Thread: Kentucky Derby

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Derby

Who are you going with this weekend? Who are your favorite trainers? I almost always bet on Zito. Need some other picks to make up an exotic. If you feel good about any of the underdogs please share

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    stately victor 30-1 odds.

a friend who's a big horse racing guy likes the horse and the jockey alan garcia. my sawbuck is on him this weekend.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Derby at Night?

It won't be long before the Kentucky Derby, the biggest day in horse racing and, for sure, one of the biggest sports events of the year, will be made into a primetime show.

"I think it's inevitable," said four-time Derby-winning trainer D. Wayne Lukas.

The race, run on the first Saturday in May for 135 years, has simply gotten too big for the racing industry to leave as a late-afternoon event on a sleepy weekend afternoon, according to some of the most powerful names in the game.

Churchill Downs, the home of the derby in Lexington, Ky., installed lights around the track this past winter -- initially to allow for night racing at the end of the racing season. To move the derby to a nighttime start -- when TV audiences would be much larger and the revenues from ads proportionally higher -- is an easy step, the racing experts say.

While the track has no plans to change the start time of the race, Churchill Downs president Kevin Flannery says he would "never say never".
    http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...gd1IhGphufO0LP

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know we have a big horse racing guy somewhere around here...

RJF perhaps?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a big horse racing guy. I only bet on the big three races and whenever i can make it to Saratoga. What a great place to visit

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Baffert looks loaded, and it's really hard to judge horses coming off the synthetic turf, but one has already turned in a bullet work(a very big factor at Churchill). Lookin At Lucky had a horrible trip, but could he have caught Sidney's Candy in the SA Derby? The letter is stuck with the 20 post, but you have to like speed at Churchill. His jockey would've had his 1st Derby mount last yr but the favorite, I Want Revenge, was scratched before the race. Super Saver has worked well over the track and has won impressively here. Dublin's a grinder but I like a horse that makes a sharp move. [b]Mission Impazible]/b] might finally get Pletcher some roses after 24 tries.

My exacta ticket: 1-20/1-4-12-14-17-20. I think that'll cost you $20 for each $2 bet.

If you want to check out the prep races, go to KetcuckyDerby.com. I'm off in search of a Daily Racing Form before work, so you might see this pick edited after midnight. Good luck!
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-29-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing I ask myself when handicapping a major race is: which winner will stamp himself an all-time superhorse? The only 2 that qualify are Cali synthetic-turfers. You might throw Ice-Box into that mix, as he has the best dirt Beyers, but these lightly-raced Zito horses seem to show up with warts. It's as if they're not always trying. Da' Tara never won again and yet he sure was primed for the big one. Zito fools me often, but I'll never forgive him for Go For Gin's Preakness*. His two are off my tickets.

Tomlinson Figures. These are statistical guesses, based on the horse's breeding, on whether they'll flourish over a certain surface or distance. They are especailly useful in this Derby because none have been this far, and there are no Big Brown's/Afleet Alex's in here. Noone has made a mark at this distance/surface. Distance-wise the biggest Tomlinsons are Super Saver(who has an impressive win over track), Discretely Mine, and Awesome Act. DM has shown some stamina issues on the track, so that leaves you with 2. Perhaps more importantly, there figures to be heavy rain tomorrow. The wet-track Tomlinsons tout Noble's Promise, Line Of David, American Lion, and Awesome Act. NP came out of his last banged up, and LOD turned in a clunker workout. That again leaves you with 2, but one is the same.

Money mangement is always my problem at the track. I can't be that guy who rattles off 7 combinations and pays $12(in front of me while get shut out). So how do we do this? I love the Cali horses but hate that they have no dirt history and there's no value. Let's try this...

exacta part-wheel, 1-16-20/1-6-12-14-16-20.

Now I need a mathematician. Can someone verify that it'll cost me $15 for easch $1 bet?

* I rolled into Pimlico and promtly scored a face-value seat trackside at the finish line. 'Gin was 2nd all the way around and I'm normaly a win better. }-:
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-30-2010 at 02:32 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can I get a list of all the synthetic California horses?. I want to throw em all out

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    How can I get a list of all the synthetic California horses?. I want to throw em all out
    1-12(dissapointed in only dirt start)-20. 8 is a turf horse who was beaten 34 lengths his only dirt race. I'm including the 3 synth horses because nothing stands out on dirt and they seem to practicing on it well. Also, 2 are trained by Baffert, a Triple Crown mainstay.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try this............http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...e-may-surface/.....I like Super Saver with Borel up.