Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Sources: Ga. Tech, USC players failed NFL Combine drug test

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Sources: Ga. Tech, USC players failed NFL Combine drug test

Every year, a few of the draft’s top prospects appear on the confidential list for failed NFL Scouting Combine drug tests.

FOXSports.com has learned the two biggest names for 2010: Georgia Tech running back Jonathan Dwyer and Southern California tight end Anthony McCoy.

Dwyer tested positive in February for amphetamines, but this appears unlikely to hurt his standing as a late first-round/early second-round selection in this week’s draft. A source said the positive test was triggered by a prescription medication that Dwyer has NFL clearance to use for a pre-existing condition.

“The NFL knew this going into the Combine,” the source said. “Every NFL team is aware of the medication he takes and the confirmation from all the [NFL] doctors involved. Some NFL players take the same medication.”

An early-entry junior with a pounding running style, the 5-foot-11, 229-pound Dwyer rushed for 1,385 yards in both the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

McCoy, who is projected as a second-day pick, tested positive for marijuana

A source told FOXSports.com that McCoy’s representatives (Priority Sports and Entertainment) revealed the positive test to NFL franchises several weeks ago to give teams time to perform due diligence as part of the scouting process. Such honesty paid dividends in 2005 for Priority client Luis Castillo, who admitted to failing a steroid test at the Combine well before the official results were given to NFL clubs. The defensive end was still selected in the first round by San Diego and hasn’t failed a drug test since.

As a senior, McCoy caught 22 passes for 457 yards and one touchdown while struggling with an ankle injury for the second half of the 2009 season. Besides his receiving prowess, the 6-foot-5, 259-pound McCoy is regarded as one of top blocking tight ends in this draft class.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/S...ug-test-041810

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long does dope stay in a persons system? I still find it amazing that these door knobs can't be totally clean for about 4-6 months of their lives and risk big $.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 04-19-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    How long does dope stay in a persons system? I still find it amazing that these door knobs can't be totally clean for about 4-6 months of their loves and risk big $.
    Pot stays in your system for about a month. Dwyer's excuse sounds like it might actually be legit.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Pot stays in your system for about a month. Dwyer's excuse sounds like it might actually be legit.
    With an athlete it'd probably be even less, the amount that they sweat out and drink each day. It amazes me how you could be dumb enough to fail a preknown drug test on the most important day of your predraft life.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    With an athlete it'd probably be even less, the amount that they sweat out and drink each day. It amazes me how you could be dumb enough to fail a preknown drug test on the most important day of your predraft life.
    You're correct in saying that an athlete can literally cycle all the traces of pot out of his system by drinking water and sweating constantly but they do have ways of figuring that out too. They caught Charles Rogers with drugs a few years back by finding an excess of water on his urine.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not talking about flushing his system a few days before the test, I'm just talking about it naturally happening over the course of a couple of weeks training.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    The more regularly you smoke the longer it can stay in your system. A chronic pot smoker can pee dirty for 3 or 4 months.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanJim View Post
    The more regularly you smoke the longer it can stay in your system. A chronic pot smoker can pee dirty for 3 or 4 months.
    And you know this how?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dwyer already got a theraputic medical clearance by the NFL so I don't know why the article says it's "unlikely" to hurt his draft status.

Hello? If he's gotten clearance to use the drug how can it hurt his status???
    Last edited by SMC; 04-19-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanJim View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xm26tMFb9I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

McCoy, who is projected as a second-day pick, tested positive for marijuana
    McShay was discussing this on Mike and Mike this am and his comments got me a little bummed about Santonio Holmes.

Said if you can't keep clean of pot for the 3-4 weeks you need to to test clean at the combine--with everything that's at stake, and with all the prior notice you have--then NFL teams will consider it's one of 2 problems. Either

1. You are really really stupid; or

2. You are an habitual user.

And they consider them BOTH equally bad problems.

Got me to thinking that basically, Santonio is an habitual user and will eventually get nailed again.

I am so excited about this player but I fear that the knucklehead just can't avoid the weed.