Thread: computer help

computer help

My son's laptop has stopped connecting to the internet. It is recognizing wireless networks and is connected with strong signal strength (says local access only), but won't connect to the internet regardless of browser choice. I tried IE8, Chrome and Firefox, all with the same result. He thinks this happened after some automatic windows updates on Thursday. I uninstalled the updates, but that didn't fix the problem. He has no restore points either.

The OS is Vista Home Premium. Scans clean for viruses using Avenge and Malware bytes.

Any suggestions (other than getting a Mac)?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Did you reset the router?

When I cant connect I unplug it for a few minutes.
    and that sometimes does the trick.

[QUOTE=32green;3563985]Did you reset the router?

When I cant connect I unplug it for a few minutes.
    and that sometimes does the trick.[/QUOTE]

+1...you could do the same with your cable/dsl modem.

resetting the router didn't work. no internet whether wireless or hardwired here or at his school up at Ramapo.

I did some research and discovered that certain versions of Norton do this. I uninstalled Norton from the laptop and the problem was solved. The network adapter now automatically finds the IP adress. How strange. The stupid trial version of Norton was on this computer for 2+ years without a problem (use AVG for Virus protection). Everything seems to be working now.

thanks guys!