Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

Thread: Jets Won't Take Mays Per Jay Feely

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    CMart,

    I live in so cal and listen to the petros and money show. P used to play for SC and had Dennis Thurman on when he was in town to see SCs Mays at his pro day. Thurman did give praise to his explosiveness yet pulled a "no comment" when P asked about his coverage skills.

    Basically, Thurman had concerns about his hips, stifness and coverage skills.
    Thanks for the explanation.

  2. #22
    Do people really think that a kicker (And a Former Kicker at that, not someone who has been in the locker room anytime in the past 3 months), has any real access to inside information? Teams keep their draft strategy on a need to know basis, you really think that Feely would be able to get his hands on their scoops? Hell no.

    He's just giving his opinion. That's all.

    Now with that said, I don't see Mays to the Jets as a particuarly likely match. I can't envision the Jets drafting such a coverage liability simply because he hits hard. We already have Eric Smith for that. We need a coverage guy who can create some turnovers. In fact, I'd venture to guess that Nate Allen is well above Taylor Mays on the Jets draft board.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Never thought we would take Mays.. I think people are underestimating Brodney Pool.

    Cimini had a article that said people with knowledge of the way Rex runs his personell does not value safeties that high, Ed Reed was the exception. It said Rex can never have enough CBs and pass rushers, NT is also a value position for Rex.
    Rex drafted 2 safeties in the 2008 draft (Tom Zbikowski and Haruki Nakamura)...I'm sure he values them more than the omnipotent Cimini realizes.

  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    2,103
    I'm not sure how Feely can be certain of this but the man knows his sh*t IMO. He is very sharp and has a future as an analyst when his career is over. He knows football better than many of the ex-players on ESPN. Lomas Brown comes to mind.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Rex drafted 2 safeties in the 2008 draft (Tom Zbikowski and Haruki Nakamura)...I'm sure he values them more than the omnipotent Cimini realizes.
    I hear what you are saying regarding how he values S, but not to get technical but Rex didn't draft them, Ozzie Newsome did.

    It wasn't even his team since Harbaugh is the HC. I'm sure he gave his input but it's still Newsome that pulls the trigger.

  6. #26
    I always found the talk about Rex not highly valuing the S position to be kinda humorous, since he only got to be a witness to Ed Reed in his prime. It seems more like people trying to discount Kerry Rhodes's impact on this team last year more then anything else to me. There's no doubt in my mind we're coming out of this draft with a Safety. It's just a matter of who and when, to me.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

    Now with that said, I don't see Mays to the Jets as a particuarly likely match. I can't envision the Jets drafting such a coverage liability simply because he hits hard. We already have Eric Smith for that. We need a coverage guy who can create some turnovers. In fact, I'd venture to guess that Nate Allen is well above Taylor Mays on the Jets draft board.
    What is this argument?? Safeties who can't cover aren't a good fit for the Jets as opposed to which team... ????

    If i went to 32 teams and asked, "Hey, would you like a safety who can't cover?" ... I would get 32 NO's
    Its about whether or not your system can utilize his strengths, whether they're a fit or not.

    Let's see, his strengths involve..

    1. Being fast
    2. murdering people
    3. murdering people fast.

    If there's any team in the NFL who CAN make use of his skills IT IS us. We have two 2 top corners playing man coverage, and can use Jim L over the top to help. Mays is a point and shoot guy.

    You want..Sacks, Running backs ordering dentures, Slot WRs and TE getting decapitated, then he's your guy.


    Bit made a great point when he said Jets fans outsted Rhodes for covering but not being able to hit. Now Mays can hit but not cover, so he's sh*t too. You leave little to no margin for human imperfection.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-19-2010 at 02:16 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    What is this argument?? Safeties who can't cover aren't a good fit for the Jets... ????

    If i went to 32 teams and asked, "Hey, would you like a safety who can't cover?" ... I would get 32 NO's
    Its about whether or not your system can utilize his strengths, whether they're a fit or not.

    Let's see, his strengths involve..

    1. Being fast
    2. murdering people
    3. murdering people fast.

    If there's any team in the NFL who CAN make use of his skills IT IS us. We have two 2 top corners playing man coverage, and can use Jim L over the top to help. Mays is a point and shoot guy.
    So.... he's a faster version of Eric Smith and/or James Ihedigbo? Awesome.

    Taylor Mays is a little bit redundant on this team.

    Is it so wrong to prefer someone who would complement the players we already have instead? You know, someone who can cover a Tight End? Someone who can create a couple turnovers?

    I don't give a **** about leading the league in highlight reel hits. I'd rather win.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    What is this argument?? Safeties who can't cover aren't a good fit for the Jets... ????

    If i went to 32 teams and asked, "Hey, would you like a safety who can't cover?" ... I would get 32 NO's
    Its about whether or not your system can utilize his strengths, whether they're a fit or not.

    Let's see, his strengths involve..

    1. Being fast
    2. murdering people
    3. murdering people fast.

    If there's any team in the NFL who CAN make use of his skills IT IS us. We have two 2 top corners playing man coverage, and can use Jim L over the top to help. Mays is a point and shoot guy.

    You want..Sacks, Running backs ordering dentures, Slot WRs and TE getting decapitated, then he's your guy.


    Bit made a great point when he said Jets fans outsted Rhodes for covering but not being able to hit. Now Mays can hit but not cover, so he's sh*t too. You leave little to no margin for human imperfection.
    +1

    and its not like he doesn't have the ability and passion to get better in coverage. that's one area that I believe coaches can really make an impact on a defensive back.

    i dont know how this would be a redundant pick, no one in our secondary is a fast bruiser like him.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    So.... he's a faster version of Eric Smith and/or James Ihedigbo? Awesome.

    Taylor Mays is a little bit redundant on this team.

    Is it so wrong to prefer someone who would complement the players we already have instead? You know, someone who can cover a Tight End? Someone who can create a couple turnovers?

    I don't give a **** about leading the league in highlight reel hits. I'd rather win.
    You're overstating his weaknesses. If he was that bad, he wouldnt be even drafed. He'd be chris leak'ed and left to sputter. There's ways to use Mays in our defense, especially in some of the 46 schemes, and other blitz heavy packages, if you can't see that, than take your blinders off. If you're a receiver (have you ever played before?) and you get lit up by mays in the middle, you're not going back there again. Its not about the highlight reel as much as there's a psychological impact players like Mays have on soft receivers, backs etc.

  11. #31
    Who knows...Maybe we move up for Earl Thomas or use Mays at OLB lol...

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Just to elaborate, Taylor Mays is not the kind of player that a coach or evaluator should look at, saying "what do i need to fix" or "What are the concerns here".. No, this is the kind of kid you say, "wow, How CAN we use him, he's got skills in certain areas that are off the charts" .

    Granted covering is large part of a safety's responsibilities, however, when you have a player that brings this kind of explosive potential to the field, you find ways to incorporate that strength. I highly doubt Taylor Mays is going to find himself in many situations where he's the only guy covering a top tier route runner who's zig zagging around him. We have so many disguised packages at the line, we do do whatever we want with Mays..

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Rex drafted 2 safeties in the 2008 draft (Tom Zbikowski and Haruki Nakamura)...I'm sure he values them more than the omnipotent Cimini realizes.
    I agree that he values them, but just not with high picks.

    Same with Bradway. Bradway showed that he clearly didn't value safeties in the first in regards to Ed Reed. Don't blame him either because safeties simply DON'T have as big an impact as other positions on the field. This is the reason why they will always be paid less than other positions and a lot of personnel guys won't even go safety in round 1. Pioli has said exactly this and we have shown it.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Just to elaborate, Taylor Mays is not the kind of player that a coach or evaluator should look at, saying "what do i need to fix" or "What are the concerns here".. No, this is the kind of kid you say, "wow, How CAN we use him, he's got skills in certain areas that are off the charts" .

    Granted covering is large part of a safety's responsibilities, however, when you have a player that brings this kind of explosive potential to the field, you find ways to incorporate that strength. I highly doubt Taylor Mays is going to find himself in many situations where he's the only guy covering a top tier route runner who's zig zagging around him. We have so many disguised packages at the line, we do do whatever we want with Mays..
    Problem is that I've seen Mays look like a joke at times in coverage.

    Teams still have to be able to run cover 3 or even cover 1. In that Ohio State game before he got hurt he whiffed badly (not even within 5 yards of a player he should have killed) and the player went for a touchdown.

    Mays is so fun for me to watch because of the unbelievable hits, but he really does cost his team in coverage. he has no instincts there. And he can't take guys in man to man, although we could live without that if it came down to it.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Problem is that I've seen Mays look like a joke at times in coverage.

    Teams still have to be able to run cover 3 or even cover 1. In that Ohio State game before he got hurt he whiffed badly (not even within 5 yards of a player he should have killed) and the player went for a touchdown.

    Mays is so fun for me to watch because of the unbelievable hits, but he really does cost his team in coverage. he has no instincts there. And he can't take guys in man to man, although we could live without that if it came down to it.
    Again, focusing on the negatives. run a cover 1 with Leonard. I'm not under the illusion that he'll be in there on many nickel packages or big passing downs. He's pass rusher, and running back H-Killer, a headhunter in the middle. Thats what he is. Can we use a player like that? I think so.

    Thats like saying we're gonna draft michael vick and then b*tch about him not being a pocket passer..

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I agree that he values them, but just not with high picks.

    Same with Bradway. Bradway showed that he clearly didn't value safeties in the first in regards to Ed Reed. Don't blame him either because safeties simply DON'T have as big an impact as other positions on the field. This is the reason why they will always be paid less than other positions and a lot of personnel guys won't even go safety in round 1. Pioli has said exactly this and we have shown it.
    I can't agree with that because recently we have seen two elite safeties get Defensive Player of the Year (Sanders 2007 and Reed 2004) and Polamalu has made strong campaigns as well. Then there's Brian Dawkins (the leader of the Eagles defense and made the difference on the Broncos) and Adrian Wilson who is jack of all trades.

    This position is becoming more and more important every year. Safety IS the playmaker position now IMO.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    You're overstating his weaknesses. If he was that bad, he wouldnt be even drafed. He'd be chris leak'ed and left to sputter. There's ways to use Mays in our defense, especially in some of the 46 schemes, and other blitz heavy packages, if you can't see that, than take your blinders off.
    Sure, there's ways to use him.

    But we already use Eric Smith in pretty much a similar role. Sure, Mays is better then Smith, but better enough to use our 1st round pick on him? I don't see it.

    If you're a receiver (have you ever played before?) and you get lit up by mays in the middle, you're not going back there again. Its not about the highlight reel as much as there's a psychological impact players like Mays have on soft receivers, backs etc.
    If you're in the NFL, and you're afraid to run the route that's called because you might get hit. You're going to be cut very shortly. The "psychological impact" stuff is overrated. It's their job to go over the middle, make the catch, and take the hit. You're kidding yourself if you think that a big hit is going to take a Wes Welker off his game, for example.

    Big Hits are for highlight reels. All you need is a reliable tackler though.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

    Big Hits are for highlight reels. All you need is a reliable tackler though.
    People criticize Mays’ tackling but he still somehow has 268 career tackles, 157 of which were solo tackles.

    That's pretty reliable.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

    If you're in the NFL, and you're afraid to run the route that's called because you might get hit. You're going to be cut very shortly. The "psychological impact" stuff is overrated. It's their job to go over the middle, make the catch, and take the hit. You're kidding yourself if you think that a big hit is going to take a Wes Welker off his game, for example. .
    Man, there`s all kind of softies in the NFL today. And all kind of people that are gonna hear footsteps and loose concentration, or take their eyes off the ball too early looking for the defender. that stuff happens all the time.

    Again, it`s not that you`re insane, i just think you overstated the negatives, and understated the positives. It depends on who`s there when we pick, but Mays should be considered if the cards don`t fall our way, and guys like Odrick, Graham, etc are off the board.

  20. #40
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,313
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Problem is that I've seen Mays look like a joke at times in coverage.

    Teams still have to be able to run cover 3 or even cover 1. In that Ohio State game before he got hurt he whiffed badly (not even within 5 yards of a player he should have killed) and the player went for a touchdown.

    Mays is so fun for me to watch because of the unbelievable hits, but he really does cost his team in coverage. he has no instincts there. And he can't take guys in man to man, although we could live without that if it came down to it.
    This is a good post. I've watched every USC game for probably close to the last decade so I've seen Mays a lot. There's a lot of potential there but I think the lack of coverage skills is just too glaring for the Jets to use a high pick on him. Even if he doesn't bust, he could be a 3-year project and we're trying to win the Superbowl now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us