Thread: If Ryan Matthews is there, should we take him?

If Ryan Matthews is there, should we take him?

I think this would be a really interesting and possibly brilliant pick. Ground and pound away with him and Greene, wear defenses out and let Sanchez pick them apart. I'd hope we could then trade Leon for like a fourth and stock up on D the rest of the way and let LT be the change of pace/third down back.

The only problem I could think of is keeping everyone happy with enough touches, but if Shotty could get everyone on the same page, the O would be deadly.

he'd definitely be value

as great as greene has been... he's been injury prone... leon probably gone after this year (if not sooner) and LT is just about done.

Between Green, Leon, and LT, one of them is going to stay healthy.

I think we are fine at RB. And I'm also not a fan of taking a running back high because there is a surplus in this league and you can get good ones for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Between Green, Leon, and LT, one of them is going to stay healthy.

I think we are fine at RB. And I'm also not a fan of taking a running back high because there is a surplus in this league and you can get good ones for nothing.
    yeah, but it's most likely going to be LT...
    Greene is the guy who needs to stay healthy for the Jets to be effective.
    Matthews present too much value to pass at 29 imo...

I don't trust Shonn Greene staying healthy at all.

The Jets do not have enough picks to take a RB (carry 4?) or a WR (some people still want Golden Tate, a TE (been mentioned). Today is draft day. No GM in his right mind is trading for Leon today without getting a physical on him.
    The Jets are talking of dumping the LG, DE, OLB? Those have a huge priority as does a reserve CB over a RB.

They are still short a DE as it is. Want a RB? Only if Jets do not cut a DE or OLB or LG. Blount in the 4th. He's devalued because of the punch out incident.

If Graham, Hughes, Kindle, and Odrick are all gone and Matthews is sitting there for us, I'd take him.

not in the 1st but we need to draft a RB because if Greene goes down who carries the load?

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    not in the 1st but we need to draft a RB because if Greene goes down who carries the load?
    the Jets signed Tomlinson

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he'd definitely be value

as great as greene has been... he's been injury prone... leon probably gone after this year (if not sooner) and LT is just about done.
    Even if what you say is true, RB is a position that you can draft for an immediate impact. There isn't a learning curve like with WR, CB, OLB, etc. If we decide that we need a RB next year, we can address that then.

We don't have the quantity of picks to take a luxury pick like RB in the 1st round. If Matthews falls to us (he won't) and he represents such great value, it stands to reason that there should be a team that wants to trade for our pick. I'd go that route instead.

All Pro
    No, not only do we not need him, he's not a true first round back. Lack of elite prospects boost his stock up.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Electric View Post
    That's a giant fail.

Ryan Mathews is definitely an elite prospect. If he hadn't suffered that concussion at Nevada, he'd probably have a Heisman on his mantle.

Missing time cost him about 4 TDs and a couple hundred rushing yards. Oh well.

CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, and Jahvid Best are all quality running back prospects. Toby Gerhart is right behind them.

I have a feeling Mathews will be the first back off the board depending on what the Seahawks do.

PS: R.I.P. Senor Gato/JetsLookingForDWare.
    Absolutely... Mathews is legit. I'd consider it but I just generally hate taking RB's early. Especially when we have 3 good RB's right now. There is no way that all 3 get hurt.