Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: If you're a US soccer fan, how annoyed are you at this?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    If you're a US soccer fan, how annoyed are you at this?

    The US has two serious problems in their roster, lack of scoring talent at the Striker position and a lack of quality defenders? Then how annoyed are you that the US has two Americans playing for different countries and excelling at those positions on the world scene in Giuseppe Rossi (Club Team: Villareal/National Team: Italy) and Neven Subotic (Club Team: Dortmund but rumored to be a Man U transfer/National Team: Serbia)...?

    Both of these players are very young and making huge waves in the best leagues in the world, both had opportunities in the US Soccer system and both players for different reasons have chosen to play for other countries that they have heritage in. Rossi I can understand choosing to play for Italy. It sucks as a US soccer fan because this kid is a difference maker, however he did the smart thing that any US kid with talent should do which is grow up in a professional soccer system overseas. Had he stayed here there's no doubt he would not be the player he is today, in my mind.

    However, Subotic ... that one is completely inexcusable. The kid grew up in the US system on the U17 and U20 teams and felt disrespected by the moron that left him off the roster in the semis for the U20 team. How the hell do you that and still have a job? Whoever is running US soccer should step down because that's a disgrace. The kid was 1 year from being a senior level cap which means he would only be allowed to play for the US, and then some dumbass goes and does something stupid and this kid decides he'll go where he's wanted, which btw is by everyone right now! That really is frustrating. Check out this quote:

    A quick Google search will link his name to Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, and a host of other teams in search of "the new Vidic" for anywhere from £14 million to £20 million. So many rumors with so little evidence—at this rate, it wouldn't be surprising if the elusive Neven Subotic were also linked to the JFK assassination, Princess Diana's death, the Area 51 cover-up, and the anti-fluoridation movement.
    If you know anything about international soccer you'd know Vidic is perhaps the best defender in the world. The team he plays for states that if a team wants to transfer for Subotic that they'd have to give them 2 oil-fields or a dumptruck full of money. He's an international star and he was in our system, SITTING OUT OF A FREAKING MATCH! Are you kidding me?!?!

    "Selling Neven Subotic is a non-issue," Joachim Watzke told Bild.

    "If Manchester United is wanting to have him, they would need to sign over a property of two oil-fields to us.

    "Or at least two big trucks full of packaged pound notes.

    "We have no intention to sell the player, he is under contract."
    And we wonder why our teams are weak when we have great athletes, maybe it's because we have idiots running the programs. Obviously we have players on our team that were born citizens elsewhere and that's not the issue I have. The issue is how do you suck that bad at identifying talent, developing quality talent, and then screwing it up in the end?

    Like I said, the Rossi situation is understandable... he grew up in the Italian system, his father and mother were Italian immigrants, he grew up idolizing the Azzure. However, Subotic played in the US national team system and when some idiot makes the enormously retarded decision to leave off a player who is being considered the next best defender in the entire world because of a falling out with the coach.... how do you do that? That's like not playing Lebron and Kobe at the olympics because of ego. It's just purely inept and quite frustrating when you look at the squad we have right now with all the injuries and all the holes regardless. They'll be lucky to make it out of the group, which I don't think will happen btw.

    Anyway, anyone else have a rant? Please don't turn this into a patriotism garbage post that gets locked. I'm speaking purely from a soccer perspective and I know a lot of people think Rossi is a trader or whatever. Lets talk about how to make American soccer more appealing and getting someone that actually knows what the hell they're doing to develop these kids and keep them in the system on the international stage. Like I said, I think these kids need to grow up abroad in those systems if we're going to compete internationally, but to lose players because of mishandled egos... sorry that's just crazy and unacceptable and absolutely setting US soccer back from an international standpoint.
    Last edited by southside; 05-07-2010 at 01:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to move this to the electrolux forum.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I'm going to move this to the electrolux forum.
    I didn't realize there was a soccer forum...

  4. #4
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I didn't realize there was a soccer forum...


    np...these guys will be pumped for some new blood

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I didn't realize there was a soccer forum...
    now THATS funny.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    1,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently Subotic's play has been deteriorating lately, but I don't watch him that often. It is a little frustrating, but I can see his perspective on the issue. He was called into camp by Thomas Rongen with the U 20's but didn't really play, and I think there was some major animosity towards Rongen and Subotic which kind of soured Subotic's relationship with the USSF anyway. And honestly man, the kid was bornin Serbia, and grew up in Germany and America. I'm sure he knows what country he feels the closest to.....

    If anything, I think Rossi's situation is more perplexing. He was born in America and lived there until he was 17. The only connection he has to Italy is that his father was born there. I could care less about Rossi, and am glad that he might even be left off of the Italian national team this world cup.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    The OP - suck it up, pal. Welcome to the world the rest of us have to face. The number of players my country has lost to others through parentage or whatever, despite the fact they were born and grew up here is numerous. You mention Serbia - there is a born and bred Aussie running around with Croatia right now.

    It's just a fact of life - the rules probably suck in terms of that it allows players to choose what national team they are going to represent, but the rules are the rules.

    You don't see Brazil complaining when the umpteenth player born and bred there decides he'd be better off in terms of playing for a national side by finding a distant relative who lives on the other side of the globe, and hence decides to leave. Brazil doesn't give a hang - they just find other players to replace them. And this is from a country that is closer to third world than first world.

    The USA has a lot to be thankful for - it is the richest country on the globe and can't be complaining about stuff like this. If your players leave for elsewhere, replace them - all of this seems to underlie the fact that in terms of the World Game, the USA sucks. *****ing about stuff like this points to that fact.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    2,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are both traitors and they can both kiss my American A$$. I heard somewhere that Rossi might not even make the final Italian roster. I can't think of a better punishment for a defector than that. I HATE Italian soccer! It is effective but painfully boring to watch.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    i fully understand rossi's decision, his family was from italy, he left for italy when he was 12 and was back and forth for awhile. i would of made the same decision if i was him. i hope lippi calls him up for the cup because italy needs an explosive striker


    if davies is ok for the cup, i dont see a problem at striker for us, and we are solid at 3/4 of the defense

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    i fully understand rossi's decision, his family was from italy, he left for italy when he was 12 and was back and forth for awhile. i would of made the same decision if i was him. i hope lippi calls him up for the cup because italy needs an explosive striker


    if davies is ok for the cup, i dont see a problem at striker for us, and we are solid at 3/4 of the defense
    I could be mistaken, but isn't Rossi a local kid? Clifton maybe?

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I could be mistaken, but isn't Rossi a local kid? Clifton maybe?
    Yes he is from Jersey.

    Anyway, I'm not sure what the big deal is about being annoyed that quality players aren't playing for the US when they could have been. It doesn't help US soccer at all in terms of respect. I agree, get better, blah blah blah. BD, you're entitled to your opinion and that's great. But we are hear to talk about something right? Might as well be something relevant no? Ok, then get off your holier than thou horse and either provide something useful or shhhh. Don't like the topic, don't post in it then.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I could be mistaken, but isn't Rossi a local kid? Clifton maybe?
    yup, pretty sure it was clinton. he still has family in the area too. ive practiced with one of his relatives (uncle maybe?) in my towns over 40 team, and with some of his younger relatives

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    yup, pretty sure it was clinton. he still has family in the area too. ive practiced with one of his relatives (uncle maybe?) in my towns over 40 team, and with some of his younger relatives
    Just Wiki'ed him. Says he was born in Teaneck and his father was a Teacher/Coach at Clifton High School.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Yes he is from Jersey.

    Anyway, I'm not sure what the big deal is about being annoyed that quality players aren't playing for the US when they could have been. It doesn't help US soccer at all in terms of respect. I agree, get better, blah blah blah. BD, you're entitled to your opinion and that's great. But we are hear to talk about something right? Might as well be something relevant no? Ok, then get off your holier than thou horse and either provide something useful or shhhh. Don't like the topic, don't post in it then.
    My point is is that it happens to every footballing country on the globe - not just the USA - so what's the point of complaining about it? Just a fact of footballing life every international team has to deal with.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    1,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    My point is is that it happens to every footballing country on the globe - not just the USA - so what's the point of complaining about it? Just a fact of footballing life every international team has to deal with.
    Do me a favor and answer these two questions. If you cannot extrapolate the difference between the two, I just do not know what to say.

    What does Brazil care if they lose a fringe player to Croatia that would never make the national team in his career?

    What does America care if they lose one of the best strikers in Spain that would be the best striker on the American national team.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    Do me a favor and answer these two questions. If you cannot extrapolate the difference between the two, I just do not know what to say.

    What does Brazil care if they lose a fringe player to Croatia that would never make the national team in his career?

    What does America care if they lose one of the best strikers in Spain that would be the best striker on the American national team.
    The USA is, by some margin, the world's richest country - it has access to vast resources, a huge population, great training facilities and so on and so forth. Brazil is basically a third world country, wracked constantly by economic unrest and a whole host of other debilitating factors. Brazil doesn't even have a scintilla of the facilities and resources that the USA has at its disposal. You see the disparity between the two countries?

    My own country has lost numerous players to other countries - but we, like the US, are a first world country. The list of players who *could* have played for Australia but chose to play elsewhere is a long one - for example, we could have had playing for us a player who by general consensus was one of the top strikers of his era in Christian Vieri - Vieri's top sporting hero is actually an ex-Australian cricketer. Virtually every other footballing nation on the globe has similar stories. I'm sure Raoul could tell you about players that have left France to play for another country, just as he could tell you about players who have chosen to play for France over the country of their/their parent's birth. It's a fact of the footballing landscape and to complain about it is pretty hypocritical, especially given the fact that I'm certain there are players currently in the USA squad who were probably pinched from elsewhere, and also given the fact that the USA has a huge number of resources in which to develop their own "home-grown" talent. Then, of course, there is the issue of the USA pinching athletes from other countries in other sports.....

    I remember watching Vieri run around for the Italian national team, or when he was scoring buckets of goals in the Serie A, and I would think wistfully: "what if......". What if he played for Australia? But it never went further than that, and I certainly didn't complain about the situation - he made his choice and it was within FIFA's rules, and that's that really.

    Perhaps I went over the top with my language in the initial post in this thread - for which I apologise, but I'm not going to apologise for the intent - my point still stands. The countries that have "pinched" players from the USA have worked within the rules - nothing illegal has gone on here. Are those rules unfair? I doubt it, given that they apply to everyone. However, if soccer fans in the USA think they disadvantage their national team all I can say is: "welcome to the world the rest of us live in."

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    The USA is, by some margin, the world's richest country - it has access to vast resources, a huge population, great training facilities and so on and so forth. Brazil is basically a third world country, wracked constantly by economic unrest and a whole host of other debilitating factors. Brazil doesn't even have a scintilla of the facilities and resources that the USA has at its disposal. You see the disparity between the two countries?

    My own country has lost numerous players to other countries - but we, like the US, are a first world country. The list of players who *could* have played for Australia but chose to play elsewhere is a long one - for example, we could have had playing for us a player who by general consensus was one of the top strikers of his era in Christian Vieri - Vieri's top sporting hero is actually an ex-Australian cricketer. Virtually every other footballing nation on the globe has similar stories. I'm sure Raoul could tell you about players that have left France to play for another country, just as he could tell you about players who have chosen to play for France over the country of their/their parent's birth. It's a fact of the footballing landscape and to complain about it is pretty hypocritical, especially given the fact that I'm certain there are players currently in the USA squad who were probably pinched from elsewhere, and also given the fact that the USA has a huge number of resources in which to develop their own "home-grown" talent. Then, of course, there is the issue of the USA pinching athletes from other countries in other sports.....

    I remember watching Vieri run around for the Italian national team, or when he was scoring buckets of goals in the Serie A, and I would think wistfully: "what if......". What if he played for Australia? But it never went further than that, and I certainly didn't complain about the situation - he made his choice and it was within FIFA's rules, and that's that really.

    Perhaps I went over the top with my language in the initial post in this thread - for which I apologise, but I'm not going to apologise for the intent - my point still stands. The countries that have "pinched" players from the USA have worked within the rules - nothing illegal has gone on here. Are those rules unfair? I doubt it, given that they apply to everyone. However, if soccer fans in the USA think they disadvantage their national team all I can say is: "welcome to the world the rest of us live in."
    After looking it up, it lists every player on the roster's hometown and all of them are in the US. Not sure if that means if they were actually born there or what. Someone more knowledgeable about US Soccer than myself could help me out with that maybe. Here's the link...

    http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/US-Men...ayer-Pool.aspx

    That being said, I don't disagree with you. Every country plays within the same set of rules, so it's hard to say it's unfair or complain. Mainly, it's just disappointing. The US certainly isn't a top country in the sport, so it just kind of sucks to see top talent that was born and raised here, playing elsewhere. I'm not complaining, it just kind is disappointing is all.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    After looking it up, it lists every player on the roster's hometown and all of them are in the US. Not sure if that means if they were actually born there or what. Someone more knowledgeable about US Soccer than myself could help me out with that maybe. Here's the link...

    http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/US-Men...ayer-Pool.aspx

    That being said, I don't disagree with you. Every country plays within the same set of rules, so it's hard to say it's unfair or complain. Mainly, it's just disappointing. The US certainly isn't a top country in the sport, so it just kind of sucks to see top talent that was born and raised here, playing elsewhere. I'm not complaining, it just kind is disappointing is all.
    Yeah, you are quite right there - it is disappointing especially when you know a player could really help out your team but has chosen instead to play for a country where there are 10 other players who could do the same job they do almost equally as well.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three players who are playing/have played very recently for the United States were born elsewhere - which isn't a great number - I'm not even sure of the rules surrounding place of birth and country representation - I'm sure there are other countries who have a greater number of players born outside their borders than the USA.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Three players who are playing/have played very recently for the United States were born elsewhere - which isn't a great number - I'm not even sure of the rules surrounding place of birth and country representation - I'm sure there are other countries who have a greater number of players born outside their borders than the USA.
    Almost a third of our national team is players born and raised in Germany the Altıntop Bros., Nuri Sahin, Hakan Balta, Colin Kazim Richards (UK) these are ethnic Turks. There is also Marco Aurelio who's a naturulized Brazilian.

    On the other hand Mesut Ozil and Serdar Tasci are couple of Turks who have opted to play for Germany. Hell a third of the Swiss national team is Turkish Hakan Yakin, Gökhan Inler, Eren Derdiyok. There used to be Murat Yakin and Kubilay Turkyilmaz also for the swiss. There's a brazilian Eduardo playing for the Croats, there was also one playing for Japan.

    It's disappointing but happens everywhere to every country.
    Last edited by The Turk; 05-11-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us