Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winnipeg could get revenge on Bettman

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like

Winnipeg could get revenge on Bettman

In 1996, fans of the Winnipeg Jets suffered their most bitter defeat. The NHL team packed up and moved to Phoenix, part of league commissioner Gary Bettmanís grand plan to sell the sport to non-traditional markets.

Phoenix was bigger, brighter and would soon have a new arena. Winnipeg was cold, dark and smack dab in the middle of the Manitoba prairie. One city was growing. One was easy to forget.

Hockey in the desert made little sense, of course. After almost a decade and a half, the team has found little more than a small, if passionate, core of fans. Not that it matters with the NHL. Bettman is always right; everyone else is always wrong.

Yes, there are hardcore hockey fans in Phoenix who donít deserve to lose their team any more than hardcore fans anywhere else. Thatís the big thing with Bettmanís bumbling leadership through the years; in his endless quest to chase new markets, he keeps hurting the true fans everywhere.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...winnipeg051010

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Winnipeg gets their team back. Those were some true fans. Sold out every game that piece of crap building they had to play in. The problem is NHL players dont feel like living in -5 degree weather for half the year anymore. Especially the high profile guys with their hgih profile wives.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you are correct, but it would be funny to see winnipeg get a hockey team back just to stick it to bettman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...luv to see Winnipeg get thier Jets back...hockey in Canada for Canadians eh...!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bring back the Jets!

Another problem with Bettman is his team expansion. It has watered-down the talent. What the league really neads is contraction. Which teams get the axe is a tough call, though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Bring back the Jets!

Another problem with Bettman is his team expansion. It has watered-down the talent. What the league really neads is contraction. Which teams get the axe is a tough call, though.
    You can start with Florida and Atlanta,

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Avery View Post
    You can start with Florida and Atlanta,
    you can throw in nashville and columbus also

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt mention Columbus because thats their only pro sports team. So i felt bad for them. I do think people go to their games. I could be wrong though

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i mentioned columbus b/c i hate anything in columbus especially OSU

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBensAngel7 View Post
    i mentioned columbus b/c i hate anything in columbus especially OSU
    The Blue Jackets have a pretty decent following and from what I understand hockey is on the map in Ohio. The problem is Bettman's obsession with having an organization thrive in the Sun Belt. Not going to happen! Give Winnipeg back its Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedy fried Toon View Post
    The Blue Jackets have a pretty decent following and from what I understand hockey is on the map in Ohio. The problem is Bettman's obsession with having an organization thrive in the Sun Belt. Not going to happen! Give Winnipeg back its Jets.
    i would also say the carolina hurricanes, but when i visit my parents in the winter i wouldnt have any sporting event to attend..lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What they do need to do is accept that Hockey is always going to be a regional sport, and in places like Florida and Arizona it is always going to fail because the only Ice they've ever seen in their lives is inside their glass.

If you look at the attendance figures, the teams that are dragging up the bottom are mostly warm weather cities. It's no coincidence.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quebec wants their hockey team back as well.

Atlanta, Phoenix, Nashville, Florida. Get rid of these teams. Long Island also has no business having an NHL team.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-12-2010 at 10:16 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd miss if the Panthers left they play 5 minutes from my house.i go to a few games a year.

It does not help their case that they haven't made the playoffs in a decade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would also say the carolina hurricanes, but when i visit my parents in the winter i wouldnt have any sporting event to attend..lol
    No way. There is a huge following down there for the Canes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Avery View Post
    No way. There is a huge following down there for the Canes.
    only b/c they got lucky and won the stanley cup that year. i was there when they first came to town. nobody came to the games, and if they were playing the wings, it was more wings fans.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    only b/c they got lucky and won the stanley cup that year. i was there when they first came to town. nobody came to the games, and if they were playing the wings, it was more wings fans.
    The Wings are like the Steelers of the NFL. Large fan base that also travels well. Carolina and Nashville have strong hockey fan bases. I was down in Nashville during the playoffs and there was a lot of excitement in the city. Hockey is a regional sport and if there is little appreciation in most of the US then there is little chance that fan bases will grow. Hell, asking a bar tender to put on hockey when the Yankees and Mets are playing is tough enough. Almost always you will get a look like you have three heads. Personally, I would love to see Quebec and Winnipeg to get their franchises back.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see Quebec and Winnipeg to get their franchises back.
    i would too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Bring back the Jets!

Actually not that hard at all:

Los Angeles Kings
    Phoenix Coyotes
    Atlanta Thrashers
    Florida Panthers
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    San Jose Sharks
    Nashville Predators
    Columbus Blue Jackets
    Anaheim Mighty Ducks
    And one could also argue the Dallas Stars. Putting teams in a city that NEVER sees snow is a great place to start. Columbus and Nashville are obvious for other reasons.

I would then relocate teams to Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Quebec City, Hamilton, and one other.

Lets face it, hockey is more of a Canadian sport, so why not put teams there? It is OBVIOUS Winnipeg should have their team back, and Hamilton would sell out CONSTANTLY. Saskatchewan with its huge growth this past five years could support a team, as could Quebec. Now, what would really be great is a team on the east coast.

What about Washington or Oregon? What is the support like there?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Actually not that hard at all:

Los Angeles Kings
    Phoenix Coyotes
    Atlanta Thrashers
    Florida Panthers
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    San Jose Sharks
    Nashville Predators
    Columbus Blue Jackets
    Anaheim Mighty Ducks
    And one could also argue the Dallas Stars. Putting teams in a city that NEVER sees snow is a great place to start. Columbus and Nashville are obvious for other reasons.

I would then relocate teams to Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Quebec City, Hamilton, and one other.

Lets face it, hockey is more of a Canadian sport, so why not put teams there? It is OBVIOUS Winnipeg should have their team back, and Hamilton would sell out CONSTANTLY. Saskatchewan with its huge growth this past five years could support a team, as could Quebec. Now, what would really be great is a team on the east coast.

What about Washington or Oregon? What is the support like there?
    You mean west coast? Maybe Seattle, but that's pretty close to Vancouver. Could make an interesting rivalry, though.

I'm all for getting rid of the Ducks. No team should be named after a Disney movie. Ever.