Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miami Herald: Big trade puts Miami Dolphins on equal footing with Jets

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Miami Herald: Big trade puts Miami Dolphins on equal footing with Jets

[url]http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1580021/big-trade-puts-dolphins-on-equal.html[/url]

Big trade puts Miami Dolphins on equal footing with Jets

By ARMANDO SALGUERO
    [email]asalguero@MiamiHerald.com[/email]
    This changes everything.

We went to bed Tuesday night praying the Dolphins could somehow find a playmaker in the coming draft and awoke Wednesday morning with Brandon Marshall on the roster, proving that Christmas morning also can come in April.

We went to bed wondering if the Dolphins would ever make a bold move that could keep them from fading further in the New York Jets' rearview mirror and awoke racing wheel to wheel with Firemen Fred or Ed or whatever his name is.

The Jets were adding big name after big name the past few weeks while the Dolphins sat frustratingly quiet. But this move changes our outlook.

[B]New York, who's your daddy now?[/B]:steamin:

Instead of going into next season's games against Rex Ryan's
    defense wondering if anyone can get open against Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, the question shifts.

Can either of those guys cover Marshall?

In 2007, when Cromartie was the best cornerback in the NFL, Marshall caught 13 passes in two games against him and the San Diego Chargers. Marshall caught 18 passes for 166 yards against Cromartie and the Chargers in one 2008 game.

[B]The Jets now must worry about more than just Miami's Wildcat offense that they discredit so readily but actually copied during their playoff run. The Jets and everyone else now have to worry about the Dolphins throwing the football.[/B]
    And completing the passes.

``Brandon Marshall to the Dolphins, huh,'' Revis wrote on his Twitter account. ``That's a good look for them.''

It's a good look because, praise be, the Dolphins finally have a No. 1 wide receiver and they can join the rest of the NFL in the 21st century!

This move updates the Dolphins and promises excitement.

CHANGE OF HEART

Bill Parcells has seemingly abandoned the old Giants template for winning a championship. He obviously recognizes you cannot win with just a good running game and good defense unless you have Lawrence Taylor, too, and the Dolphins have been lacking an LT and shown little alacrity for re-signing JT.

So being able to score points is the next best thing and the Dolphins should do more of that with a wide receiver corps that everyone must respect. For the first time since he has been Miami's coach, Tony Sparano now can say he likes Miami's receivers and we can actually believe him.

This trade, expensive in dollars and draft picks, also changes how we view the Dolphins off the field.

When Parcells arrived, he promised no ``problem children.''

The arrests of three Miami players -- Tony McDaniel, Will Allen and Ronnie Brown -- since January, and the signing of enigmatic guard Richie Incognito tested the limits of that promise.

It gets totally dismissed as lip service now that Marshall is on board.

Forget that Marshall was unhappy in Denver because of his contract. He has a new $50 million deal, and that should make him quite the good soldier in the locker room and on the practice field.

But one cannot dismiss the eight domestic violence incidents he has been involved in dating to 2006 and occurring as recently as May 2009. Those are troubling issues one hopes Marshall will not repeat in South Florida.

Regardless of how it plays out, the Dolphins, known for making relatively safe, logical moves, have climbed out on a limb. The risks are greater out there, but the rewards also are grander.

OTHER NEEDS

This move suggests the Dolphins now can go into next week's draft with an eye on defense. Defense is where I thought they were headed in the first round anyway, because at this moment, Miami lacks a starting free safety and starting outside linebacker.

But what if the Dolphins want to become truly radical? What if they pick Dez Bryant if he's available, or select electric running back C.J. Spiller?

Neither fits Miami's prototype. It would be the unexpected, unconventional thing for the Dolphins to do. But so was trading for and signing Brandon Marshall.

That move changed everything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drug abuse is a very bad thing. I think the Miami Herald needs to consider testing its writers. This one is obviously in some sort of hallucinogenic stupor.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how exactly does Marshall put the Dolphins on equal footing with the Jets? They now have a grand total of two offesnive playmakers -- Brown and Marshall, neither of whom has breakaway speed -- compared to the Jets' Holmes, Edwards, Keller, Cotchery, Leon, Greene, Smith, etc. And is the author implying that our defenses are on equal footing? This is seriously a joke.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, let them pump their chests. It'll be great when we smack them around twice next year like they rightfully deserve.

ps: How does Marshall's stats against Cromartie matter when he'll be matched up against Revis?

pss: We've been doing that "Wildcat" stuff since 2006. They might want to check their facts before claiming we copied them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

err well Armando, actually the answer is yes, both can...

how come the Dolphins get pom pom waving beat writers like Armando and we get Dick "Wad" Cimini?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also tempted to write the author and ask him what his basis is for claiming the Jets' copied the Wildcat last season. The Jets have been running that formation since before Parcells arrived in Miami with Leon Johnson and Brad Smith, it's just never had to be our entire offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uh huh, Jets have added elite talent in Cromartie and Holmes, a player in LT who could be rejuvenated and in a part-time role could still play at a high level, and will add a dimension that Thomas Jones just couldn't give us, also a potential HOF'er who is HUNGRY for a championship, a very solid player in Pool to sure up an already talented defense.

Right, Jets have made many good moves to add to the talent of their roster, phins add one offensive player, and they are now on equal footing.

The Dolphin beat reporters are even bigger homers than their myopic and retarded fan base.

Marshall was a good pick-up, but they have NOTHING next to him to help him out, the Jets have 3 WR's who you could make a case that each one is a #1 guy. Their 4th WR is a play maker who can run the wildcat as a QB, run the ball as a RB, and can catch the ball.

The Phins are a mess on defense, their LB's stink, the addition of Dansby doesn't change that. Their NT is suspended for the first 8 games, there safeties are awful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;3563498]I'm also tempted to write the author and ask him what his basis is for claiming the Jets' copied the Wildcat last season. The Jets have been running that formation since before Parcells arrived in Miami with Leon Johnson and Brad Smith, it's just never had to be our entire offense.[/QUOTE]

Who is this Leon Johnson you speak of?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The dolphags were 7-9 last year and they beat us twice. Let's say Henne improves and him and sanchez cancel out or so. The wildcat was ineffective for the most part last year. It did surprise us in the first game though. Who knows if Ronnie Brown will stay healthy and there's no way their defense is comparable to ours. While Marshall is easier better than Holmes and Edwards it would be difficult to argue that Hartline, Marshall, Bess and Fasano is better than Cotch, Edwards, Holmes, and Keller. Our o-line is simply better and they definitely can beat us one time this year.
    This article is completely biased, but the best way to think of it is this. If our rivals are making articles about how they are on the same level as us, then you know they fear us. Going into the season, its clear to all our competitors we are the top dog

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3563497]Can either of those guys cover Marshall?

how come the Dolphins get pom pom waving beat writers like Armando and we get Dick "Wad" Cimini?[/QUOTE]

Dude welcome to my world and then people want to know why Dolphag fans are the least knowledgeable fans in sports.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite line: [I]But this move changes [B]our[/B] outlook.[/I]

Is the Herald now some fan site like Fin Heaven?

So much NY envy in Miami.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3563497]Can either of those guys cover Marshall?

[b]how come the Dolphins get pom pom waving beat writers like Armando and we get Dick "Wad" Cimini?[/b][/QUOTE]

LMAO, so true, I was just saying the same, all of them are the same way down there, they're all pathetic homers.

They were hating life when the Jets picked up Holmes.

They have one clown down there, David Hyde, when the Jets picked up Holmes, this clown the next day goes on a rant about what the Jets are doing is wrong, that it reeks of desperation, that the proven model is to use the draft, stay away from character players, do not spend draft picks, do not give big bucks to low characters, don't take risks. The very next day the phins draft Marshall and is forced to eat his own shoe, it was hilarious.

The moron, still managed to backpeddal and put a rosy spin on it for the phins.

They are effing CLOWNS down there, the entire fan base is the same way, every last one of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;3563488][url]http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1580021/big-trade-puts-dolphins-on-equal.html[/url]

Big trade puts Miami Dolphins on equal footing with Jets

By ARMANDO SALGUERO
    [email]asalguero@MiamiHerald.com[/email]
    This changes everything.

We went to bed Tuesday night praying the Dolphins could somehow find a playmaker in the coming draft and awoke Wednesday morning with Brandon Marshall on the roster, proving that Christmas morning also can come in April.

We went to bed wondering if the Dolphins would ever make a bold move that could keep them from fading further in the New York Jets' rearview mirror and awoke racing wheel to wheel with Firemen Fred or Ed or whatever his name is.

The Jets were adding big name after big name the past few weeks while the Dolphins sat frustratingly quiet. But this move changes our outlook.

[B]New York, who's your daddy now?[/B]:steamin:

Instead of going into next season's games against Rex Ryan's
    defense wondering if anyone can get open against Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, the question shifts.

In 2007, when Cromartie was the best cornerback in the NFL, Marshall caught 13 passes in two games against him and the San Diego Chargers. Marshall caught 18 passes for 166 yards against Cromartie and the Chargers in one 2008 game.

[B]The Jets now must worry about more than just Miami's Wildcat offense that they discredit so readily but actually copied during their playoff run. The Jets and everyone else now have to worry about the Dolphins throwing the football.[/B]
    And completing the passes.

``Brandon Marshall to the Dolphins, huh,'' Revis wrote on his Twitter account. ``That's a good look for them.''

It's a good look because, praise be, the Dolphins finally have a No. 1 wide receiver and they can join the rest of the NFL in the 21st century!

This move updates the Dolphins and promises excitement.

CHANGE OF HEART

Bill Parcells has seemingly abandoned the old Giants template for winning a championship. He obviously recognizes you cannot win with just a good running game and good defense unless you have Lawrence Taylor, too, and the Dolphins have been lacking an LT and shown little alacrity for re-signing JT.

So being able to score points is the next best thing and the Dolphins should do more of that with a wide receiver corps that everyone must respect. For the first time since he has been Miami's coach, Tony Sparano now can say he likes Miami's receivers and we can actually believe him.

This trade, expensive in dollars and draft picks, also changes how we view the Dolphins off the field.

When Parcells arrived, he promised no ``problem children.''

The arrests of three Miami players -- Tony McDaniel, Will Allen and Ronnie Brown -- since January, and the signing of enigmatic guard Richie Incognito tested the limits of that promise.

It gets totally dismissed as lip service now that Marshall is on board.

Forget that Marshall was unhappy in Denver because of his contract. He has a new $50 million deal, and that should make him quite the good soldier in the locker room and on the practice field.

But one cannot dismiss the eight domestic violence incidents he has been involved in dating to 2006 and occurring as recently as May 2009. Those are troubling issues one hopes Marshall will not repeat in South Florida.

Regardless of how it plays out, the Dolphins, known for making relatively safe, logical moves, have climbed out on a limb. The risks are greater out there, but the rewards also are grander.

OTHER NEEDS

This move suggests the Dolphins now can go into next week's draft with an eye on defense. Defense is where I thought they were headed in the first round anyway, because at this moment, Miami lacks a starting free safety and starting outside linebacker.

But what if the Dolphins want to become truly radical? What if they pick Dez Bryant if he's available, or select electric running back C.J. Spiller?

Neither fits Miami's prototype. It would be the unexpected, unconventional thing for the Dolphins to do. But so was trading for and signing Brandon Marshall.

That move changed everything.[/QUOTE]

typical Miami Blowhard bragging about the Blowfish! Who cares? We are a stronger team. We are a deeper team. I get tired of all the blowhards bragging about their team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3563500]Who is this Leon Johnson you speak of?[/QUOTE]

Played with the Jets from 97-2000. He was a Parcells draft pick and is the one who threw the famous half-back option pass that was picked off in the end zone and cost the jets a playoff game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahahaha, that's funny.

Cromartie, LT, and Holmes > Brandon Marshall.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYRAGE;3563504]My favorite line: [I]But this move changes [B]our[/B] outlook.[/I]

Is the Herald now some fan site like Fin Heaven?

So much NY envy in Miami.[/QUOTE]

You have no idea. They seriously talk about the Jets as much as they do about their own team down here, and all of the Dolphins beat-writers are the team's biggest fans. They love giving the idiots down here arguments for criticizing the Jets, like the whole copying the Wildcat thing, regardless of how baseless it is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;3563508]Played with the Jets from 97-2000. He was a Parcells draft pick and is the one who threw the famous half-back option pass that was picked off in the end zone and cost the jets a playoff game.[/QUOTE]

Ah I thought you were talking about Leon now when it was him and Brad Smith doing the wild cat lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its Armando Salguero, thats all you need to know. Anyone that lives or has lived in South Florida knows this guys is a joke, Im not hating, he really is a joke. Ask the guy to give you some in game breakdown, or position analysis, or anything related to the game that is not pom pom waving. The guy is a joke, for the Miami Herald, probably the worst sports writers. Makes sense since its probably one of the worst sports cities. I lived there for 15 or so years. People in Miami dont even read the sports page, a lot of my fin fan friends find out about Dolphin breaking news from me, most of the stuff is reported here in JI first. That city is a joke when it comes to sports and fans, bandwagon nation and really low sports IQ.
    There are teenage bloggers out there than can write better than him or Pope or whoever is a sports writer for the great publication known as the Miami Herald.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were using the wild cat formation with direct snaps to Leon when Chad was still our QB, they started using it when they got Chad. You would think a sports writer from the Herald would research that, you can clink of Miami/Jets highlights on youtube, its not that hard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    for anyone wasting any breath on this guy, here is some feedback on his from the dolphins very own forum (all from one thread):

[QUOTE]Salguero is usually more often wrong, than he is right. Remember Mando's blog about how the Dolphins "had ZERO interest in Jake Long?" Brilliant.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]As I posted yesterday. Armando is a moron. He is perhaps the worst beat writer I have ever read. He is the sole reason I stopped downloading the Dolphins On The Run podcast. I might read the Herald again if they fire him.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]LOL at the thread title although I suspect you might be exagerating by a few hundred incidents.

Do you realize that an anagram for "armando" is "drama on" ?? Fitting.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE] anagram.........Yes
    acronym..........Profound

I probably shouldn't mention what his first and last initials spell out..........but I will.............if only his middle initial is S .........oh the irony

The orifice from which "stuff" spews forth.

Hurry ...............flush then spray
    [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Armando shouldnt even have a job he is that big of a dumb ***!!!! He is a ****ty reporter. Almost always wrong. Doesnt have a clue what is going on. I'm not sure the guy even knows anything about football. And the funny thing is he THINKS hes sweet. and what is with that stupid ****ing glamour shots picture he posts on every article so damn big?? what a ****ing clown!![/QUOTE]

they also had this, which was funny...

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/5o9wk3.jpg[/IMG]