Thread: TCU Olineman Marshall Newhouse

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

TCU Olineman Marshall Newhouse

I have read three different articles that states the JETS like this guy.... Can any of the draft experts please provide some insight on him and what round he maybe drafted?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    late... round 6/7 or not at all. developmental guard/right tackle type... better in run than pass. big size.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a fan.

Played LT for TCU. He has the size that could translate to just about any position on the line. He played LT well in college so I'd be surprised if he couldn't make things manage at other spots in the pros. He can handle himself pass blocking and his run blocking isn't bad either. I think he played in the shrine game as well just going off memory. Gonna have to go back and look though because I was only watching TCU games for Daryl Washington and Hughes.

His versatility makes him very interesting.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Versatile offensive lineman? This has Callahan written all over it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I think he played in the shrine game as well just going off memory. .
    again going off of memory i think it was texas v nation. he was ok.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt he'd go so late. He'll probably be a 4th-5th round pick.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    again going off of memory i think it was texas v nation. he was ok.

02/25/2010 - 2010 NFL COMBINE, ALL-COMBINE SURPRISE TEAM: OG - Marshall Newhouse, TCU: Amongst a relatively unathletic group, Newhouse, a former LT, could stand out. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com
    01/20/2010 - EAST-WEST SHRINE RISERS: OG Marshall Newhouse, TCU: He lined up all along the offensive line this week, turning his man out of the hole, setting quickly in pass protection and generally out-working his man whether playing inside or outside. The 6-3, 326-pound former Horned Frog projects to guard at the next level, but scouts value his versatility to slide over to either tackle spot if needed. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    fourth round is likely the latest he goes...could slide into the third...guard talent really drops off after the top three guys....

good size (319lbs) terrific movement skills and a solid athlete...(4.99 HT at the combine, 7.40 three cone, 25 bench)....three year starter at TCU which also says a lot and did a good job every year....needs to improve his functional playing strength...looks sort of like a warthog but gets results....

was at the East/West and looked very athletic and nimble for a big guy during practice....displayed better than expected strength at the point, though there were no big time D-linemen at that event....

I think he's a zone blocking o-lineman that will get better if he's willing to work in the weight room....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    fourth round is likely the latest he goes...could slide into the third...guard talent really drops off after the top three guys....

good size (319lbs) terrific movement skills and a solid athlete...(4.99 HT at the combine, 7.40 three cone, 25 bench)....three year starter at TCU which also says a lot and did a good job every year....needs to improve his functional playing strength...looks sort of like a warthog but gets results....

was at the East/West and looked very athletic and nimble for a big guy during practice....displayed better than expected strength at the point, though there were no big time D-linemen at that event....

I think he's a zone blocking o-lineman that will get better if he's willing to work in the weight room....
    That's what I was thinking. I've heard that he was being graded in the 3rd-5th round range, but from what I've seen of him on film and read on him he looks and sounds like a legit 2nd-4th round prospect that has potential at every position other than center.

The guy was a good LT in college and has the athleticism to continue at the position like Rodger Saffold.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I was thinking. I've heard that he was being graded in the 3rd-5th round range, but from what I've seen of him on film and read on him he looks and sounds like a legit 2nd-4th round prospect that has potential at every position other than center.

The guy was a good LT in college and has the athleticism to continue at the position like Rodger Saffold.
    Saffold has flown up boards....likely to be selected within the first ten picks of round two....ditto for Asamoah.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saffold has flown up boards....likely to be selected within the first ten picks of round two....ditto for Asamoah.....
    I was tinkering with giving Asamoah to the Jets with their 2nd rounder in my lat mock.

I can see one or both of these guys getting a bit over drafted if there is a real run on Oline in the 1st round. A team near the top or middle of the 1st round that puts off getting that needed o-lineman might be scrambling to trade up to get one of the viable guys before they are gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I was tinkering with giving Asamoah to the Jets with their 2nd rounder in my lat mock.

I can see one or both of these guys getting a bit over drafted if there is a real run on Oline in the 1st round. A team near the top or middle of the 1st round that puts off getting that needed o-lineman might be scrambling to trade up to get one of the viable guys before they are gone.
    if Asamoah gets out of the top ten in round two either Denver or New England will swipe him up in the middle of the second- assuming Denver does not pull a surprise @11 which is possible...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your right that is the guy the Raiders are targeting and might go off the board before that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rightfully so... Saffold is a round 2 guy without a doubt. Perhaps round 1 to Indy.

The guy was extremely impressive at the Shrine game and really didnt' let anyone beat him. Showed great quickness getting outside and handled the bigger guys as well.

Not a mauler in the running game but pass blocking is always mroe important from that position.