Thread: PFT: Cowboys trade up for Earl Thomas?

All League

PFT: Cowboys trade up for Earl Thomas?

Cowboys interested in trade with 49ers for 13th overall pick

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 21, 2010 1:10 PM ET
    With 30 hours to go before the NFL draft begins, trade rumors are heating up. And the latest has the Dallas Cowboys interested in acquiring the 13th overall pick from the San Francisco 49ers.

Matt Maiocco of the Press Democrat reports that the Cowboys are interested in moving up to 13 to select defensive back Earl Thomas of Texas.

Most mock drafts have Thomas still available at 13 but gone before the Cowboys pick at 27, so if the Cowboys are enamored with Thomas, moving up to 13 would make sense.

The 49ers could also take Thomas at 13 themselves, although most reports indicate they're more interested in Florida's Joe Haden there.

Permalink 0 Comments Latest stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
    It doesn't have to do with us, but I thought it was interesting at least for your draft boards and projections. Looks like Earl Thomas won't make it out of the top 15.

And this is awesome, I just saw it on ESPN.com. Gruden with Earl Thomas:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=512...goryid=2459789

I think there is going to be a ton of moving around and trades, get the right trade or the right unexpected pick at the top of the draft and the thing will fall like dominos.

The more I think about it the more I like a trade down idea for the Jets (obviously would have to wait until our pick comes up in case a prime player drops.)

Veteran
    Hopefully it is the Cowboys. I'm hoping the Dolphins aren't able to find anyone to trade back with -- the more unfilled holes they have the better.

If teams start trading around like crazy on Thursday this draft could get really interesting. This years class looks like a pretty deep draft so some quality guys could start to slip.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think there is going to be a ton of moving around and trades, get the right trade or the right unexpected pick at the top of the draft and the thing will fall like dominos.

The more I think about it the more I like a trade down idea for the Jets (obviously would have to wait until our pick comes up in case a prime player drops.)
    Definitely agree with that.

I think the Jets floated the rumor about Ellis, Faneca and Thomas because they're willing to deal but they don't have a lot of picks. On top of that, I think they believe either DL(Odrick, etc), OLB(Hughes, Kindle, Graham) or G(Pouncey) could be available at 29 thus making these 3 players expendable.

Regardless, I'd like to keep Ellis and Faneca (even if he's a liability in pass protection) because they're veteran, tough and physical players at the point of attack on both lines.

But trading back seems like a smart move because we've got shed some contracts after this year if we want to pay Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris and one of the three recent acquisitions (Holmes, Edwards or Cromartie, with my preference being singing Cromartie and tagging whichever receiver plays better this year, letting the other walk).

Slide back, pickup a third and take OLB/DL/OL/CB in the first four rounds depending on how the board falls. You could also take a RB if one drops and maybe move Leon.

Either way, we should use this deep draft to plug in a lot of youth around the "soon to be geriatric" spots on the team. After we make our run this year, however we do, we can then dump some vets in those spots and have someone with a year in the system at least behind them.

Mike Mayock believes Earl Thomasl is the Ed Reed of this draft. His words.

Earl Thomas is the #1 player on my NYJ draft board.

All Pro
    Tannenbaum is going to be twitching like a basehead to move up in this draft, you know it's going to be hard to contain him, lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Tannenbaum is going to be twitching like a basehead to move up in this draft, you know it's going to be hard to contain him, lol!!
    hilarious

Jets Insider VIP
    Well, its a good thing Thomas isnt on our board. But eric Berry is and we will be trading up in the top 6 to get him.

Woooooooooo. Hoooooooooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Well, its a good thing Thomas isnt on our board. But eric Berry is and we will be trading up in the top 6 to get him.

yes. Being a member in the war room, you would know this.

Put the pipe down

after Suh, Earl Thomas is my favorite player in this draft.

he is the only player i wouldn't mind sacrificing a 2011 pick, to trade up for.

he looks like Ed Reed.

side note: Gruden just gave him an education

Veteran

Where do you get that Eric Berry is "on our board" but "Thomas isn't"?

The Jets have showed no interest in Berry -- what makes you think he's even on their board?