Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannizzaro thinks McCourty at 29

Its been stated a lot that Rex loves CBs, he finds ways to use them. If we get McCourty I will not complain, because teams like the Colts tore us up. You get real deep at CB and than our defense will be able to shut down Mr.Manning. Along with us being able to shut down the Patriots spread. Gives us insurance for if Cromartie doesn't work out and not have to start a rookie CB in 2011.

This also allows the Jets flexibility to maybe play Lowery some at safety.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    The Jets do not have two starting DEs. They have two superior CBs.
    Who stops the run? Pick up a good CB in the 4th.
    Does any team have 3 #1 picks at CB on their team? Has any team ever? Is that necessary?

This game has always been and always will be won up front.
    The Jets were not that effective against the run last year. The team this year so far is weaker and older up front. They are going to get the ball rammed down their throats in key games.
    The Chargers has 3 first round CB's on their roster last year, and the Bengals had 3 in '07.

i think if the board shakes out a certain way, he's a solid pick who will contribute in a variety of ways. if the jets go cb in round 1 they'll go DL in the 2nd. i think many would prefer if the jets went DE or OLB in the first, however.

Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    The Chargers has 3 first round CB's on their roster last year, and the Bengals had 3 in '07.
    Good find. I did not know that. Way to research.
    Here's my research and reply. With those #1s at CB,
    In 2007, Cincy had the #21 defense against the run and #26 against the pass.
    In 2009, SD had the #20 defense against the run and #11 against the pass.

Run down their throats. You need the boys up front.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Good find. I did not know that. Way to research.
    Here's my research and reply. With those #1s at CB,
    In 2007, Cincy had the #21 defense against the run and #26 against the pass.
    In 2009, SD had the #20 defense against the run and #11 against the pass.

Run down their throats. You need the boys up front.
    There was no need for research there... San DIego's situation was pretty obvious.

And as long as Kris Jenkins is healthy, the Jets will never be in the bottom half of the NFL against the run. The Jets are just still annoyed at losing to Indy because they truly couldn't cover the receivers, outside of Revis. The new NFL demands more than 2 corners.

We have Cromartie for what... a year? What happens when he plays really well and wants tons of money? Draft a rookie CB and start over? In my opinion you draft this kid as insurance to Cromartie. Our DLine depth played exceptionally well last season and there isn't anyone at 29 I could think about being worth the pick as a DE.

However I agree that DE is absolutely our biggest need. But, we're talking about taking the best available player right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    We have Cromartie for what... a year? What happens when he plays really well and wants tons of money? Draft a rookie CB and start over? In my opinion you draft this kid as insurance to Cromartie. Our DLine depth played exceptionally well last season and there isn't anyone at 29 I could think about being worth the pick as a DE.

However I agree that DE is absolutely our biggest need. But, we're talking about taking the best available player right?
    With the way Rex and Pettine have been gushing over Cromartie for years now, I think it's safe to say he'll get a long term deal if he plays to his capabilities.

I'm still down with taking another CB though. God knows Lowery isn't exactly reliable.

Still, DE is our biggest need. I love DeVito in his current role as a rotational player, but if he's starting he's going to be the guy your always looking to upgrade.

Odrick, Joseph, and Alualu are all players I would heavily consider at #29.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-20-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There was no need for research there... San DIego's situation was pretty obvious.

And as long as Kris Jenkins is healthy, the Jets will never be in the bottom half of the NFL against the run. The Jets are just still annoyed at losing to Indy because they truly couldn't cover the receivers, outside of Revis. The new NFL demands more than 2 corners.
    And when exactly is Jenkins healthy?

I love the guy and he's as dominant an interior DL as there is when he's on the top of his game, but he's starting to break down. Three serious injuries to a 360 lb mans knees. That's not good.

Not to mention that Jenkins has already comtemplated retirement more than once before.

I think it's safe to say we might get another two years out of Big Jenks, but that's about it.

I'm down with taking a CB, but DL is definitely an area that needs to be addressed within the first two rounds IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    And when exactly is Jenkins healthy?

I love the guy and he's as dominant an interior DL as there is when he's on the top of his game, but he's starting to break down. Three serious injuries to a 360 lb mans knees. That's not good.

Not to mention that Jenkins has already comtemplated retirement more than once before.

I think it's safe to say we might get another two years out of Big Jenks, but that's about it.

I'm down with taking a CB, but DL is definitely an area that needs to be addressed within the first two rounds IMO.
    Nah I agree. I want DL. My biggest hope throught Thursday will be some type of scenario where Dan Williams falls in the draft.

I just said that because the person I was replying to seemed to insinuate that the Jets would then have a bottom half run defense if we went CB with the first pick. We wouldn't... Not with this system and not with these players.

i get the feeling that the cbs available at 61 won't be that much worse than a mccourtey. i'd rather go DL in the first and see which cbs are there at 61. they may also go safety in the 2nd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i get the feeling that the cbs available at 61 won't be that much worse than a mccourtey. i'd rather go DL in the first and see which cbs are there at 61. they may also go safety in the 2nd.
    +1

My preference is also to go DL in round 1 then CB in round 2.

Dominique Franks, Brandon Ghee, and Chris Cook are a few guys who could be on the board at #61. We're looking for a nickelback, not a starter. Although I guess you could consider a nickel a starter since the NFL has developed into so much of a passing league.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

My preference is also to go DL in round 1 then CB in round 2.

Dominique Franks, Brandon Ghee, and Chris Cook are a few guys who could be on the board at #61. We're looking for a nickelback, not a starter. Although I guess you could consider a nickel a starter since the NFL has developed into so much of a passing league.
    this makes the most sense. the jets will probably take one of hughes, odrick or alualu in round 1, with joseph among the sleepers.

All Pro
    I don't see the Jets NOT taking a CB in the first 2 rounds. It's a huge need. Imagine if one of our starters went down

Plus imagine Lowery in the nickel, oh wait, we don't need to imagine it, we've seen it and it ain't pretty.