Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Cannizzaro thinks McCourty at 29

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cannizzaro thinks McCourty at 29

    Rutgers' McCourty would add to Jets' CB wealth

    By MARK CANNIZZARO

    Last Updated: 9:09 AM, April 19, 2010

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...-rss&FEEDNAME=

    If you believe in NFL coaches following a pattern and staying true to what they believe in, then prepare for the Jets to draft Devin McCourty with the 29th overall pick in the first round on Thursday night.

    Why?

    Because McCourty, the former Rutgers cornerback, fits everything Rex Ryan wants as well as what Ryan's defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine, and his special teams coach, Mike Westhoff, desire in a player.

    First of all, McCourty is a physical cornerback who relishes playing bump-and-run coverage -- exactly what Ryan and Pettine want in a corner. Rutgers corner Devin McCourty, also a special-teams whiz, plays the type of physical style that Rex Ryan covets.

    Secondly, McCourty is a special-teams terror, having blocked seven kicks in his last three years of college, hurried countless others and become one of the best kick coverage players in the college game. He also averaged 25.4 yards on kickoff returns and took one back for a TD last year.

    In a recent visit to the Jets' Florham Park, N.J., facility, McCourty spent some quality alone time with Westhoff.

    "I sat down with him and he showed me some things they do to block punts and we talked about what we were able to do (at Rutgers) to block them," McCourty said.

    It's a mild upset that Westhoff ever let McCourty out of his office.

    As for Ryan, he loves cornerbacks more than he loves Mexican food.

    Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum often tells the story about the Ravens' Ozzie Newsome telling him after the Jets hired Ryan, "I'm shipping him up I-95. He has a little sign around his neck that says, 'I need corners.' "

    "That's just who Rex is; he cannot have enough corners," Tannenbaum said.

    So regardless of the fact that the Jets acquired Antonio Cromartie from the Chargers this offseason to start opposite Darrelle Revis, don't rule out Ryan pushing for McCourty in the first round Thursday.

    "[Ryan] told me, 'We have two [starting] corners who are real good, but we love having a lot of cornerbacks, because it helps our scheme out,' " McCourty said.

    McCourty, a captain and team MVP at Rutgers as a senior last year, was impressive at the NFL Combine in February, running a 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. He also has the size (5-11, 193 pounds) Ryan loves in a corner.

    The Jets let both Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland go this offseason, leaving Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman as the nickel and dime backs and leaving room for more cornerback talent to be brought in.

    McCourty, who's from Rockland County, said he'd "love to stay local."

    "If the Jets did choose me," he said, "I'd be real happy."

    McCourty enters this draft process with a slight edge over some of his fellow players because his twin brother, Jason, went through this process a year ago, drafted in the sixth round by the Titans. Jason McCourty was an immediate impact on special teams for the Titans last season.

    "Because of my brother going through this, nothing is much of a surprise for me right now," McCourty said. "Normally you'd feel anxious right now, but I've been pretty good staying calm. I'm sure I'll get more anxious and nervous as the draft approaches, but (my brother) told me to be patient."

    McCourty said the one cornerback he's followed most from afar is Revis, marveling at "his knowledge of the game."

    "When you watch him play you can see his anticipation of the game; he knows where the ball is going," McCourty said. "And he's a physical corner that likes to play bump-and-run."

    McCourty said, when preparing to play the University of Pittsburgh (where Revis went to school), he would watch film not only of the Panthers' offense, but sneak some peeks at their defensive film so he could watch Revis.

    "I watched how aggressive he plays," McCourty said. "I definitely try to do things he does because he's one of the best corners. He's definitely a guy I continue to watch."

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    if mcourty is there he'd be hard to pass up... but i think he will be gone by 29. GB, PHi and BAL all need corners.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, well this is the same writer that wrote the below.

    Pace was signed before Gholston was even drafted.



    >>Gholston's failure to become a competent starter as a pass-rushing outside linebacker has forced the team to go out and spend big money on free agents such as Calvin Pace to compensate for what Gholston has not done. >>

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...512wjOjDg6HgxM

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yeah, well this is the same writer that wrote the below.

    Pace was signed before Gholston was even drafted.



    >>Gholston's failure to become a competent starter as a pass-rushing outside linebacker has forced the team to go out and spend big money on free agents such as Calvin Pace to compensate for what Gholston has not done. >>

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...512wjOjDg6HgxM
    That was embarrasing... Should write an apology for that if you make that big a mistake as a writer.


    That said, McCourty does make sense... I don't hate him, but I'm not in love with him either. He was outperformed by a number of corners at the senior bowl practices and that should definitely count for something.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is nobody talking about us possibly taking Carlos Dunlap. He has top 10 talent and is falling for character issues.....which it seems the jets dont care about.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Why is nobody talking about us possibly taking Carlos Dunlap. He has top 10 talent and is falling for character issues.....which it seems the jets dont care about.
    He is bad... he doesn't have just character issues, he has severe effort issues.

    He definitely has top 10 talent, but he'd rather stay out of the mix and not bother getting his nose dirty on defense. Dunlap has severe bust potential.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He is bad... he doesn't have just character issues, he has severe effort issues.

    He definitely has top 10 talent, but he'd rather stay out of the mix and not bother getting his nose dirty on defense. Dunlap has severe bust potential.

    Sounds like #50 of the Jets

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He is bad... he doesn't have just character issues, he has severe effort issues.

    He definitely has top 10 talent, but he'd rather stay out of the mix and not bother getting his nose dirty on defense. Dunlap has severe bust potential.
    That's one of the core things I love about Mays, he plays with maximum effort and listens to his coaches.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    I highly doubt we'd be using the #29 pick in the draft on Special Teams all that much. Even if he's only a Nickle Corner as a rookie.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I highly doubt we'd be using the #29 pick in the draft on Special Teams all that much. Even if he's only a Nickle Corner as a rookie.
    Yeah, the Jets aren't the Fins and they don't care about McCourty's family.

    But the Jets don't have quality depth after Cromartie at the CB position with Lowery and Coleman.

    MCourty would be a good addition to the CB group and is good value at 29.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,813
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I highly doubt we'd be using the #29 pick in the draft on Special Teams all that much. Even if he's only a Nickle Corner as a rookie.
    if he's good enough to be a legit #2 cb in the nfl opposite revis, then he's a consideration. and if the same guy can return kicks and/or punts and also be an asset on ST, then you're getting added value with the pick. now, you don't take the guy if ST is the primary value. you take him if he can cover wrs.

    at this point, i have to trust rex on how he wants his defense to look. they've been super aggressive transforming the league's most boring offense, and rex overachieved on the defensive side. he deserves to have a chance to build the D in his image.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Yeah, the Jets aren't the Fins and they don't care about McCourty's family.

    But the Jets don't have quality depth after Cromartie at the CB position with Lowery and Coleman.

    MCourty would be a good addition to the CB group and is good value at 29.
    Oh, I'm not saying we wouldn't consider drafting him anyways. But the lines about how Mike Westhoff would love this kid I find a little bit humerous, since I doubt the Jets will want to risk their 1st round pick getting injured trying to block a punt.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Oh, I'm not saying we wouldn't consider drafting him anyways. But the lines about how Mike Westhoff would love this kid I find a little bit humerous, since I doubt the Jets will want to risk their 1st round pick getting injured trying to block a punt.
    True. I found them humorous as well.

    "Hey, kid, if you were a 4th rounder they'd care about special teams then. As a 1st? All they care about is you can play CB."

    That's why I laughed at all the talk about Revis and PR in 2007. Yes, Revis was a dynamic PR in college, but they didn't take him at 14 to return punts.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    McCourty is local homerism talk.
    If the Jets DID NOT acquire Cromartie - fine. But they did. DBs are NOT the Jets problem.
    Who is going to stop the run which was a weakness for the Jets last year. AND they lost their starting DE. That makes them better against the run?
    If Douglas was in place, maybe. But he is not. DE or OLB at 29.
    Get a CB (purely a backup) in the 4th round. Or package 4, 6 and 7 and maybe move into the third.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    McCourty is local homerism talk.
    If the Jets DID NOT acquire Cromartie - fine. But they did. DBs are NOT the Jets problem.
    Who is going to stop the run which was a weakness for the Jets last year. AND they lost their starting DE. That makes them better against the run?
    If Douglas was in place, maybe. But he is not. DE or OLB at 29.
    Get a CB (purely a backup) in the 4th round. Or package 4, 6 and 7 and maybe move into the third.
    I'm working from the assumption that the DE & OLB we've all been talking about in other threads are gone by 29. If those players are on the board I believe the Jets would take them over McCourty.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like taking a cb with our first pick, its a major need

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    funny how i read post saying db is not one of our major problems. So if cromartie gets hurt in playoffs, then we move lowery to the 2nd spot and drew coleman to the 3rd, what do we have there? The indy-jet game is what you will have. You can never have enough corners. This is an aggressive scheme. The more good good corners we have the better. I wouldn't have it any other way at first pick, take a corner.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    True. I found them humorous as well.

    "Hey, kid, if you were a 4th rounder they'd care about special teams then. As a 1st? All they care about is you can play CB."

    That's why I laughed at all the talk about Revis and PR in 2007. Yes, Revis was a dynamic PR in college, but they didn't take him at 14 to return punts.
    If McCourty is only going to be a nickel then I would be a fan of him playing a lot of special teams.

    But I completely agree... Never have important starters doing anything on special teams.


    As far as corner goes, I somehow think we are going to end up with Javier Arenas. Physical player, can cover, he visited with us, and he has done a lot of work in the slot with Bama which is where he's going to be used with us.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are three positions I could see the Jets going in Round 1:

    DL, CB, OLB

    I think DL and CB are most likely.

    Someone from the Odrick/Joseph/Cody/McCourty/Jackson group is bound to be on the board.

    I think there's an outside shot that we could take a passrushing OLB like Hughes or Sapp.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crayc View Post
    funny how i read post saying db is not one of our major problems. So if cromartie gets hurt in playoffs, then we move lowery to the 2nd spot and drew coleman to the 3rd, what do we have there? The indy-jet game is what you will have. You can never have enough corners. This is an aggressive scheme. The more good good corners we have the better. I wouldn't have it any other way at first pick, take a corner.
    The Jets do not have two starting DEs. They have two superior CBs.
    Who stops the run? Pick up a good CB in the 4th.
    Does any team have 3 #1 picks at CB on their team? Has any team ever? Is that necessary?

    This game has always been and always will be won up front.
    The Jets were not that effective against the run last year. The team this year so far is weaker and older up front. They are going to get the ball rammed down their throats in key games.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us