Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets #29 slot has "Tebow, McCoy value"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets #29 slot has "Tebow, McCoy value"

The Jets appear to have a desirable pick at #29. They happen to pick right in front of the Vikings. Most, including myself, expect the Jets to trade up. However, their pick at #29 could dictate a strong incentive to trade down. Minnesota, with a solid roster top to bottom, is a threat to take a developmental QB at #30. Favre will probably play this year but Tarvaris Jackson has not shown himself to be the answer for 2011 and beyond. It would not shock me if teams like Buffalo and Cleveland pass on Clausen with their top 10 pick but trade back into the first to take Tim Tebow or Colt McCoy. The Jets might hold the most desirable spot in the draft to pull this off.

P.S. I really think the Jets will trade up to #19 with ATL in front of Houston if Earl Thomas is available.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 04-19-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    The Jets appear to have a desirable pick at #29. They happen to pick right in front of the Vikings. Most, including myself, expect the Jets to trade up. However, their pick at #29 could dictate a strong incentive to trade down. Minnesota, with a solid roster top to bottom, is a threat take a developmental QB at #30. Favre will probably play this year but Tarvaris Jackson has not shown himself to be the answer for 2011 and beyond. It would not shock me if teams like Buffalo and Cleveland pass on Clausen with their top 10 pick but trade back into the first to take Tim Tebow or Colt McCoy. The Jets might hold the most desirable spot in the draft to pull this off.
    If that turns out to be the case, I'll do backflips. Unless there is a player that unexpectedly drops precipitously, there really isn't someone that will be there that the Jets can't afford to pass over, IMO. I'd rather get back into the 3rd round and move into the 30s as our first pick.

It will suck to get to the end of the first round and not have the Jets pick though.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed Crash. It would suck to be waiting all night for our pick, only to have it traded. That being said, I WOULD BE THRILLED if we were able to trade back and scoop up more picks in this deep draft. If one of the QB's slide I could easily see this playing out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, if the Jets can get a bunch of picks for the 29 that would be a good thing.

But, selfishly, I'd be pissed if the Jets traded out of the 1st because that would have been a wasted night of TV viewing on Thursday and having to wait until Friday for the Jets 1st pick.

Having the 1st & 2nd rounds split up is idiotic. FU Goodell. You suck at life.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Hey, if the Jets can get a bunch of picks for the 29 that would be a good thing.

But, selfishly, I'd be pissed if the Jets traded out of the 1st because that would have been a wasted night of TV viewing on Thursday and having to wait until Friday for the Jets 1st pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Well atleast it'd make Friday for some good viewing. But that would definitely suck on Thursday night. Headlines read "Jets trade...stay tuned". Sucks for writers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bah! The Jets have traded their picks the last few years leaving us waiting around. I'm interested in the whole draft so I'll enjoy it regardless and since I've been in the 'trade down' camp from very early on I'll be happy, especially knowing we will have more picks day 2 or 3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we trade back lets say 10-15 slots we would pick up a 3rd which will be good. The only way I do not trade back is a shot at Dan Williams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OP was too hard on Jackson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    According to some Vikes fans, I wasn't hard enough.

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/tw...I918GBLSGL0F1L

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How so? His comment was about as accurate as can be. Jackson has shown nothing on a consistent basis. Put him on a team like the Redskins and he is no better than Campbell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    vikings fans love a goat.

Jackson isn't an elite QB nor do i think he has the potential to be. He has however, made strides every season through his first 3 season. If anything, he's guilty of being hurt too often.

I think MIN will look for a future QB sometime too, but they made they playoffs with Jackson, i don't think its a nightmare to have him starting for you, if you're MIN.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    vikings fans love a goat.

Jackson isn't an elite QB nor do i think he has the potential to be. He has however, made strides every season through his first 3 season. If anything, he's guilty of being hurt too often.

I think MIN will look for a future QB sometime too, but they made they playoffs with Jackson, i don't think its a nightmare to have him starting for you, if you're MIN.
    I do agree that he has improved steadily...but not enough to instill confidence in the CS or fanbase that he can be their longterm answer. Minnesota has the option for a "luxury pick" at #30. That was my point.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 04-19-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be rooting for Clausen to drop. If that happens the Jets will be in a power position at 29. That alone will make the first day interesting to me - even if we do not get to pick until day two. In this draft I will gladly take two picks in the second round (as long as the first one is top 10 - 2nd round) and a third round pick. We should still be in line to get a good player at the top of the second round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetTerp View Post
    Agreed Crash. It would suck to be waiting all night for our pick, only to have it traded. That being said, I WOULD BE THRILLED if we were able to trade back and scoop up more picks in this deep draft. If one of the QB's slide I could easily see this playing out.
    It would suck trading out fo the first day, but it would be for the better of the team imo.

And yes, I agree regarding Minny taking a QB. It makes total sense for them to go QB, and the Jets pick then becomes that much better.

Unless they flat out love someone like Hughes or Cody, or get a big time drop from someone like Graham, then trading down makes a lot of sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard Bradway on the radio this morning say something to the effect of how he wasn't necessarily "blown away" with the 1st round talent, and that the true value of the draft was in rounds 2-5.

I realize many on this board have already stated this, but it lends some credence to the Jets perhaps bucking their recent trends and trading down (for the right price)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do agree that we're in an ideal position to trade down to a QB needy team, simply because we pick right in front of Minnesota, who needs a long term answer at QB....we should be able to drum up enough interest in that pick from teams like Cleveland and Buffalo (Or well, whichever doesn't take Clausen) because of which.

I don't even think Minnesota would go QB anyways, they're loading up for a Super Bowl run more then caring about the future, but given their unsettled QB position, it only makes sense for teams to be nervous about them potentially taking their guy.

...as for Tavaris Jackson/Sage Rosenfels, lets face it, if the Vikings had any faith in their abilities, they wouldn't have been setting up private flights and limo rides for Brett Favre all of last offseason... similar to how our run at Favre showed our true thoughts about Clemens, the Vikings run at him showed their true thoughts about Jackson/Rosenfels...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I do agree that we're in an ideal position to trade down to a QB needy team, simply because we pick right in front of Minnesota, who needs a long term answer at QB....we should be able to drum up enough interest in that pick from teams like Cleveland and Buffalo (Or well, whichever doesn't take Clausen) because of which.
    Considering that teams would be willing to leapfrog the Vikes and the Vikes need a longterm answer at QB, Tanny should try to trade with the Vikes to drop 1 slot and get a 3rd rounder out of it.

That should work for everyone:

-- Vikes don't have to worry about getting leapfrogged and get the QB they want.
    -- Jets stay in the 1st round and get a 3rd rounder (high price for Vikes but the alternative is not getting the QB they want).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I understand fans would be upset if they tuned in for 5 hours of the draft on Thursday night and still didn't get to see their team pick. I don't think the Jets Front Office can consider that when evaluating trade offers. If someone makes you a great offer, but we have to move down to the 2nd round, you still take it.

And I highly doubt Minnesota would be desperate enough to give us a 3rd rounder to move up 1 pick. That'd be insanity. Of course, if they do, then we should take that, and continue to shop whichever one of Tebow or McCoy they didn't pick to Cleveland and Buffalo .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    While I understand fans would be upset if they tuned in for 5 hours of the draft on Thursday night and still didn't get to see their team pick. I don't think the Jets Front Office can consider that when evaluating trade offers. If someone makes you a great offer, but we have to move down to the 2nd round, you still take it.

And I highly doubt Minnesota would be desperate enough to give us a 3rd rounder to move up 1 pick. That'd be insanity. Of course, if they do, then we should take that, and continue to shop whichever one of Tebow or McCoy they didn't pick to Cleveland and Buffalo .
    It all depends on how desperate the Vikes are. We've seen teams give up a big pick just to move up 1 or 2 slots before in order to avoid getting ninja'd.

And I can see them wheeling again after a trade with the Vikes.

Besides the selfish viewing interest, I'd be worried about trading back into the 2nd because of the extra 18 hours team would have in order to make trades.

In the past, teams would have a couple of minutes to a couple of hours tops to make trades while the draft is going on. Now, with the big break, teams get reset their boards make way more phone calls and, thus, make more moves that they wouldn't have been able to make because of the time constraints.