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

His technique needs improvement from what I read. He gets there and gives it his all, but doesn't wrap up. Seems to me that's a fixable problem and if that's the worst anyone can say about him, I'm in for a 2nd rounder.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he'd be outstanding value at 2.29

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    he'd be outstanding value at 2.29
    definitely a good prospect- needs a bit of time but his best football is ahead of him...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I like him... both safeties from the Georgia schools (Reshad Jones) are high on my list for 61.

He's a well balanced FS with good range and supports the run well. He did get beat deep a couple times last year and despite his INT total, his ball skills could use some work.

But he's big, fast and strong and seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. A good CF type of FS and a nice fit here IMO.
    Same Here i like Reshad Jones a hitter with plenty of athletic ability to play both safety spots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like burnett a lot, especially over chad jones....i think nate allen will go in top of 2nd round.

What do you guys think about Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, guy has a ton of physical skills, size to play safety, speed to play cb and be a kick returner.

Seems like a ton of upside and should be there at 61 without us having to move up at all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    His technique needs improvement from what I read. He gets there and gives it his all, but doesn't wrap up. Seems to me that's a fixable problem and if that's the worst anyone can say about him, I'm in for a 2nd rounder.
    that, and he's still far better at tackling (technique, wrapping up and hitting power) than Earl Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Also a better tackler than Allen... and much better athlete than Jones or Allen. He's on par with Berry and Thomas as all-around athletes.
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 04-18-2010 at 12:02 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like him alot for round 2......Also, Chad Jones would be my top choice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjpt-eJTmsU

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    His workout results:

NFLDraftScout.com has received Georgia Tech's official pro day results, which weren't posted by NFL.com, and Burnett turned a 3.92-second shuttle run, which was the fastest among all prospects recorded at pro days across the country. Burnett also posted a 4.44-second 40-yard dash that was discounted because he rolled at the start.
    Safety Morgan Burnett started the day with a 40-inch vertical jump and 11-foot broad jump.

Safety Morgan Burnett clocked his 40 times in the mid 4.4 second range, with some timing Burnett as fast as 4.42-seconds.
    One other thing I neglected to mention... he might very well have the best hands of any DB in this draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really productive player...would be a nice player to have in this D. I agree that he'll be one of the best safeties from this draft...really like him and Nate Allen as far as guy who'll go in the first two rounds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stats:
    2007 (FR): 57 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1 fumble rec, 1 sack, 2.5 TFL, 7 passes broken up
    2008 (SO): 93 tackles, 7 interceptions, 1 TD, 1 fumble forced, 7 TFL, 8 passes broken up
    2009 (JR): 85 tackles, 4 interceptions, 1 fumble forced, 4 TFL, 4 passes broken up, 1 punt blocked

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would love for this guy to be on the jets..... but i dont thimk he will be there at pick 61. major wright and tj ward are two other free safeties the jets might take a look at.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe resler View Post
    i would love for this guy to be on the jets..... but i dont thimk he will be there at pick 61.
    Agreed. He'll go as high as the late 1st and as low as the late 2nd but unlikely to reach 61. I'll personally feel lucky if he even lasts to #49.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't seen him 1st round anywhere yet but there are always surprise climbers.

I've seen him anywhere from 55 to mid-3rd round with more mocks than not having him as an early 3rd rounder. Not saying mocks can predict what will happen, but with 2-3 other safeties of comparible talent out there, I like his chances to fall to us or at least close enough to go get without paying a ransom.

Maybe this is just my 'Ham' moment where I'm getting laser-focused on a prospect but this just looks like a perfect blend of talent, need and opportunity.
    Last edited by nycdan; 04-18-2010 at 03:52 PM.