Thread: Gardner needs to be the leadoff hitter

All Pro

Gardner needs to be the leadoff hitter

To me, it just makes too much sense to have Gardner batting 1 with Jeter 2.

Brett can find a way to get on base and then run, bug the pitcher and allow Jeter to see more mistakes. Also Jeet's inside-out swing is perfectly suited for those singles to RF where Gardner can go 1st to 3rd.

Why doesn't Joe see it this way?

I agree, Gardner should be put at the lead off spot for now. Hes getting on base much more often and putting together better at bats. Jeter is striking out way too much and can't get on base, its not like last year. Plus Gardner's speed would be better used as a lead off guy, Jeter wouldn't hit into as many double plays with Gardner stealing.

All League
    Jeter will be fine. They'll score tons of runs either way. I wouldn't really worry about it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Jeter will be fine. They'll score tons of runs either way. I wouldn't really worry about it.
    I'm not worried about Jeter coming around... he will eventually.

What I'm saying is it's better for everyone if Gardner is successful at the top of the lineup. He's just much better suited for that role than Jeter is because of his speed. I'd much rather have Jeter up there with Gardner on base than the other way around. Jeter is more of an RBI man than Gardner -- king of the bunt and infield singles.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 05-19-2010 at 08:00 PM.