Thread: My final Jets mock....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

My final Jets mock....

Unless something weird happens and the Jets trade for Elvis Dummervil for a 4th round pick or something.

1 (29) - Jets trade this pick to the Detroit Lions for 2 (34) and 4 (100)

The Lions take Suh with their pick and want to get ahead of Indianapolis to take one of the remaining top end o-lineman.

2 (34) - Jerry Hughes - OLB - TCU
    Despite the possible addition of Jason Taylor and being burnt by Vernon Gholston the one missing ingredient from this defense is a pure pass rusher that will cause teams to possibly scheme for that player. The Rex Ryan blitzing packages will be all the more impressive if teams feel they must have a RB or TE chip a rusher because he is a threat on his own. The addition of a fast LB is also a boon for special teams which were weak in coverage last year.

2 (61) - Nate Allen - S - South Florida
    Whether Allen is available here or not is the big question. It is no slam dunk either way and will depend on the rating of guys like Morgan Burnett and Taylor Mays. Despite getting Brodney Poole the Jets are thin at S, at least quality full time safety. Poole has an injury history and Rex Ryan craves a play maker back in the secondary that can make teams pay for their mistakes.

4 (100) - Ben Tate - RB - Auburn
    Tate has been getting some press and rising up draft boards but it is not totally out of the realm that he will be here in the 4th round. Very good value for a pounding RB with some speed. I feel that regardless of how well Leon Washington recovers that he will be moved. With LT being the 3rd down back and Shone Greene being the starter I feel the Jets will want a pounder as a 1st year back up as opposed to a speed guy in case Greene goes down. Some might feel this is a luxury pick but RB's get injured and regardless of the new passing weapons the Jets have a good running game is still the life blood of this offense.

4 (124) - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - CB - Indiana
    The Jets appear set at starting CB's with Darelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie but Cromartie is in the last year of his contract. Also the Jets secondary was abused at times last year by teams 3rd receivers. Upgrading their 3rd CB and having injury insurance at that position is important.

6 (198) - Corey Peters - DT/DE - Kentucky
    The Jets draft a D-lineman from Kentucky? Oh no!!!
    Peters talks the talk and at 6'3", 300 he ran under 4.91 at his pro day. He seems like an ideal later round 3-4 DE prospect.

7 (236) - Andrew Tyshovnytsky - OT/OG - Fordham
    The Jets obligatory late round o-lineman selection. 6'4", 318 He ran 4.91, 4.94 at his pro day, pretty good for a big man. He also benched 33. Small school prospect that could play OG or OT at the next level.
    (Note: It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Jets took an o-lineman high in this draft, as in the 1st 2 rounds if the right guy is there.)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the "late round obligatory O-lineman" comment! They always do seem to take one in the 6th or 7th....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that were to happen I'd be thrilled with the first 4 picks.

Might as well try and package Leon if we get Tate.
    Last edited by NYJCAP2; 04-19-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    If that were to happen I'd be thrilled with the first 4 picks.

Might as well try and package Leon if we get Tate.
    I think as others have been mentioned that he won't be moved until he gets healthy. I can see us trading up prior to the season for a pick next year. (especially if another team gets a bad injury in their training camp)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love this draft if we swapped out Nate Allen and took Lamarr Houston. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah could be a future saftey prospect. Also, Houston has good athleticism and once played linebacker. This will allow Rex to be more creative with his defensive end.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be totally happy with that draft. Akwasi appears to have a standout future with some grooming. Allen and Hughes are in my top 5 wants and ben Tate could easily overtake Greene within 2 years (IMO)