Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I going insane, or are you guys?? Revis & Cromartie are Jets right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Five cornerbacks are going before we pick? Haden, Wilson and who else?

McCourtney? We won't be picking the 5th or 6th best CB at 29. More like the 3rd best, possibly 4th at worst....
    Well by your logic, the first 28 picks will all be CBs, cause no one has two #1 CBs, let alone 3...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Your analogy with Clausen doesn't work because only one QB is on the field at a given time, whereas you can have up to 8 defensive backs on the field at a given time.

People like me are clamoring for CB for a variety of reasons, including the following:

1) This is a deep year for OLB/Pass Rushers. Odds are there's going to be one of the many available at #61.

**Guess what, it's just as deep for Cornerbacks

2) 34 Defensive Ends can be found in rounds 3-7. We're not asking our defensive linemen to be Richard Seymour, we're asking them to push the pocket and to occupy blockers -- hardly worth a first rounder.

Guess what, the same can be said for cornerbacks. we're looking for someone to cover 3rd, 4th WRs. those guys are avaible in.. you guessed, past the 1st round.

3) Reaching for a Safety in round one (hint, hint: Taylor Mays) is unnecessary as you can find good values in mid-to-late rounds.

Lets' leave mays outta this , I'm alright with alot of other players.

4) Teams like the Colts are stacked with pass catchers (Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Dallas Clark, Gonzalez) and it's wise to have the depth in the secondary to defend them since the AFC likely goes through them.

5) Rex likes to dress up to 10 DBs on gameday, and as of right now we don't have 10 DBs that I'm comfortable playing at all. If there's a spot on this roster for Drew Coleman, you know you're not good deep enough at CB.

6) Cromartie is on a one year deal, what if he doesn't resign next year? Then Lowery is our #2 for 2011? What if he becomes this year's Lito Sheppard instead of the Cromartie from 2007?

For points 4-6, see previous posts re: defensive scheming, every team has JAGs, and Cromartie is going no where in 2011

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

So we need a third #1 CB to cover everybody's #3 WR. Thats what you guys are saying. a 2nd Round Corner won't cut it. nor a 4th rounder etc. We need to spent the maximum amount on CBs.

Did you see what Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon did to our #3 corner?

Just because other teams don't have 3 good corners, we shouldn't either? Makes no sense.

No other team in the league relies on their corners to play man coverage with no deep help as much as we do.

I'd be fine with going corner in the 2nd or even the 4th, but I do feel it's a need.
    Last edited by New Jerzey Jet; 04-21-2010 at 04:14 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    those weren't our #3 cover options.. c'mon man.

Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    No other team in the league relies on their corners to play man coverage with no deep help as much as we do.
    Well that takes McCourty out of the picture then. He gets burned routinely on man coverage in deep passes... ppl need to do their homework.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    "We're not taking a quarterback!!!" April 2009

I don't think anyone is saying that we're "definitely" taking a corner, but how can you definitely rule it out?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well by your logic, the first 28 picks will all be CBs, cause no one has two #1 CBs, let alone 3...
    Good corners are more difficult to find outside of round one than 3-4defensive ends, plain and simple.

It's not about having three #1 corners -- it's about having at least 3 cornerbacks who can play without embarrassing themselves, and right now we only have two. Lowery should be nothing more than a #4 cornerback on this team, especially when you weigh the value Rex places in his cornerbacks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the world of defensive scheming. If everyone needed another #1 CB ontop of having REVIS & CROMARTIE to cover the Garcon's of the league, then rounds 1 thru 3 would all be corners. it would be called the 2010 Corner draft.
    Your opinion is almost entirely based on an assumption that Cromartie will be back in 2011, but we don't really have all that much of a reason to feel that way. If Tannenbaum felt that Cromartie was definitely the answer for us across from Revis, he would have tried to lock him up already. Nevermind, the obvious of even if he plays great, can we afford to pay both him and Revis elite CB money? Essentially, all we've signed on for with Cromartie is a 1 year trial.

Maybe we keep him, but you don't know that. There's as much football concerns with him as there is off the field concerns.

This team is blessed with the luxury of not having any glaring needs, they are in a position where they can go almost pure BPA. If that best player is a Cornerback like McCourty (A very plausible scenario), there is a role where he can play on this team (Nickle Corner, which will get plenty of playing time against 3 WR sets), and he has the potential to step into a bigger role down the line should we opt not to keep Cromartie.

Is it a little bit of overkill? Perhaps. But when you don't have glaring needs, you could make an argument for just about any conceivable pick being a little bit of overkill. Rex isn't happy having just the #1 defense in the league. He wants a defense that can rival the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Ravens. He wants a Defense that can shut a Peyton Manning down in his tracks. A selection like this could go a long way towards making it happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    those weren't our #3 cover options.. c'mon man.

Well that takes McCourty out of the picture then. He gets burned routinely on man coverage in deep passes... ppl need to do their homework.
    No need to be insulting because people disagree with you.

You were falling all over yourself last year to get Pettigrew in the 1st round when we had a #1 pass catching TE, almost never played 2 TE sets and the likely use of a TE would be mostly for blocking. Talk about trumpeting a non need.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    "We're not taking a quarterback!!!" April 2009

I don't think anyone is saying that we're "definitely" taking a corner, but how can you definitely rule it out?
    Shhhh. keep that talk outta here, i'll have a revolt on my hands!! Oh wait, i already do.

I didn't rule trading, but taking one at #17 last year was not gonna happen.

I can't definitely rule it out. If wilson was there, we'd take him. But i can't see him falling that far.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get you Dise but I'm with agreement with the other posters.

Had we drafted a CB high last season (along with our the picks we did take) we very well could have been in the Superbowl last season, think about that, SUPER BOWL. Despite adding Cro, CB is a big need for us.

Think about it this way too. Game 1, Revis goes down, torn ACL (knoced on wood, no jinx), is there any other non-QB position that would freak you out more to have hurt?

I believe very very deeply that one of the Jets first two picks will be a CB. I prefer to restock O or D line at 29 and take a CB in the second but can certainly see the argument to go CB if there is value in the first.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No need to be insulting because people disagree with you.

You were falling all over yourself last year to get Pettigrew in the 1st round when we had a #1 pass catching TE, almost never played 2 TE sets and the likely use of a TE would be mostly for blocking. Talk about trumpeting a non need.
    I wasn't being insulting, thats the truth. there's a ton of misconception about McCourty's strengths. before trumpeting about taking him, people should do their homework on what kind of corner he is.

And yes, there's some commonalities in the Pettigrew discussion, except that Keller was looked at basically a flex WR, and Pettigrew brought a blocking/receiver dynamic to our ground and pound identity that made sense. It was predicated on the idea that we switch to a 2 TE formation, which would mean that we would NEED a guy like Pettigrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Is it a little bit of overkill? Perhaps. But when you don't have glaring needs, you could make an argument for just about any conceivable pick being a little bit of overkill. Rex isn't happy having just the #1 defense in the league. He wants a defense that can rival the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Ravens. He wants a Defense that can shut a Peyton Manning down in his tracks. A selection like this could go a long way towards making it happen.
    well obviously you make good points, and there's reason to take a CB if he is the BPA. i can't see that happening, the Corners that will be there, being the BPA that is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand the wish to go CB in the first round if it's based solely on the presumption that Cromartie will likely be a one and done signing. What I can't understand is the feeling that we need a #1 type of CB because we got sliced up by the Colt receivers. Last time I checked, the Saints didn't have any wonderful CBs patrolling their secondary, and that worked out pretty well for them against Indy. I think the pass rush they were able to generate without the use of sellout 6-7 man blitzes had something to do with that, but I could be wrong.

If it's not a reach, the Jets should go for the best 3-4 DE available, thereby allowing the rush OLBs better (read: 1on1) blitz opportunities. That will help us shutdown a team's third option at WR because the QB won't have time to check down to him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why not go CB if a guy we really like is there..CB is a pretty premium position, and we have 2 guys and little else......I have a feeling we get Jackson from Alabama, Rex loves his cb's

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I can understand the wish to go CB in the first round if it's based solely on the presumption that Cromartie will likely be a one and done signing. What I can't understand is the feeling that we need a #1 type of CB because we got sliced up by the Colt receivers. Last time I checked, the Saints didn't have any wonderful CBs patrolling their secondary, and that worked out pretty well for them against Indy. I think the pass rush they were able to generate without the use of sellout 6-7 man blitzes had something to do with that, but I could be wrong.
    I would argue it had more to do with Peyton Manning bringing his C- game to the table then anything the Saints did.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter are very good corners. And they also drafted a Jenkins in the 1st lat year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I would argue it had more to do with Peyton Manning bringing his C- game to the table then anything the Saints did.
    And I would argue otherwise as 31-45 333 1 1 is hardly a 'C-' game.

Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter are very good corners. And they also drafted a Jenkins in the 1st lat year.
    They are a talented group, without a shutdown player among them, so they are far from "very good". In fact, I don't think one of them started close to a full season.

It was the DL and LB play that led to the success of the NO defense, and the same must be true for the Jets next year. The notion that they need an All-Star nickel lineup for a elite defense is ill-conceived, imho.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't being insulting, thats the truth. there's a ton of misconception about McCourty's strengths.

Uh yeah you were, any CB that has no strength in man to man is not work crap anyway, you have to cover even if you are playing a lot of zone/cover two you get those guys, ie Dwight Lowrey in the 4th round.

I'd dare say, you me or any of the other people on this forum could call out another member and tell them to 'Do their homework' on a player or players. That was a suspect counter on your part.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

They are a talented group, without a shutdown player among them, so they are far from "very good". In fact, I don't think one of them started close to a full season.

It was the DL and LB play that led to the success of the NO defense, and the same must be true for the Jets next year. The notion that they need an All-Star nickel lineup for a elite defense is ill-conceived, imho.
    I fully agree that we need a pass rusher more than a Cb, no question in my mind and you don't need an elite level nickel but you do need a good nickel, not someone that is going to just get slaughtered out there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you saw some of the windows he had that he didn't capitalize on, I'd argue it should have been much worse.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We definitely need help at CB but you don't draft your #3/#4 CB in the first round. I still think we go DT/DE with our first pick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been ranting all morning, but lets talk about this..

New York Jets Starting Corners.

D. Revis.... Best corner in the league. The best.
    A. Cromartie... Physical freak that in our man coverage system has HUGE potential.

Outside of maybe CIN, what the hell team has anything in the same universe as us. not the same league, universe.
    75% of the league are starting total JAGs as their 2nd Corner. JAGs.

People are complaining we have JAGs as depth... EVERYONE has JAGs as depth. We`ve got the consensus best secondary in the NFL, and people want to spend our 1st pick on a Corner.. Oh. My. God.
    Hey why not take Clausen then too. I mean if sanchez gets hurt, we better have a freaking stud to replace him.

We could some help, and i`m not opposed to drafting a corner at some point, but for the love of pete people. We got other areas to address with our 1st pick. Remember when we got cromartie and it was decided that we don`t need to go CB in the first... no, no one remember that. Now we got people speculating that we doing everything in our power to get McCourty. Good god.
    The bashers are jealous. They're hoping, no - PRAYING that the duo don't live up to their potential.

You're right that most corners are JAGs. Luckily ours are not. Our #2 would be #1 on almost every other team (except teams like...ours).