Thread: CHEAP bars in NYC

CHEAP bars in NYC

I'm interning in NYC this summer. I'll be staying in an NYU dorm in Union Square. I was wondering if you guys knew of some cheaper bars in Manhattan. I'm 22 and I'll be in NYC for about 8 weeks. Also, if any Yankees fans know of any good bars to watch the games I won't be able to attend, that'd be great..trying to find some good deals at some good bars around town.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

With a name like Foley, you should be telling us the cheap bars in the city.

:D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=foleydx;3564479]I'm interning in NYC this summer. I'll be staying in an NYU dorm in Union Square. I was wondering if you guys knew of some cheaper bars in Manhattan. I'm 22 and I'll be in NYC for about 8 weeks. Also, if any Yankees fans know of any good bars to watch the games I won't be able to attend, that'd be great..trying to find some good deals at some good bars around town.[/QUOTE]

Barfly's at 20th and 3rd Ave. has $2 domestic pints starting at noon, M-F (not sure how late in the day this goes). They have a decent menu and plenty of t.v.s for game watching. There's also O'Hanlon's on 14th St. near
    1st Ave. Bit of a dive and no kitchen, but lots of space, $3 pints, and liberal buy-backs from the Irish bartender.

Jimmy's corner tavern 140 W. 44th St.
    btwn 6th & Broadway

Owned by legendary boxing cutman Jimmy Glenn. the whole bar is lamenated with pictures opf him with all of boxing's greatest. his wifey works the bar during the day and there are hottys behind the bar at night. a lot of NY beat writers go there for happy hour.

I havent been there in a couple of years but you used to be able to get a pint of becks on tap for like $3..which in times sq is super cheap.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3564673]Barfly's at 20th and 3rd Ave. has $2 domestic pints starting at noon, M-F (not sure how late in the day this goes). They have a decent menu and plenty of t.v.s for game watching. There's also O'Hanlon's on 14th St. near
    1st Ave. Bit of a dive and no kitchen, but lots of space, $3 pints, and liberal buy-backs from the Irish bartender.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh...O'Hanlon's. Haven't been there in a long while but it used to be a great spot to go when I lived around the corner. No frills, just a bunch of guys (don't recall many women there, except for my roomate) drinking. They spruced it up a few years back, but its still a no frills, drinking man's bar.

Also, check out Crocodile Lounge on 14th. You get free pizza with every drink. Its got a dingy basement-like feel, but also has a very nice backyard area with (mostly broken) lawn furniture to sit on. Fun place to hang out at - alas its a bit younger than I am now, but should fit you perfectly.

Kings Head is also a fun spot in the area, although not particularly cheap. If the Jim Roberti Duo still plays, you should check them out - a lot of fun.

Edit: and if you are looking to leave the USQ area for a cheap bar, the most well known dive bar in the city is probably Rudy's on 9th Ave. Unless its changed, you get a hot dog with every drink.
    Last edited by crasherino; 04-19-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There's also a popular NYU hangout called Finnerty's that I used to go to all the time. It's on 2nd Ave. near 14th. They changed ownership a year ago and I haven't been back since, but as far as I know, it's very popular with the students.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Operation Barbarossa;3564753]Jimmy's corner tavern 140 W. 44th St.
    btwn 6th & Broadway

Owned by legendary boxing cutman Jimmy Glenn. the whole bar is lamenated with pictures opf him with all of boxing's greatest. his wifey works the bar during the day and there are hottys behind the bar at night. a lot of NY beat writers go there for happy hour.

I havent been there in a couple of years but you used to be able to get a pint of becks on tap for like $3..which in times sq is super cheap.[/QUOTE]
    This sounds like a cool bar.

These are definitely what I am looking for. Thanks, guys! Keep them coming.

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3564845]There's also a popular NYU hangout called Finnerty's that I used to go to all the time. It's on 2nd Ave. near 14th. They changed ownership a year ago and I haven't been back since, but as far as I know, it's very popular with the students.[/QUOTE]

I think Finnerty's is on 3rd ave and 14th. Great place. There's a whole slew of bars on 3rd ave from 14th street down to about 12th or so. Finnerty's and Bar None are the ones I went to while at NYU. Josie Woods (formerly Boo Radleys) on, I believe Waverly and Greene, was another good one.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3564845]There's also a popular NYU hangout called Finnerty's that I used to go to all the time. It's on 2nd Ave. near 14th. They changed ownership a year ago and I haven't been back since, but as far as I know, it's very popular with the students.[/QUOTE]

there's a bar next door called Professor Thoms and that has kind of surpassed Finnertys in terms of popularity...

also, OP are you staying in Carlyle?

Next to every fancy joint in the City, there is a cheap bar.

You're in New York. They all play the Yankees game.

Bounce is expensive but a good Yankee bar. Black Finn is a big Yankees Bar in midtown -- cheap. In the 20/30s, you have Dukes, Earls, Deweys FlatIron, 3rd & Long, Joshua Tree. 40s Calico Jacks, McFaddens. The Upper East Side you got The Stumble Inn, Brother Jimmys, Ship of Fools, Jack Russells.

These are just places where I went to. The City is full of these boozerries.

All Pro
    You should also check out McSorleys on 7th and Cooper just for the experience.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I always liked Pete's Tavern which is nearby I think...I have not been there in a couple of years though

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3565197]I always liked Pete's Tavern which is nearby I think...I have not been there in a couple of years though[/QUOTE]

Love their burgers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetswin;3565197]I always liked Pete's Tavern which is nearby I think...I have not been there in a couple of years though[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's right down the street from where I work, on Irving Place at 19th St. Good place for lunch; beers are a bit on the pricey side, though.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SINYJets;3565125][B]I think Finnerty's is on 3rd ave and 14th.[/B] Great place. There's a whole slew of bars on 3rd ave from 14th street down to about 12th or so. Finnerty's and Bar None are the ones I went to while at NYU. Josie Woods (formerly Boo Radleys) on, I believe Waverly and Greene, was another good one.[/QUOTE]

Finnerty's used to be on 3rd Ave. and then the owner got an offer she couldn't refuse ($$$), and sold about 4 years ago. Ironically, given the OP question, what now stands atop the spot of the old "Finn" on 3rd Ave. are NYU dorms. The newer incarnation of Finnerty's is now on 2nd Ave., but it doesn't have the feel of the original, below-street-level place.

Another place in the area nobody mentioned (I think) is The Pour House, featured now and again on SNY's "Beer Money".

Bastards! Damn you bar for your hot women and cheap beer! Why would they sell drafts for $1 on a Sunday night! Of course I'm going to drink like 12 of em'. What a Monday...urgghh.

[QUOTE=JFB;3565130]Next to every fancy joint in the City, there is a cheap bar.

You're in New York. They all play the Yankees game.

Bounce is expensive but a good Yankee bar. Black Finn is a big Yankees Bar in midtown -- cheap. In the 20/30s, you have Dukes, Earls, Deweys FlatIron, 3rd & Long, [B]Joshua Tree[/B]. 40s Calico Jacks, [B]McFaddens[/B]. The Upper East Side you got The Stumble Inn, Brother Jimmys, Ship of Fools, Jack Russells.

These are just places where I went to. The City is full of these boozerries.[/QUOTE]

Went to those 2 places for the first time a couple months back. The night was a bit of a blur, but I remember them being cool joints.