Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: surprise,surprise,surprise

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

surprise,surprise,surprise

the jets will trade down and take two defensive ends in round #2.sounds crazy.but it makes sense for now and the future.
    2a-cory wooten d.e.
    2b-alex carrington d.e.

what say ye jet fans.agreed?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be OK with trading down and taking DEs but not those two. Wootton sucks and some people don't say the nicest things about Carrington on film.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see the Jets moving down about 15 -20 spots to pick up a third and then going Robinson, Joseph, and Worilds.

That would be an incredible injection of youth and talent on an already beast of a Defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not happening

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    he jets will trade down and take two defensive ends in round #2.sounds crazy.but it makes sense for now and the future.
    2a-cory wooten d.e.
    2b-alex carrington d.e.

Rooter,

The scenario you articulate is a very plausible one for the Jets in this years draft... i.e. moving down out of the first round to pick up some extra picks.

I have two problems,however, with your 2 DE picks:

1 - It is highly unlikely that the Jets would pick 2 D - lineman with their top two selections, what with their need to build depth in the secondary. Remember Rex LOVES to collect corners and this draft is loaded so I can't see him and Mike T passing...

2 - Both DE prospects you touted, Carrington and Wotten, both show the same weakness on film: A lack of passion and consistent intensity in their play. This trait is a huge red flag in any player, but especially this early in the draft this type of player (for example Gholston showed this weakness on film) must be avoided at all cost. I must admit Carrington looked great in the Senior Bowl practices and he does have good potential, but he would only be on my draft board in the late 3rd round or lower.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not enough roster spots to support getting two early DE's. I agree that the Jets should look at one early to prepare for the future and the departure of Douglass, but there is no way the team can carry, Ellis, Pit, Devito, and two draft picks at DE.

EDIT: maybe the Jets draft one more late and stash him on the PS?
    Last edited by intothegreen; 04-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lush Puppy View Post
    he jets will trade down and take two defensive ends in round #2.sounds crazy.but it makes sense for now and the future.
    2a-cory wooten d.e.
    2b-alex carrington d.e.

Rooter,

The scenario you articulate is a very plausible one for the Jets in this years draft... i.e. moving down out of the first round to pick up some extra picks.

I have two problems,however, with your 2 DE picks:

1 - It is highly unlikely that the Jets would pick 2 D - lineman with their top two selections, what with their need to build depth in the secondary. Remember Rex LOVES to collect corners and this draft is loaded so I can't see him and Mike T passing...

2 - Both DE prospects you touted, Carrington and Wotten, both show the same weakness on film: A lack of passion and consistent intensity in their play. This trait is a huge red flag in any player, but especially this early in the draft this type of player (for example Gholston showed this weakness on film) must be avoided at all cost. I must admit Carrington looked great in the Senior Bowl practices and he does have good potential, but he would only be on my draft board in the late 3rd round or lower.
    Good first post.

And accurate assessment. Carrington looked real good at the senior bowl practices, but a lot of resources that I trust looked back at him during the season and said he didn't do much.

Much like Carriker who was garbage for Nebraska and then drove his stock up so much that he was an early first rounder based on senior bowl practices.

I watched Wootton in a few games and I was not impressed at all.. prototype size, but the guy just shows so little at times. That lack of production is the reason he went from a preseason 1st rounder to now a later rounder. I think he goes in the 3rd, and even that will be too high.