Thread: With the type of Offense we now have in place; We should go Defense during the Draft.

Banned

With the type of Offense we now have in place; We should go Defense during the Draft.

The Jets were really Handicapped during the offseason, as far as Free Agent signings go, but if the Jets were really handicapped, as a Football fan; I really cant tell.

We've actually gotten much stronger. We've added really solid talent with the talent that we already had in place. As we all know, this was all done before the draft, where we could improve a lot more. Scary to even think about.

I look at Brodney Pool as a downgrade in replace of Kerry Rhodes. Thats why I'm in huge favor of either trading up for Eric Berry, or sitting back and getting lucky if Taylor Mays falls to us.

Losing Donald Strickland was also a loss in my eyes, but after that, it's all been key additions.

Antonio Cromartie is a huge upgrade over Lito Sheppard as our #2 CB playing opposite of Darrelle Revis. Darrelle Revis is the only reason why Cromartie is a #2 CB as of right now. Cromartie could be a #1 CB on just about 22-25+ teams. Rex Ryan and company love this kids Football ability.

Behind our O-Line? I look @ L.T as an upgrade over Thomas Jones for our Offense. L.T can do soo many different types of things as our #2 RB behind Shonn Greene; This could be fun to watch. Not only can L.T pass block as an HB with the best of them, not only can L.T catch out of the backfield, not only will L.T open up the field for other players, but L.T could also have one hell of a season rushing the Football behind our top of the line O-Line.

I look at Santonio Holmes as a major upgrade for Mark Sanchez, as well as our entire Offense. Another two playmakers in place for the 2010 season? Check. Landing Holmes will now allow Jerricho Cotchery to move into the role of our slot WR for the most part. Huge upgrade for the Jets right here.

Getting Leon Washington will become another added bonus next season. Thats another playmaker that we'll have after our 2009 season.

If our Offense can stay healthy next season, We already have an Offense in place, that has the talent, potential, and overall ability to score 30+ points plenty of times.

QB: Mark Sanchez (Young Franchise QB)

RB: Shonn Greene
    RB: L.T
    RB: Leon Washington

FB: Tony Richardson

WR: Braylon Edwards
    WR: Santonio Holmes
    WR: Jerricho Cotchery

TE: Dustin Keller

WR: David Clowney
    WR: Brad Smith

Marty's Boy has one hell of an Offense to work with. Yeah, we now have an Offense that can light up the score boards through the air, but lets not forget... We also have one of the best, if not the best Offensive rushing attack int he game today with Shonn Greene and L.T as our 1-2 punch behind an O-Line thats built to rush the Football.

I just cant wait to see the Jets go 5 wide with Mark Sanchez under center. Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes on the outside, with Jerricho Cotchery and Dustin Keller playing the slot positions, with either L.T, Leon Washington or even Brad Smith running in motion before the snap? Damn.

We could also see the Wildcat Formation about 2-3 times per game with Brad Smith as our X-Factor under center with Shonn Greene on one side, with either L.T or Leon Washington on the other side. We could also see Brad Smith under center with L.T and Leon as our two backs. Heck, we could even see a lot of Leon Washington as our X-Factor under center, with Shonn Greene or L.T with Brad Smith running in motion. Crazy.

Sign me up for going Defense during the 1st two rounds.

FS and OLB,

OLB and DE,

DE and FS,

It doesn't matter... This Defense (Which is already really good) Could become ELITE during the draft.

Lets not forget: You can never have enough LB's when running the 3-4 Defense. Adalius Thomas could be another FA that lands with Rex Ryan and the Jets before it's all said and done with. A.Thomas may not be in his prime as of right now, but he's still an OLB who can get after the passer from the outside.

We could then use with Bryan Thomas in obvious passing situations as our OLB in pass coverage, followed up by a 1-2 punch of Calvin Pace and A.Thomas when rushing the passer. Anything from Vernon Gholston would be an added bonus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Unnecessary

Jets Insider VIP
    D-Rex wants defensive players, everyone knows that. Last year he took all offensive players. He wants a pass rush. He wants another Dlman. He will get what he wants for sure. I disagree with you about Brodney Poole. I think he will be a better fit for the D-rex Jets then rhodes. He is athletci and hots like heck. He covers lots of ground too.

i'm glad someone FINALLY brought this up.

it's not like it has been discussed ad naseum in the Draft Forum for the past few weeks, or anything.

keep up the good work.

All League
    Wow. Seriously, just wow....That was AMAZING how you so succinctly encapsulated TWO MONTHS OF PRE-DRAFT SPECULATION FROM ALL THE RESIDENT DRAFTNIKS!!!

Well done, sir! Glad you finally weighed in on the minor subject of the NFL Draft with your conciese, informed and timely opinion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    The Jets were really Handicapped during the offseason, as far as Free Agent signings go, but if the Jets were really handicapped, as a Football fan; I really cant tell.

We've actually gotten much stronger. We've added really solid talent with the talent that we already had in place. As we all know, this was all done before the draft, where we could improve a lot more. Scary to even think about.

Haven't you heard? Offense is the new defense.

Offense wins championships now.

Veteran
    I'm glad he posted this because honestly I don't know what to expect on Thursday. I mean if I had spent maybe 10 minutes in the draft forum I would've seen all this information with more educated debate and responses but he saved me all that time and effort. I am so thankful for this necessary thread.

Also apparently X-factor is a position?
    Last edited by kdelgado; 04-19-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: DA X-FACTOR

Do you really have to list the roster in every post you make? I'm not trying to give you crap but your posts might be better received if you condensed them a little. We all know who's on the team.

All League
    Thank you Captain Obvious.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miano View Post
    Do you really have to list the roster in every post you make? I'm not trying to give you crap but your posts might be better received if you condensed them a little. We all know who's on the team.
    I don't I need to be reminded of who is on the team all the time otherwise I might forget the players on the team I follow religiously

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post

QB: Mark Sanchez (Young Franchise QB)

RB: Shonn Greene
    RB: L.T
    RB: Leon Washington

FB: Tony Richardson

WR: Braylon Edwards
    WR: Santonio Holmes
    WR: Jerricho Cotchery

TE: Dustin Keller

WR: David Clowney
    WR: Brad Smith

Mind posting the offensive line starters, the back-ups and all defense starters and back-ups too?

I hate having to go back to your other 200 posts to figure out who they are.

All Pro
    With the type of offense and defense the Jets have they should go best available player through out the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    With the type of offense and defense the Jets have they should go best available player through out the draft.
    The best available at a position of need!

Jets Insider VIP
    This post by DWC shows he is already in preseason form. Everyone else better step up their game around here when it comes to posting, or be left behind in his keystroke dust.

*facepalm

I believe we need a running back, and OL depth.

We are not going safety in round 1... Rex doesn't hold that position in high value.

Brodney Pool will be fine as a starter if he can control those migraines, hes more athletic than Rhodes and isn't afraid of contact.

Wouldn't mind us taking another CB so we can match the Colts and Patriots better.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    RB, DE, OR DL.....fine with me.