Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Sour Grapes From LW...

All Pro

More Sour Grapes From LW...

the perfect ingredient for SOJF whine...

Leon Washington is a "little upset" he wont be with the Jets next season, and hes not the only one.

In an interview on WFAN (yesterday), Washington said some of his teammates are concerned about how the team will come together after the overhaul the roster has undergone this offseason....

he signed his contract tender before being dealt for practically nothing.

Washington wished the Jets the best, but said there are some hard feelings. I would like to say no, but its only natural for me to feel that way, Washington said when asked if he felt any ill-will toward the organization. If I didnt feel that way it would mean I didnt have any feelings toward the Jets. Honestly, I am a little upset I am not going to be a Jet next year.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...ag9koOKwb8YqQI

It's all her fault

Jets Insider VIP
    Dear Leon

Don't forget to blame Alvin the Chipmunk, your incompetent agent since he is the one that screwed you far more than anybody else

Jets Insider VIP
    Dear leon,

Dont forget to blame yourself as your agent works for you.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Not to split hairs, but his comments are the opposite of sour grapes. If he had said, "I'm glad I'm gone, they're going to suck," that would be sour grapes.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Who is Leon Washington?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Agree, not seeing anything that would be considered sour grapes.

And as Sg said, if he didn't listen to his greedy agent Leon would still be a jet.

Ah the way of the sports fan. A guy who was a good player, good teammate and upstanding citizen leaves the team and he's a jerk and will not be missed.

A guy who is old, pretty near done who had a huge hate on for the team, the city and it's fans is signed on and he is lauded with nice compliments and patted on the head as being an important part of the puzzle.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Not to split hairs, but his comments are the opposite of sour grapes. If he had said, "I'm glad I'm gone, they're going to suck," that would be sour grapes.
    +1

I heard the entire interview, and while there is little doubt that there was a little "hurt" behind the "I know its a business" chatter, he could not have been more gracious and professional.

He's Ok in my book, and I wish him well.

All Pro
    Questioning aloud the Jets' direction and continuity isn't sour grapes?

Should have just kept quiet but couldn't, just another (self-) over-rated, less than upstanding ex-Jet in my book....perfect fodder for the SOJF hosted show he was on
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 04-28-2010 at 12:48 PM.

I heard Leon on Sirius this morning with Schein and Rich Gannon and Leon couldn't have been classier. He again expressed disappointment with being traded, but he wouldn't take Schein's repeated attempts to lead him down the "they'll regret trading me" road. At one point Schein asked him if the Jets would take a step back this year without Leon, Faneca and TJ and Leon's response praised the players still there and basically said that there is too much talent on the team for them to take a step back.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    the perfect ingredient for SOJF whine...

Leon Washington is a "little upset" he wont be with the Jets next season, and hes not the only one.

In an interview on WFAN (yesterday), Washington said some of his teammates are concerned about how the team will come together after the overhaul the roster has undergone this offseason....

he signed his contract tender before being dealt for practically nothing.

Washington wished the Jets the best, but said there are some hard feelings. I would like to say no, but its only natural for me to feel that way, Washington said when asked if he felt any ill-will toward the organization. If I didnt feel that way it would mean I didnt have any feelings toward the Jets. Honestly, I am a little upset I am not going to be a Jet next year.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...ag9koOKwb8YqQI

It's all her fault

I'm a little unclear....can we see some more of who's fault it is??

In all honesty, Leon was a great back for us, a good guy, and he will most certainly be missed.

I actually am happy that he's a little upset about being traded. It means he really wanted to be a Jet. In the modern world of sports, it's hard to find sincerity like that.

Leon Washington used to scare the bejeebers out of us Pats fans. He was a great weapon for the Jets. Maybe McKnight (sp?) will replace him, maybe not. No one will ever know, because the injury alone makes him a permament question mark.

As for LaDainian Tomlinson, the lasting impression in Foxboro was his pouting away a playoff game two years ago and rarely leaving the bench, let alone interacting with his teammates, or God forbid, asking to get back in the game.

On paper, Jets backs would appear to be more primed than the Pats, who've had the weakest running game in the division for the past several years, and it didn't look like much will change on that front.

in the end i think leon was a victem of his own hype. he began to believe that he was the key to the offense and was the only offensive threat. maybe that was true on opening day last year. but scat backs are not intended to be the main weapons, and tanny clearly made sure he wasn't. leon overestimated his role on the team which in turn was reflected in his agent's demands. sure the agent was a tool, and leon may be a classy guy and loved to be on the jets, but leon overestimated his role. kick returners can be found easily (jets just found 2) and w/o the wedge you have to wonder how much better even a healthy leon would be than these new guys.

leon needed to look at reggie bush's role on the saints. that offense was brees, the wrs and shockey, with bush as a supplementary piece. leon could have been that piece for the jets, but he became the dog on the bridge with the bone in his mouth who saw his reflection in the water and wanted that bone as well.

All League
    exactly. i heard the interview yesterday. he seemed dissappointed as he should, but understands it's a business. also said it adds fuel to the fire to become a better player, but what do you expect him to say?
    Last edited by loluchka80; 04-28-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    +1

I heard the entire interview, and while there is little doubt that there was a little "hurt" behind the "I know its a business" chatter, he could not have been more gracious and professional.

He's Ok in my book, and I wish him well.
    +1
    Good luck Leon 'ceptin against us!

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Ah the way of the sports fan. A guy who was a good player, good teammate and upstanding citizen leaves the team and he's a jerk and will not be missed.

A guy who is old, pretty near done who had a huge hate on for the team, the city and it's fans is signed on and he is lauded with nice compliments and patted on the head as being an important part of the puzzle.
    EXACTLY!

keep in mind, Leon was a guy that we got a for a fourth round pick, he performed much better than a 4th round pick in his career, yet we dealt him for a 5th round pick, as well giving the other team a 7th round pick? seems like a fair trade

not to mention, his quote at the end of the story is pretty telling. he's upset because he really wanted to remain with the Jets, obviously he very much likes the Jets and their fans, this is the team that gave him a shot, he was a fan favorite, and overall his tenure here was successful. hence the reason he said, if he didn't care about the Jets, he wouldn't have any feelings about the situation. talk about this thread making a mountain out of a mole hill!

honestly, i hope LW has all the luck in the world, gets his due contract, and makes Tanny and Rex look foolish for pissing him away for NOTHING. if they had gotten something, ok, but for nothing, why not just keep the guy in case LT is totally finished? another mind boggling move. along with saving $0 by breaking up our offensive line chemistry, and then turning around and giving money to a 39 year old 130 pound linebacker who loathes the Jets, and vice versa. it's all adding up for a massive letdown...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Dear leon,

Dont forget to blame yourself as your agent works for you.
    Dear Leon:

Please don't forget to blame the Creator, as it has predestined all of our existence.

Yours in Odin,

Borgoguy

P.S. I'm sorry you are no longer with the Jets, and wish you well in all of your endeavors.

have no problem with what leon said...guy played his heart out for us and obviously he's left some of it behind...in a cold business i respect that...

dump. Why do people love to criticize things taken totally out of context. Bottom line, Leon wanted to be a Jet and is disappointed he isn't going to be. I heard the whole thing and I thought he handled himself really well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I agree...

I'll never forget the day I was at camp when Leon was a rookie, I was watching the RB drills and the guy left me amazed at his quickness. I'll miss having him on the team.