Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Taylor Signing Virtually Guarantees A Trade Up...

Jason Taylor Signing Virtually Guarantees A Trade Up...

The Jet Defense was just two pieces away from being really good to dominating.
    They have the dominant NT, the solid LB corp, two shut down corners...
    The Jets believe they filled one weakness: a pass rushing DE, with Jason Taylor, who Rex was desperate to get.
    But one glaring weakness remains...
    The Jets are weak at safety: no Rhodes, and another safety with a concussion history (Pool).
    A hard hitting playmaking safety ala Ed Reed,everything Kerry wasn't, could turn this D into an elite Rex Ryan Ravens-type SB-winning D...
    With the Jets and Tanny loving the spotlight, I predict they trade most of their picks (and next years 1st) to move up to grab Tenn Safety Eric Berry...
    It's going to be a short draft for the Jets this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    I can't say I'd be in favor of it, but at the same time I wouldn't be pissed.

I've said before that there are only two players I would trade up for, Ndamukong Suh and Eric Berry.

Berry is the best safety prospect to roll down the pike since Sean Taylor IMO. The closest thing to Ed Reed this side of, well...Ed Reed.

i wouldn't be shocked if we moved up to 10 in a swap with the jags.

All Pro
    Bah, trading up for Berry is ludicrous.. Lu-di-crous. Good bye 2010 draft picks. good bye 2011 draft picks.. You do realize we'll have to let some of this veterans go right? We need to get bodies in here.

All this taylor move does, is once again fortify us even further as a team that can take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

I'm thinking it may mean we'll go McCourty at 29.

i don't necessarily agree, we still need somebody in the secondary, a DE and an OG.

i think with our top pick we'll be hoping to get either iupati, pouncey, mccourty or odrick. i'm thinking one of them will be there at 29...

All Pro
    i guarantee it's not mccourty.

Amazing how many ppl don't want mays but they want other players with just as many flaws in their game.

Berry would be amazing, but I see us standing pat this year. I don't think they're looking to dish out top 10 money to yet another draft pick.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Jason Taylor says he only had one offer

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 20, 2010 9:21 PM ET
    In a sad, small news conference Tuesday night, Jason Taylor said he had no choice but to leave the Dolphins for the New York Jets.

"This is the only offer. There is no other offer," Taylor told the Miami media.

Taylor admitted that he had a contract extension offered to him from Bill Parcells last November and passed on the deal.

"It wasn't the right time," Taylor said. "If I was important enough in November, why don't you want me now? I'm better now. My shoulder works now."

Taylor seemed to have bitterness towards the Big Tuna. "What is a Parcells guy? I always felt like I was a Tony guy."

There was some debate about how much the Dolphins wanted Taylor back. Dan LeBatard credited a source on 790 the Ticket that Taylor did have a contract offer this offseason. Taylor's agent disputed that.

"If we had a contract offer from the Dolphins, Jason Taylor would have signed it. . . . I promise you, he would be a Miami Dolphin," agent Gary Wichard said.

In theory, Wichard was on air for damage control purposes in the Miami. It was clearly a difficult decision for Taylor. But we wonder how these comments will play in in New York:

"He's not happy like he would be if he signed with the Dolphins," Wichard said. "But he's going to make the most of it because he wants to play football and be very, very happy. Because that's where he really wants to be."

THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF>>>>>>>we should now trade taylor for a pick he does not want to be here and it is obvious

Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    Jason Taylor says he only had one offer

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 20, 2010 9:21 PM ET
    In a sad, small news conference Tuesday night, Jason Taylor said he had no choice but to leave the Dolphins for the New York Jets.

"This is the only offer. There is no other offer," Taylor told the Miami media.

Taylor admitted that he had a contract extension offered to him from Bill Parcells last November and passed on the deal.

"It wasn't the right time," Taylor said. "If I was important enough in November, why don't you want me now? I'm better now. My shoulder works now."

Taylor seemed to have bitterness towards the Big Tuna. "What is a Parcells guy? I always felt like I was a Tony guy."

There was some debate about how much the Dolphins wanted Taylor back. Dan LeBatard credited a source on 790 the Ticket that Taylor did have a contract offer this offseason. Taylor's agent disputed that.

"If we had a contract offer from the Dolphins, Jason Taylor would have signed it. . . . I promise you, he would be a Miami Dolphin," agent Gary Wichard said.

In theory, Wichard was on air for damage control purposes in the Miami. It was clearly a difficult decision for Taylor. But we wonder how these comments will play in in New York:

"He's not happy like he would be if he signed with the Dolphins," Wichard said. "But he's going to make the most of it because he wants to play football and be very, very happy. Because that's where he really wants to be."

THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF>>>>>>>we should now trade taylor for a pick he does not want to be here and it is obvious
    A few weeks with Rex/Pettine and this Jets defense and you'll see comments from Taylor saying how great it is to be a Jet... just wait...

Veteran
    The Jets aren't trading up for Berry -- absolutely zero percent chance. To get into the top 10 from #29 would literally cost you two drafts worth of players. There's no way this happens. Now, if you want to talk moving up from #29 to say #18, now that's feasible. But #29 to 7, 8, or 9 is almost impossible.

If the Jets move up for a safety, it won't be for Berry. It'll be for Earl Thomas, as he's a far cheaper alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    The Jet Defense was just two pieces away from being really good to dominating.
    They have the dominant NT, the solid LB corp, two shut down corners...
    The Jets believe they filled one weakness: a pass rushing DE, with Jason Taylor, who Rex was desperate to get.
    But one glaring weakness remains...
    The Jets are weak at safety: no Rhodes, and another safety with a concussion history (Pool).
    A hard hitting playmaking safety ala Ed Reed,everything Kerry wasn't, could turn this D into an elite Rex Ryan Ravens-type SB-winning D...
    With the Jets and Tanny loving the spotlight, I predict they trade most of their picks (and next years 1st) to move up to grab Tenn Safety Eric Berry...
    It's going to be a short draft for the Jets this year.
    Not a chance....Jets also need another CB, if not 2, another DL. No way Tanny does a Ditka and trades his whole draft for 1 player.

All Pro
    i almost can't wait until the friday so we can stop seeing these "we must trade up for Eric Berry" threads.

There is huge value in Safeties in round 2...at least 4 guys will be in the mix. Seriously...there is no way the Jets are trading up for Eric Berry and there is no reason to trade up for Earl Thomas when you can pick between some of:

Nate Allen
    Morgan Burnett
    Chad Jones
    Reshad Jones

at the bottom of round 2.

Personally, I like Burnett but he might go before 61. I'd be far happier with a small tradeup to grab him or Allen than any tradeup from 29.

I'd love to walk away from the draft with Berry but the truth of the matter is, sitting at 29 it will just cost too much to move up that far. If Berry slips down the draft board then the possibility would open up but if he stays top 10 we are all but out of it.

If anything, getting Taylor gives us better flexibility to trade down because it's one less immediate hole to fill.

I don't see a trade up unless it's like a few spots. Nothing big. The Jets VP of scouting...Clinkscales? when asked yesterday didn't sound like they really wanted to trade up unless someone they really liked was right there. But trading down was definietly a strong possiblity. He sounded to really like Odrick. Well only one more day.

Veteran
    Nothing guarantees anything with Mr T and the draft, especially not a one year fix pass rusher. No offense, but, other than the Gholston move(in which his hand was forced) which move did you expect?

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree, Berry is the pick. Tune in early.

The Jets are crap. Total garbage. Their secondary stinks. Worst safeties in the league. No quality depth at CBs. A laughable team.
    Listen to some of you. It's the BEST secondary in the NFL. And it's improved.
    Moving up to 6 or 7 will cost - a 1, 2, 4 and next year's 1.
    Mike Ditka did something like that once. How'd that work out? Ryan Leaf was supposed to be better than Manning. How'd that work out?
    Everyone is worried about pass defense when the weakness of the Jets is RUN defense.
    Hopefully, the staff will go DE in the first. It now looks like no OLB so a CB is also needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I agree, Berry is the pick. Tune in early.
    unless he drops to #15 or later, not a chance in helll