Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I going insane, or are you guys?? Revis & Cromartie are Jets right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I going insane, or are you guys?? Revis & Cromartie are Jets right?

I`ve been ranting all morning, but lets talk about this..

New York Jets Starting Corners.

D. Revis.... Best corner in the league. The best.
    A. Cromartie... Physical freak that in our man coverage system has HUGE potential.

Outside of maybe CIN, what the hell team has anything in the same universe as us. not the same league, universe.
    75% of the league are starting total JAGs as their 2nd Corner. JAGs.

People are complaining we have JAGs as depth... EVERYONE has JAGs as depth. We`ve got the consensus best secondary in the NFL, and people want to spend our 1st pick on a Corner.. Oh. My. God.
    Hey why not take Clausen then too. I mean if sanchez gets hurt, we better have a freaking stud to replace him.

We could some help, and i`m not opposed to drafting a corner at some point, but for the love of pete people. We got other areas to address with our 1st pick. Remember when we got cromartie and it was decided that we don`t need to go CB in the first... no, no one remember that. Now we got people speculating that we doing everything in our power to get McCourty. Good god.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-21-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is the case, why do you want the Jets to take Dez Bryant if he's available at 29?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

We could some help, and i`m not opposed to drafting a corner at some point, but for the love of pete people. We got other areas to address with our 1st pick. Remember when we got cromartie and it was decided that we don`t need to go CB in the first... no, no one remember that. Now we got people speculating that we doing everything in our power to get McCourty. Good god.
    Decided by whom? By you? By Tanny/Rex? Tanny came out and said that the Jets would have HAD to go CB if we didn't get Cro....he didn't say that we weren't still going CB now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What realistic option at 29 would come in day 1 and start on this team? Anyone we pick at 29 is depth, regardless of position.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

A. Cromartie... Physical freak that in our man coverage system has HUGE potential.

Outside of maybe CIN, what the hell team has anything in the same universe as us. not the same league, universe.

People are complaining we have JAGs as depth... EVERYONE has JAGs as depth. We`ve got the consensus best secondary in the NFL, and people want to spend our 1st pick on a Corner.. Oh. My. God.
    Hey why not take Clausen then too. I mean if sanchez gets hurt, we better have a freaking stud to replace him.

Your analogy with Clausen doesn't work because only one QB is on the field at a given time, whereas you can have up to 8 defensive backs on the field at a given time.

People like me are clamoring for CB for a variety of reasons, including the following:

1) This is a deep year for OLB/Pass Rushers. Odds are there's going to be one of the many available at #61.

2) 34 Defensive Ends can be found in rounds 3-7. We're not asking our defensive linemen to be Richard Seymour, we're asking them to push the pocket and to occupy blockers -- hardly worth a first rounder.

3) Reaching for a Safety in round one (hint, hint: Taylor Mays) is unnecessary as you can find good values in mid-to-late rounds.

4) Teams like the Colts are stacked with pass catchers (Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Dallas Clark, Gonzalez) and it's wise to have the depth in the secondary to defend them since the AFC likely goes through them.

5) Rex likes to dress up to 10 DBs on gameday, and as of right now we don't have 10 DBs that I'm comfortable playing at all. If there's a spot on this roster for Drew Coleman, you know you're not good deep enough at CB.

6) Cromartie is on a one year deal, what if he doesn't resign next year? Then Lowery is our #2 for 2011? What if he becomes this year's Lito Sheppard instead of the Cromartie from 2007?
    Last edited by Jack Straw; 04-21-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm not completely in favor of going corner in the 1st but I understand why some people are...

1. Cro is on a one year deal. He might not be back, and we might not even want him back if we doesn't improve his play.

2. Lowery is very inconsistent. Do you trust Lowery manned up against Austin Collie or Wes Welker?

3. If we have 3 good coverage corners Rex could even create more ridiculous pressure schemes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As the offensive coordinator of the opposing team I'm running a 4 WR set or often a 3 WR set.

Revis can take away my #1 guy
    Cromartie can take away my #2 guy
    Can your next best cover guy take away the Pierre Garcons of the world?

Hey, I'm of the opinion that I want the Jets to go other than CB in the first couple of rounds but Indy clearly showed they could beat us by having their # 3 WR abuse our #3 cover option.

Also what happens if either of those guys get hurt?

The Jets are in a position right now where they don't have to take a player at any one position. This lets them take guys who they feel are terrific.

I'd be surprised if they took a CB but I wouldn't revolt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Not insane and I don't mean this disrespectfully, but just not paying attention

But as general manager Mike Tannenbaum likes to recall Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome telling him about Rex Ryan some 15 months ago, "You're going to hire a really good coach, and all he wants is corners."
    "The ink wasn't even dry on this trade and Rex wanted to know who the next corner was that we were going to get," Tannenbaum said of the Cromartie deal with San Diego. "Depth at corner is something that's paramount to Rex and the way he and Mike Pettine want to play defense."
    Rex loves corners, we have one great one, one with a ton of upside but who's been completely awful for two whole seasons, and little else.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04-21-2010 at 03:28 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

We could some help, and i`m not opposed to drafting a corner at some point, but for the love of pete people. We got other areas to address with our 1st pick.
    What's the point of locking down Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon on the outside if guys like Clark and Collie burn us out of the slot. In today's NFL, you need to go 3-strong at CB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

With teams running so many formations with 3,4 & 5 WRs (Pats*) you really need 3 CBs who can play at a high level.

Now I hope we resign Cro to a long term deal, he is on the last year of his contract. If CB is the best player on the board at #29 I would be cool with that.
    Last edited by VERMONT JET; 04-21-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    If this is the case, why do you want the Jets to take Dez Bryant if he's available at 29?
    lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Your analogy with Clausen doesn't work because only one QB is on the field at a given time, whereas you can have up to 8 defensive backs on the field at a given time.

People like me are clamoring for CB for a variety of reasons, including the following:

1) This is a deep year for OLB/Pass Rushers. Odds are there's going to be one of the many available at #61.

2) 34 Defensive Ends can be found in rounds 3-7. We're not asking our defensive linemen to be Richard Seymour, we're asking them to push the pocket and to occupy blockers -- hardly worth a first rounder.

3) Reaching for a Safety in round one (hint, hint: Taylor Mays) is unnecessary as you can find good values in mid-to-late rounds.

4) Teams like the Colts are stacked with pass catchers (Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Dallas Clark, Gonzalez) and it's wise to have the depth in the secondary to defend them since the AFC likely goes through them.

5) Rex likes to dress up to 10 DBs on gameday, and as of right now we don't have 10 DBs that I'm comfortable playing at all. If there's a spot on this roster for Drew Coleman, you know you're not good deep enough at CB.

6) Cromartie is on a one year deal, what if he doesn't resign next year? Then Lowery is our #2 for 2011? What if he becomes this year's Lito Sheppard instead of the Cromartie from 2007?
    No more need be said on the matter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    - This is a league that is quickly moving towards 3 WR sets. Any elite offense nowadays has 3 good WRs. Well, in order to defend that, it only makes sense to want 3 good Corners to match up with them. Even as a #3 CB, he would get PLENTY of playing time right away.

- Cromartie is in a contract year, he's no good bet to stay here past this upcoming season. Any CB we pick could be stepping into our starting lineup by 2011.

I'm not saying we're going CB, but there are a few scenarios where CB will be best player available when we pick, and it's a pick that makes a good deal of sense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

he really said that ??

wow.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

im not a dez lover but

santonio holmes is suspended for 4 games. Braylon still might get a 1 game suspension for his plea of no contest... dez bryant would help out early and be huge value at 29

way better than reaching for the 5th or 6th best cornerback

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    santonio holmes is suspended for 4 games. Braylon still might get a 1 game suspension for his plea of no contest... dez bryant would help out early and be huge value at 29

no. Just as dumb.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

Five cornerbacks are going before we pick? Haden, Wilson and who else?

McCourtey? We won't be picking the 5th or 6th best CB at 29. More like the 3rd best, possibly 4th at worst....
    Last edited by Jack Straw; 04-21-2010 at 04:06 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, cause i have a man crush for franchise WRs. ...and I already admitted it makes no sense to take him. I wouldn't expect them to do that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Decided by whom? By you? By Tanny/Rex? Tanny came out and said that the Jets would have HAD to go CB if we didn't get Cro....he didn't say that we weren't still going CB now.
    We did, we as a community we on the consensus of BPA approach now, which has since morphed into BCA or best corner available.

Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    Cro is on a one year deal. He might not be back,
    No, Holmes is on a 1 year deal. We didn't give up a potentially high draft pick for a guy who think has a 50/50 chance of being around later.

Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    . If we have 3 good coverage corners Rex could even create more ridiculous pressure schemes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    As the offensive coordinator of the opposing team I'm running a 4 WR set or often a 3 WR set..
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    What's the point of locking down Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon on the outside if guys like Clark and Collie burn us out of the slot. In today's NFL, you need to go 3-strong at CB.
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    With teams running so many formations with 3,4 & 5 WRs (Pats*) you really need 3 CBs who can play at a high level. .
    So we need a third #1 CB to cover everybody's #3 WR. Thats what you guys are saying. a 2nd Round Corner won't cut it. nor a 4th rounder etc. We need to spent the maximum amount on CBs.

By that measure, there's about 31 teams in the NFL who are 2 Corners shy of getting your 3 #1 CBs. Ridiculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis can take away my #1 guy
    Cromartie can take away my #2 guy
    Can your next best cover guy take away the Pierre Garcons of the world?.
    welcome to the world of defensive scheming. If everyone needed another #1 CB ontop of having REVIS & CROMARTIE to cover the Garcon's of the league, then rounds 1 thru 3 would all be corners. it would be called the 2010 Corner draft.

Hey, I'm of the opinion that I want the Jets to go other than CB in the first couple of rounds but Indy clearly showed they could beat us by having their # 3 WR abuse our #3 cover option.

Also what happens if either of those guys get hurt?

I'd be surprised if they took a CB but I wouldn't revolt.
    our #3 cover option? that was like our #5. Injuries are part of the game, you can't go drafting your top picks every year so you have #1s at every position just in case.
    I know there's more of them on the field than other positions, but c'mon guys. I know the loss to IND hurt. i could have throttled lowery that day too. #29 on a CB better be wilson or it's not worth it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've been an advocate of taking a cb in the first because in todays nfl, you need depth in the secondary and a good nickel is starting to become a must...

however, if dez bryant is available when we pick, you take him because he's on the top of the draft board or you will regret it forever. period!

edwards and holmes are on 1 year deals and chances are 1 will be gone so taking bryant will make sense on many levels...