Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Number 1 overall pick will be ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully Mallett, Green, Quinn, Heyward and Bowers end up jumping to the top of the draft board. That way the 49ers have a shot at trading up into the top 5 and drafting Locker

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    Hopefully Mallett, Green, Quinn, Heyward and Bowers end up jumping to the top of the draft board. That way the 49ers have a shot at trading up into the top 5 and drafting Locker
    Trading up? They won't have to.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Trading up? They won't have to.
    oh yes they will. They will finish their typical 7 to 9 wins and land in the 10-20 range again. they play in the NFC West remember?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Robert Quinn/North Carolina....the next coming of Julius Peppers....

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I meant in the sense of pure physical talent.

Quinn (6'5'' 270) isn't as big as Peppers (6'7'' 280-290), but Quinn is a little bit faster -- his most 40 recent time was 4.51 whereas Peppers ran a 4.68 at the Combine.

I am a UNC graduate, and I follow them pretty well...but definitely not as passionately as the Jets. I have been high on him since the before this past season. He is an amazing speed rusher with pretty good technique too. Pretty friggin' cool CBTNY thinks he'll be the #1 pick next year.

UNC's defense will be incredible to watch this season. Quinn, Marvin Austin, Bruce Carter, and Quan Sturdivant all look like locks to be Day 1 picks. Deunta Williams is a rangy athletic safety with play-making ability, and probably my favorite player on the defense is CB Kendric Burney. He doesn't have amazing size, but he is more than willing to put a hat on a guy and has great tackling form for a corner. His speed is adequate, and he has shown improvement in play-making abilities, increasing his INT totals each season (5 last year) and took two of them to the house against Miami.

Anyway, here is an article that backs up Quinn's measurables:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/09/30/118484/heels-quinn-makes-most-of-second.html

BY J.P. GIGLIO - STAFF WRITER
    Tags: college | football | sports | unc
    CHAPEL HILL -- If you want to know how good North Carolina defensive end Robert Quinn is, ask his coach or teammates. Better yet, ask an opposing coach or a quarterback he has chased down, but whatever you do, don't ask Quinn.

The humble sophomore has an unusual combination of size and speed, and unique perspective on life, but he has no ego.

Quinn, a 6-foot-5, 270-pound end from Ladson, S.C., could brag about the career-best 10 tackles against Georgia Tech, or the sack and forced fumble against The Citadel, or the holding penalty he drew in the end zone for the winning safety against Connecticut, or any of the game-changing plays against East Carolina that inspired an unofficial record for compliments from an in-state rival. But he doesn't.

Quinn won't boast, but everyone else will.

"I think he is a pro right now," ECU coach Skip Holtz said after UNC's 31-17 win on Sept. 19.

Asked ECU quarterback Patrick Pinkney, who spent the better part of the game sharing the backfield with Quinn: "He's only a sophomore?"

UNC coach Butch Davis simply calls Quinn a "beast," and safety Deunta Williams has nicknamed him "Hercules."

"He's amazing," Williams said. "The guy's 270, he runs a 4.5 and he's chiseled up like a Greek god."

All the attention, especially from the opposing team, leaves Quinn appreciative but speechless.

"I don't know what to say," Quinn said. "I'm not trying to brag on me, but apparently they thought I was pretty good."

Pretty good? That qualifies as chest-thumping for Quinn, who's not in the business of self-promotion because of what he calls a "second chance at life."

As a senior in high school, he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. The tumor, which is still in Quinn's skull, is benign. He had surgery in October 2007 to reduce the size and remove excess fluid around it, which was causing swelling of his brain.

Two months after the surgery, Quinn resumed his athletic career on his high school wrestling team, where he was a two-time state champion. The next fall, he returned to the football field with an appreciation for life's most basic activities.

"I just look at like a second chance at life," Quinn said.

Quinn has made the most of his second chance. He earned a starting job in the second game of his freshman season and finished with 34 tackles and two sacks. He wanted more. He worked this summer to take a step forward.

That work was evident on UNC's testing day in the spring. His 40-yard dash time, 4.51 seconds, eclipsed the position-record held by Julius Peppers, the Carolina Panthers' All-Pro defensive end. In the weight room, he owns the school record for the power clean at 366 pounds and can bench-press 380 pounds. For good measure, he has a 32-inch vertical leap.

Davis is just as impressed with Quinn's personality and work ethic as with his athletic gifts.

"He's truly a humble kid," Davis said. "He was worked extremely hard for everything he has ever gotten."

By any standard, the first four games have been remarkable. Quinn said he's smarter, more experienced in his second season.

"I'm not trying to learn and play at the same time," Quinn said.

Quinn added he felt faster this season, which is a scary thought, Williams said.

"He sacked Pinkney so fast," Williams said, "I thought somebody jumped offsides. I thought the play was whistled dead."

Holtz said Quinn was faster than he looked on film.

"We didn't do a very good job of evaluating his speed," Holtz said after he proclaimed Quinn ready for the NFL at age 19.

The NFL's on Quinn's radar, but he's not consumed by the pursuit. Typical of his personality, he's not even sure he wants to be a part of the bright lights that come with professional football.

"I think about the NFL, but then sometimes I want to live a normal life," Quinn said. "I'm an old country boy, I don't need much to make me happy. Millions sounds nice, but I don't need the whole world to make me happy."

Who needs the world when you've been given a second chance at life?
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 04-25-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    I had read that Bowers had not really lived up to his potential at Clemson.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Oakland and Buffalo say hello
    I hope not Oakland...NE has their pick and will get Brady's future replacement.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully the Bills pick first and the Patriots pick second

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Quinn (6'5'' 270) isn't as big as Peppers (6'7'' 280-290), but Quinn is a little bit faster -- his most 40 recent time was 4.51 whereas Peppers ran a 4.68 at the Combine.

I am a UNC graduate, and I follow them pretty well...but definitely not as passionately as the Jets. I have been high on him since the before this past season. He is an amazing speed rusher with pretty good technique too. Pretty friggin' cool CBTNY thinks he'll be the #1 pick next year.

UNC's defense will be incredible to watch this season. Quinn, Marvin Austin, Bruce Carter, and Quan Sturdivant all look like locks to be Day 1 picks. Deunta Williams is a rangy athletic safety with play-making ability, and probably my favorite player on the defense is CB Kendric Burney. He doesn't have amazing size, but he is more than willing to put a hat on a guy and has great tackling form for a corner. His speed is adequate, and he has shown improvement in play-making abilities, increasing his INT totals each season (5 last year) and took two of them to the house against Miami.

if you are a UNC fan you should donate to whatever cause Butch Davis recommends....how the hell he kept all those guys at Chapel Hill is beyond me....it's funny you like Burney because I love Charles Brown....that will be an interesting battle in 2011....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I had read that Bowers had not really lived up to his potential at Clemson.
    As a Clemson alumn I agree that Bowers has not been the player everyone thought when he came to Clemson. He hasn't been bad....but he has not been the elite player so many thought he would be. This is a huge year for him...but unless he steps up his play A LOT...I dont think he will be debated as a top 10 pick next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a big season, wouldn't be suprised to see Andrew Luck declare and be in the #1 overall discussion.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    With a big season, wouldn't be suprised to see Andrew Luck declare and be in the #1 overall discussion.
    Luck is solid but can't see how he passes Mallett as the #1 QB at this point...a lot of defensive linemen again next year....the Cody lovers will soon be screaming for Jerell Powe/Mississippi, who is a terrific NT prospect....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    As a Clemson alumn I agree that Bowers has not been the player everyone thought when he came to Clemson. He hasn't been bad....but he has not been the elite player so many thought he would be. This is a huge year for him...but unless he steps up his play A LOT...I dont think he will be debated as a top 10 pick next year.
    that seems to be symptomatic of Clemson d-lineman....I do like Jarvis Jenkins a bit and he could be a top 45 pick....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Robert Quinn/North Carolina....the next coming of Julius Peppers....
    Isn't there a bunch of beast DE's coming out next year? Off the top of my head I can think of Romeus, Heyward, Quinn, and Clayborn.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    that seems to be symptomatic of Clemson d-lineman....I do like Jarvis Jenkins a bit and he could be a top 45 pick....
    I take it your're not a fan of their coaching staff?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Betting every one of you turn out wrong.

Picking the next #1 two days after this years #1. Lol.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

hahaha you just love pissing in any cheerios you can find, don't you?

Of course we're all wrong. I thought the draft forum existed for the sole purpose of gathering thousands of incorrect predictions.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I take it your're not a fan of their coaching staff?
    not Bowden's....the new guy seems to get the team to play at a higher level- they ALWAYS underachieved w/Bowden leading the way....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

couldn't be more incorrect...I'm sure if you scan the forum from this time last year you'd find a bunch of people who predicted Bradford as the first pick this year (i was not one of them).....GGI correctly picked Stafford the year prior....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew Luck

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He wont be the first pick but Christian Ponder is going to be the best QB out of next years class.