Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odrick won't be there, Joseph is a reach...

Jets Insider VIP

Odrick won't be there, Joseph is a reach...

...So say hello to Tyson Alualu at #29!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72KQ_NzX8NU

I don't think Alualu is your classic two gapper, but then again Rex doesn't run a traditional 2-gap 3-4.

He wants his DE's to push the pocket and shoot their gaps, not just simply tie up blockers.

Odrick will most likely be gone by #29 and Joseph is more of a mid-2nd round prospect. Alualu on the other hand is steadily creeping into the 1st round everywhere.

Veteran
    Trade back with Clevland and take Joseph!

I'm no draftnik, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Alualu go in the early to mid-20's, before Odrick.

It's important to never base anything on youtube highlights... You choose just about any player and you can make them look extremely good.

Bottom line for me is that Alualu doesn't have great strength.

And the whole "Reach" idea is stupid anyway. It's impossible to know where a player is getting taken, and who cares if he's giong to be a good player anyway.

Odrick sucks and Alualu has a couple flaws.

alualu is exactly the type of eagle scout mangini would have wanted. HIgh motor, very smart, uses leverage etc. Not sure the Jets need that guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

D McCourty/K Jackson @29....

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    I really hope not.... not that they are bad players, I'm actually a big fan of McCourty... but a CB in round 1, with Revis and Cro as our starters... would be VERY dissapointing to me. Actually, CB and WR would be the ONLY positions that would actually piss me off in round 1.

Just no Kareem Jackson in round 1. I've seen enough of him to see that he simply doesn't have the hips to stay with guys in the short area.

His best upside is Lito Sheppard. Physical guy with enough long speed to stay with guys, but never going to become a big time player because he simply doesn't have the hips to stay with guys.

i'll say it again - they're not going cb in round 1 b/c there's not much difference b/t the cbs in round 1 and what would likely be available in round 2. the first pick is a DL pick, ryan takes his suggs.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
    I really hope not.... not that they are bad players, I'm actually a big fan of McCourty... but a CB in round 1, with Revis and Cro as our starters... would be VERY dissapointing to me. Actually, CB and WR would be the ONLY positions that would actually piss me off in round 1.
    1- despite who the starters are the Jets are in desperate need of a good 3rd corner...

2- Cromartie has not been the same player since his hip injury....hopefully he gets back to where he was in '07 but that's a tough injury for anyone- exspecially a corner....

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It's important to never base anything on youtube highlights... You choose just about any player and you can make them look extremely good.

And the whole "Reach" idea is stupid anyway. It's impossible to know where a player is getting taken, and who cares if he's giong to be a good player anyway.

I liked Alualu when i watched youtube highlights, and i was hoping the Jets would get him in the second round, until i watched a real game on him. He is the perfect example of someone who looks great on youtube, but looks really bad on game film.

His strength at the point of attack is not very good and doesn't provide enough of a pass rush to make up for that.

It is also important to realize that you only pick a player if you think he will be good not because he would be a great value pick in the draft. If we could draft Odrick or Cody i still wouldn't do it because they won't be good players. If Everson Griffin, Kyle Wilson, Brian Price, or Jerry Hughes are there then i will take one of them.

Jets Insider VIP

LOL

Why is it that when anyone posts a vid from youtube you immediately assume that's the only place they've seen said player?

Yes, please.

He doesn't have great strength nor does he have first round 3-4 DE size.

I'd take Odrick over him and I'm not a huge Odrick fan. I'd definitely take Joseph over him on the gamble, though I'm not sure I buy Joseph in the first at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

Why is it that when anyone posts a vid from youtube you immediately assume that's the only place they've seen said player?
    I didn't say this person based their opinion on youtube highlights. Just said that it's not great to do so.

LOL.

I know what I watched in games, Alualu doesn't have the strength necessary to become a big time player.

All Pro
    1- despite who the starters are the Jets are in desperate need of a good 3rd corner...

2- Cromartie has not been the same player since his hip injury....hopefully he gets back to where he was in '07 but that's a tough injury for anyone- exspecially a corner....
    I hear you, but we didn't give up a potentially high draft pick next year on a 1 year flyer. Cromartie is likely here to stay so a Jackson (who i love too btw) would be probably relegated to 3rd corner indefinitely. which is fine if he did cost us a 1st rnd pick. thats lame.

His counterpart (nearly as good too) arenas will be there in 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th for us. Same with Murphy. we don't need a 1st round 3rd CB

I refuse to believe that Cromartie can't be the same because of a hip injury I don't even think he had surgery for.

All Pro
    Just no Kareem Jackson in round 1. I've seen enough of him to see that he simply doesn't have the hips to stay with guys in the short area.

His best upside is Lito Sheppard. Physical guy with enough long speed to stay with guys, but never going to become a big time player because he simply doesn't have the hips to stay with guys.
    A healthy Lito Sheppard as your third corner is pretty nasty... Lito has never been healthy in recent years which has been his biggest problem and remember, he was our second starter last season...

Jackson plays very good bump and run and he will maul receivers at the line. Something Dwight Lowery just can't even though our style of defense asks for it. I would like either CB Rex selects in the first because he knows his stuff...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I refuse to believe that Cromartie can't be the same because of a hip injury I don't even think he had surgery for.
    so don't believe it....fact is he's not come near his level of play prior to the injury....not all fractures. slight or otherwise, require surgery to believe...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I hear you, but we didn't give up a potentially high draft pick next year on a 1 year flyer. Cromartie is likely here to stay so a Jackson (who i love too btw) would be probably relegated to 3rd corner indefinitely. which is fine if he did cost us a 1st rnd pick. thats lame.

His counterpart (nearly as good too) arenas will be there in 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th for us. Same with Murphy. we don't need a 1st round 3rd CB
    it was a conditional pick for a reason.....the Jets are in big need of numbers at the corner position....I would not select murphy for a number of reasons, including I don't like the tint of gold he uses on his teeth...