Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jason Taylor Signing Virtually Guarantees A Trade Up...

Quote Originally Posted by kennedy fried Toon View Post
    I may be in the minority that do not see the Jets taking a safety in the first two rounds. Revolving safety group with Ihedigbo and Smith playing running downs and Poole coming in on passing situations.
    i keep reading that generally, safety is not a premiere position in rex's defense. if he loves cbs and pass rushers, that's where the draft focus will be. as for tanny, he tends to draft the most important positions with his high picks - qb, lt, cb, rush olb. in late first round he's taken keller and mangold. so if you cross-reference tanny's tendencies with rex's priorities, you do not get safety early.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i keep reading that generally, safety is not a premiere position in rex's defense. if he loves cbs and pass rushers, that's where the draft focus will be. as for tanny, he tends to draft the most important positions with his high picks - qb, lt, cb, rush olb. in late first round he's taken keller and mangold. so if you cross-reference tanny's tendencies with rex's priorities, you do not get safety early.
    agreed. he just happend to have a world-class safety in Reed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    If we trade up for Iupati or Pouncey, so we can cut Faneca, this will be one of the worst drafts moves every by franchise that is considered superbowl ready... and i love Pouncey.

We stand to gain nothing by doing so. Nothing. In an uncapped year, pushing for a superbowl win, swapping in either rookie for faneca does not improve our team or chances of a championship. Fail.
    Add to that that the Jets would still have to pay Faneca $5.2 million if they cut him.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

And I don't view anything Cimini writes as confirmation. He's talking out his ass when he speaks about cutting players.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

CBTNY....Have you heard any grumblings which would give any credence to the Faneca and Ellis rumors? Perhaps some prospects which the Jets may have high on their draftboard?
    better than 50-50 on Faneca....I know the agent very well- spoke with him in February when people said the Jets would seek a paycut from Faneca and he said, "no way"...yesterday I asked him about the report and he said "it wouldn't surprise me" pointing to the release of Delhomme by Carolina...

heard nothing on Ellis....the Jets, specifically Bill Callahan, loves Pouncey....after that it's McCourty/K Jackson @29...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Add to that that the Jets would still have to pay Faneca $5.2 million if they cut him.
    off set by the $$ amount paid to him by whichever team signs him....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the Jets, specifically Bill Callahan, loves Pouncey....after that it's McCourty/K Jackson @29...
    thanks for the tidbit, I was waiting to hear from you... and I'm glad you're hearing it's a lineman

better than 50-50 on Faneca....I know the agent very well- spoke with him in February when people said the Jets would seek a paycut from Faneca and he said, "no way"...yesterday I asked him about the report and he said "it wouldn't surprise me" pointing to the release of Delhomme by Carolina...

heard nothing on Ellis....the Jets, specifically Bill Callahan, loves Pouncey....after that it's McCourty/K Jackson @29...
    Thanks. I can see Faneca being cut. If my memory serves me correctly Woody is a well established RG as well as RT and Hunter/Turner can both play RT. Would not be suprised to see Woody moved back inside and one of the two younger O-lineman being moved outside. They both already have experience playing outisde in that jumbo formation.

Ellis...I cannot wrap my head around that one. Let him keep his money, more than deserves it, and I am sure that he will resign in next years offseason to remain a Jet and finish his career on the best defensive unit in the leauge.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Thanks. I can see Faneca being cut. If my memory serves me correctly Woody is a well established RG as well as RT and Hunter/Turner can both play RT. Would not be suprised to see Woody moved back inside and one of the two younger O-lineman being moved outside. They both already have experience playing outisde in that jumbo formation.

Ellis...I cannot wrap my head around that one. Let him keep his money, more than deserves it, and I am sure that he will resign in next years offseason to remain a Jet and finish his career on the best defensive unit in the leauge.
    you start changing two starters or switch two positions on an offensive line that was pretty good and nothing but bad can come from it....

Banned
    I think they keep there spot and take mays

Quote Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
    thanks for the tidbit, I was waiting to hear from you... and I'm glad you're hearing it's a lineman
    but if pouncey is gone... the jets are likely going cb? sounds like a legit option and a clear value pick.

you start changing two starters or switch two positions on an offensive line that was pretty good and nothing but bad can come from it....
    I agree. Unfortunately, I do no run this franchise. Faneca still plays at a high level and provides much needed veteran leadership in a lockerroom with a lot of new albeit troubled personalities on the offensive side of the ball. With the addition of LT, Faneca will be a critical clog in the screen game.

i feel the same..........

Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    The Jet Defense was just two pieces away from being really good to dominating.
    They have the dominant NT, the solid LB corp, two shut down corners...
    The Jets believe they filled one weakness: a pass rushing DE, with Jason Taylor, who Rex was desperate to get.
    But one glaring weakness remains...
    The Jets are weak at safety: no Rhodes, and another safety with a concussion history (Pool).
    A hard hitting playmaking safety ala Ed Reed,everything Kerry wasn't, could turn this D into an elite Rex Ryan Ravens-type SB-winning D...
    With the Jets and Tanny loving the spotlight, I predict they trade most of their picks (and next years 1st) to move up to grab Tenn Safety Eric Berry...
    It's going to be a short draft for the Jets this year.
    and i think its going to be with washington, and gholston will be part of that trade.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I agree. Unfortunately, I do no run this franchise. Faneca still plays at a high level and provides much needed veteran leadership in a lockerroom with a lot of new albeit troubled personalities on the offensive side of the ball. With the addition of LT, Faneca will be a critical clog in the screen game.
    for whatever portion of Faneca's game has slipped the leadership he's provided as well as the continuity and helping develop Ferguson and Mangold cannot be measured.....two years ago people were starting to call Ferguson as bust and now he's nothing less than a tremendous pass blocking left tackle....much of that has to do with Faneca...

if its' a dollar and cents move it's just dumb....

for whatever portion of Faneca's game has slipped the leadership he's provided as well as the continuity and helping develop Ferguson and Mangold cannot be measured.....two years ago people were starting to call Ferguson as bust and now he's nothing less than a tremendous pass blocking left tackle....much of that has to do with Faneca...

if its' a dollar and cents move it's just dumb....
    Great points. Did not even think of connecting the development of those two players to Faneca. Watching highlights of last season it becomes difficult to remember how much heat Ferguson took for his run blocking or lackthereof. The Charger AFC Divisonal game sticks out in my mind as the Jets ran to the left all game despite the Chargers weakpoint on the defensive side was to the right.

I would actually like to see Ferguson extended before Mangold. I have no doubt Tanny will sign both but Ferguson has become a monster on the outside and is still growing into his frame.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    The Jet Defense was just two pieces away from being really good to dominating.
    They have the dominant NT, the solid LB corp, two shut down corners...
    The Jets believe they filled one weakness: a pass rushing DE, with Jason Taylor, who Rex was desperate to get.
    But one glaring weakness remains...
    The Jets are weak at safety: no Rhodes, and another safety with a concussion history (Pool).
    A hard hitting playmaking safety ala Ed Reed,everything Kerry wasn't, could turn this D into an elite Rex Ryan Ravens-type SB-winning D...
    With the Jets and Tanny loving the spotlight, I predict they trade most of their picks (and next years 1st) to move up to grab Tenn Safety Eric Berry...
    It's going to be a short draft for the Jets this year.
    I dont see it happening.

The jets still need:

1 #1 DE
    2 CB/nickle&dime
    3 Backup NT
    4 LB
    5 S

Jets Insider VIP
    off set by the $$ amount paid to him by whichever team signs him....
    True.

But as you mentioned in another thread, he could sign for $1 million and the Jets would have to pay the rest.

Makes no sense financially or football wise to cut Faneca.

Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    and i think its going to be with washington, and gholston will be part of that trade.
    What team is going to trade for a RB that has just started to run in a straight line?

He can't even cut yet. He couldn't pass a teams physical.

My followup to Lombardi after Rex's below comments...

Sent: Wed 4/21/10 12:04 PM

ask any team in the NFL they are trying to trade him, even Faneca's agent knows it..

Rex on Faneca/Ellis rumors:"Whatever. Nice report...Iím not going 2 speculate on somebody throwing out a story with no validity"

http://twitter.com/ManishMehta1

NOT BERRY BUT We will have to move up in order to get

I can see the Jets trading up to pick #10 for Safety Thomas, NOT Berry!

Thomas = versatility and can play both S and CB!!!

BTW, rumor is Cowboys will trade up with jags at 10 for Thomas!

OR Jets would have to move up in front of pick 18 to get OG/C Pouncey - he will not be on the board at #29

OR stay put and go CB McCourtey from Rutgers, plays good bump n run.

FWIW, I also think Jets will get AThomas (from Patsies) eventually and cut OLB/DE Golsthon (spelling?)

Jets will trade up and only draft 4 picks BPA (not in any order):
    1=OL (G/RT), 2+3=DBs(CB,S), 4=DE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I can see the Jets trading up to pick #10 for Safety Thomas, NOT Berry!

Thomas = versatility and can play both S and CB!!!

BTW, rumor is Cowboys will trade up with jags at 10 for Thomas!

OR Jets would have to move up in front of pick 18 to get OG/C Pouncey - he will not be on the board at #29

OR stay put and go CB McCourtey from Rutgers, plays good bump n run.

FWIW, I also think Jets will get AThomas (from Patsies) eventually and cut OLB/DE Golsthon (spelling?)

Jets will trade up and only draft 4 picks BPA (not in any order):
    1=OL (G/RT), 2+3=DBs(CB,S), 4=DE

I love you (in a non-Brokeback Mountain way)

Earl Thomas is my favorite player in this draft.

Earl Thomas is the truth.